It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree Hugging Now Scientifically Validated

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Die hard conservatives love to disparage liberals as tree huggers, but it has been recently scientifically validated that hugging trees is actually good for you. Research has shown that you don't even have to touch a tree to get better, you just need to be within its vicinity has a beneficial effect.

I think a lot people know this already.. Trees are good for us. The vibrational qualities of trees give us health benefits.

The answer to how plants and trees affect us physiologically turns out to be very simple. It is all to do with the fact that everything vibrates in a subtle manner, and different vibrations affect biological behaviours. One research experiment showed that if you drink a glass of water that has been treated with a "10Hz vibration" your blood coagulation rates will change immediately on ingesting the treated water. It is the same with trees, when touching a tree its different vibrational pattern will affect various biological behaviours within your body.

It has also been suggested that trees and open spaces could help to alleviate certain types of mental illness and depression more effectively than drugs. Maybe those tree loving hippys where right after all..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I love this!

One other fascinating laboratory that studies plant vibrational energies is Damanhur,

an intentional community in Italy.

In this peaceful and spiritual ecovillage there is a laboratory in the woods

that offers a beautiful choir of singing trees.

Yeah, you read that right... singing trees.

Since 1976, researchers at Damanhur have invented and

developed equipment that can capture electromagnetic changes on the surface of leaves and roots,

transforming them into actual sounds.

The best part is, these trees seem to control their electrical responses via a feedback mechanism,

and demonstrate a kind of awareness and preference for types of music.

The singing plants and trees of Damanhur have sparked off such a

worldwide fascination that the people began organizing “Plant Concerts”,

where musicians perform to the music created by the trees.

Here's the video from your link..singing plants....

one of Damanhur’s researchers explains the phenomenon.

Tfw.

edit on 12/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Singing trees!!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Please stop. This is not science.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

I have not read the book myself. I do not know if it is purely based on science or not... This is part of the book description..

Western science has chosen to ignore thousands of scientific studies that show there is more to our body’s behaviour than it alone can explain. By combining the simple but ground-breaking principle that everything vibrates with the fact that water retains the vibration of everything it comes into contact with, Silverstone is able to decipher various phenomena such as the biological effect of mobile phone technology that are impossible to understand fully using biochemistry alone.

www.amazon.com...

+12 more 
posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is one of those things that I simply don't care if it's science or placebo.
It feels good.
SF

+3 more 
posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Please stop. This is not science.

Not anymore, or not yet. Depends on who'd you ask.

Great post, thanks purplemer.

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson ~

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
That's incredibly interesting.

There have been controlled studies on plants being affected positively by healers.

www.thehealingtrust.org.uk... This is just one link amongst many.

So it would seem to me that we have a symbiotic relationship with the life on this green and blue marble that we call home.

LUX
S

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The OP reminded me of a roald dahl story

about a man who built a device by which he could hear trees...

The sound machine - Tales of the unexpected.

I watched this as a child and have never doubted that trees and plants are consious lifeforms,

just growing at a slower pace than us, but as aware in their own way of their surroundings.

Nice find.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Thank you for posting this. I think that people who know this already are probably the type of people who don't need validation from science but it's certainly nice to hear it.

Trees are the most amazing way to ground yourself and gain a bit of pick-me-up. Name them, talk to them, and look to their branches for signs. Remember that our bodies recycle into Earth so that tree is literally made from the dead. Imagine the potential significance of that.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I believe plants and trees and all forms of life have an effect on our own.

I always feel refreshed and 'reconnected' after a walk through my local woodland with my dog. I believe it's because the trees' energy is creating this feeling. Everyone should try it - maybe more people would object to rural spaces being concreted over if there are proven health benefits to having them

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

One research experiment showed that if you drink a glass of water that has been treated with a "10Hz vibration" your blood coagulation rates will change immediately on ingesting the treated water.

Is there any evidence to support this claim?

