It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, when was the last time you turned the other cheek?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Jesus (your God) taught that if somebody slaps you, you are to turn the other cheek.

Jesus .. a prophet to you ... taught that if somebody slaps you, you are to turn the other cheek.

If you DON'T turn the other cheek, then how could you still call yourself a follower of Jesus' teachings?

Same goes to you. If you don't turn the other cheek then I guess that means that you don't follow the teachings of someone who you consider to be a prophet. Right?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You don't believe in Islam anyway, so why should our opinions on Jesus even matter.

I'm more interested in knowing how well Christians adhere to Jesus' teachings.

Most of you would rather have Jesus as a dead body nailed to the cross so you'd all get your free tickets to heaven.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

You don't believe in Islam anyway, so why should our opinions on Jesus even matter.

Most of you would rather have Jesus as a dead body nailed to the cross so you'd all get your free tickets to heaven.

Isn't that incredibly mean?

I do not think you understand Christianity, you are intolerant of it. What would Jesus say to you for saying so?

your thread inspired this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You don't believe in Christianity anyway, so why should our opinions on Jesus even matter.
Backatchya.

Man .. you make it soooooo easy!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

"Free"??? That's very insulting considering the Son of God paid the ultimate price by giving His life. What if a soldier jumped on a grenade that landed in a foxhole to save all his friends life and later you heard people attacking the others claiming they only enjoy life because the soldier who jumped on the grenade gave them a "free ticket" to continue living? That would be astoundingly arrogant. It's anything but "free" considering He gave all that He could give, His life.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by jiggerj

three people got killed and 300 hurt by the boston bombs
and that in no way is destroying our country.

Slugger, that's insane. One doesn't have to kill everyone to destroy a country. Even if people never speak of it, they feel a bit of fear when going to any pubic event - they would be crazy not to. This changes a country. No one can get on a plane without their privacy be invaded, thanks to 9/11 - this changes a country.

Slugger, the Jews have had 6,000 years to interpret their religious texts as one of peace, love, charity, mercy, tolerance, all that good stuff. Christians have had 2,000 years. Muslims, about 1,500. Billions of people have been believing and interpreting their religious texts for all that time. We know how religion has been used an excuse to start many many wars throughout history, with every warring nation believing that god is on their side. Tell me, Slugger, can you name a time when the love of a god PREVENTED a war from happening? Can you tell me when all this love going around ever stopped a rapist? A killer?

Really, what good has interpreting the bible done for mankind at any time throughout history?

edit on 5/13/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jiggerj

You missed my opinion on the OP.

You mean about being slapped?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

"There is no God," so must people be allowed to say "There is a God, and this is my belief about Him."
reply to post by charles1952

Good day, Charles. Hope you are well. I just got out of work, so I'm beat. But I love your posts, so I will respond. Sure, people are allowed to believe in a god. But, how would you treat a fully grown adult insisting that Santa Claus existed and brings him presents every year? That would be kind of weird, right? Maybe you'd walk on the other side of the street if you saw this person coming.

But, even this FREAK, and all freaks like him, have never ever hurt anyone. Their beliefs would never start the Santa Crusades, the Santa Inquisition, and they would never fly a sleigh into a skyscraper with thousands of people in it. They would never place pressure cooker bombs in gift wrapped boxes with ribbons and blow people up.

It's okay to believe in ANYTHING as long as it doesn't hurt ANYONE. But, the minute it does, people have to step in and make sure that that organization is shut right down.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You may say that religion has to go, but the evidence of history is that it will not go. There are tens of thousands of people in China who practice their religion, in fear of arrest, despite the awesome power of that society. Each one of those people is evidence that your desired solution is a pipe dream.

This isn't necessarily so. Sure, it's an uphill battle, but people are coming to their senses. Even members of the clergy, some of them considered to be learned men, are coming forward to say that Adam and Eve weren't real. That the Garden of Eden is a fictional story to be used as a moral guide. Of course, what they don't realize is that without a real Adam and Eve then all the begats leading from Adam and Eve to the Virgin Mary are false. If these begats (soooo many of them) are fictitious, then it makes the bible a whole book of questionable tales.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I have no trouble with Muslims or Jews saying my beliefs are wrong, but I do not accept people telling me that my beliefs are not allowed.

No, no, it's not that they are not allowed. It's that your beliefs are not allowed in public, and not allowed to poison a child's mind until they are old enough to think for themselves. Happy 18th Birthday, let me tell you about an all-loving god that once killed everyone on the planet except for one man's family and a big boat of animals. See, at the age of 18 it would be near impossible to brainwash someone into believing such crap.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I do not feel threatened by foolish or wrong beliefs.

Please, Charles, I want you to really REALLY try to imagine yourself at the Boston Marathon when those bombs went off. Watch as your leg gets blown off at the knee. Watch as your blood sprays onto a mother carrying her baby.

Try to imagine looking out the window of the World Trade Center as a giant plane crashes into your office.

What would happen if you stood on a busy street in New York and screamed "I AM A CHRISTIAN." Now, try to imagine what would happen if you stood on a busy street in (pick a Middle Eastern country, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia...) and yelled out the same thing. How about Egypt, where a woman is now imprisoned for 7 years for switching from Islam to Christianity.

If you are at all sane, then like any other sane person not only would you feel threatened, you'd be frightened to death.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Religions are foolish and dangerous.

That is not your call, or mine, to make.

No, you're right. It's history's call, and it's been proven time and time and time and time and time again.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I do not comment without offering rational reasons why the bible should be thrown out, and religions destroyed. My logic is sound. My reasoning is clear.

But how sound and clear is it if the conclusion is both impossible and unconstitutional?

Governments have been toppled through revolutions to change laws. Imagine a majority consensus that Hitler couldn't be stopped, or Polio, or anything that has threatened the world. We'd be in a fine mess, wouldn't we? So, it is not impossible, and constitutions can be rewritten.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

P.p.s. Also, you don't know where I live. - C -

No fear. I'm an atheist so I can't read the bible and interpret it in ways that show how it's okay to kill in the name of god or allah.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jiggerj

You missed my opinion on the OP.

You mean about being slapped?

Yes, that is the topic.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by jiggerj

your religion is
eliminate all religions, right.

My religion is the Earth and my fellow man. Hurt any of them with your religion (even if it's just poisoning their minds) and you greatly offend me.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

P.p.s. Also, you don't know where I live. - C -

No fear. I'm an atheist so I can't read the bible and interpret it in ways that show how it's okay to kill in the name of god or allah.

Neither can Christians. So what is the point?

And allah would be an issue with the quran.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Claiming that neither can Christians kill in the name of god is YOUR interpretation of the bible. How about the interpretation that allowed for the Christian Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition? How many wars have there been in just the last hundred years where this Christian god was on OUR side (no matter which side that is)?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

You could just not put yourself into a situation where you will get slapped. I don't go poking bears where it ain't necessary.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

Claiming that neither can Christians kill in the name of god is YOUR interpretation of the bible. How about the interpretation that allowed for the Christian Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition? How many wars have there been in just the last hundred years where this Christian god was on OUR side (no matter which side that is)?

The bible says God is love. It is impossible to kill in the name of love. Therefore it is impossible that anyone has ever been killed in the name of God. The word that best describes God's nature, love. God is love, killing is against God.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join