I doubt it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I don't hug trees. There are some big pine spiders on the trees around here
The sap or pitch gets stuck in your clothes also. I did a lot of that when I was young, climbing to the top of a maple and swaying in the wind.

I live amongst the trees, I wouldn't have it any other way. I was out yesterday talking to the trees. It is better than talking to yourself out loud

edit on 12-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Check this out Blinded by science

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

That is an interesting site you listed, never seen that one before. I have to read some of the stuff later today.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
While not directly related to the referenced materials, the following excerpts do show scientific methods being applied to the effect of the natural work on the health of people:

Conclusions: Results suggest that loss of trees to the emerald ash borer increased mortality related
to cardiovascular and lower-respiratory-tract illness. This fınding adds to the growing evidence that
the natural environment provides major public health benefıts.

Geoffrey H. Donovan, PhD, David T. Butry, PhD, Yvonne L. Michael, ScD, Jeffrey P. Prestemon, PhD, Andrew M. Liebhold, PhD, Demetrios Gatziolis, PhD, Megan Y. Mao

The Relationship Between Trees and Human Health

And

We conclude that salivary cortisol measurement offers considerable potential for exploring relationships between wellbeing and green space and discuss how this ecologically valid methodology can be developed to confirm and extend findings in deprived city areas to illuminate why provision of green space close to home might enhance health.

Catharine Ward Thompsona,∗, Jenny Roeb,1, Peter Aspinallb,2, Richard Mitchellc,3, Angela Clowd,4, David Millere,5

More green space is linked to less stress in deprived communities: Evidence from salivary cortisol patterns

And

Geoffrey Donovan, an economist and research forester with the Pacific Northwest Research Station, used public health data, crime statistics, tax records, aerial photos, and other information in the two recent studies. He found that women who live in houses with more trees are less likely to have underweight babies. The study on crime revealed a more complex relationship. Larger trees, including trees located near the street, are associated with a lower incidence of property crimes. Larger numbers of smaller trees—especially trees planted near the home, which may provide a screen for burglars—are associated with higher crime.

Growing Quality of Life: Urban Trees, Birth Weight, and Crime

So you see, here are several studies, performed by scientists of various disciplines, that indicate that nature has a beneficial affect on humans on equally varied aspects of society.

edit on 12-5-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Thanks for the link.. Some Sunday afternoon reading material for me..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
This is one of those things that I simply don't care if it's science or placebo.
It feels good.
SF

Word to Big Bird!

I could definitely see a legit scientific connection anyway. There was a time after all, very long ago, when we lived up in these things - so there could be a primordial part of our brains that still naturally associate their presence with comfort and safety.

Of course don't bother explaining that to the tree-hugging haterz, as many of them don't believe in the evolution thing anyway

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The OP reminded me of a roald dahl story

about a man who built a device by which he could hear trees...

So that begs the OBVIOUS question: Did one fall in a forest with no one around - did it make a sound??

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Those of us who spent a lot of time in the woods know this, especially time spent in our youth.

And for a super-charge, hug (or get close to) a redwood. Thanks for the good natured (pun inten.) thread and subject.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Nevertheless

I have not read the book myself. I do not know if it is purely based on science or not... This is part of the book description..

Western science has chosen to ignore thousands of scientific studies that show there is more to our body’s behaviour than it alone can explain. By combining the simple but ground-breaking principle that everything vibrates with the fact that water retains the vibration of everything it comes into contact with, Silverstone is able to decipher various phenomena such as the biological effect of mobile phone technology that are impossible to understand fully using biochemistry alone.

www.amazon.com...

Please tell me, what exactly is "western science"?
Or better yet, what is non-western science?

Also, you do realize that by saying "western science has chosen to ignore...[...]" means that what the gentleman is talking about is not science?

Also #2, you do realize that by saying "scientifically validated" is a complete lie to which he admits by saying the above?

You do realize that "water retains the vibration of everything it comes to contact with" is complete nonsense, thus not science?
edit on 12-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join