It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, when was the last time you turned the other cheek?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25
reply to post by jiggerj

The clear meaning is to love one another. Does anyone dispute that is what Jesus said?

The debate is not the clear meaning it is how do we love one another?

We think we understand but we are mostly wrong, most of the time. So even if we do believe that God has made clear something to us it could still be said that we are still searching just like you.

Should we follow you instead? Do you have clear meaning?
edit on 12-5-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

That's just it. If you follow me the way everyone follows the bible then I don't need a clear message. I could say, never turn on the water in a rain storm, and YOU will find some way to make sense of it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well there are various perspectives, but according to the Islamic view of the Bible and prophetic tradition the God of the Bible is the same as Allah.
It is one true God with many prophets.

See for example:

edit on 12-5-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

You know I respect you, but you're cutting close to my literary heart here.

You condemn the Bible when the words are taken literally, and condemn it when they're not. Will you destroy the whole concept of the metaphor? That's what all His parables are, that's the way He rolls.

I'm sure you don't believe that we are to take out our micromometers to see if our faith is a large as a mustard seed. Cut us a little slack on this one, Ok?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Lol not in the physical sense, I will not argue with my enemy but I will use love to combat him.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Do you ever teach goodness?

or do you only talk about what is wrong?

Try touching someones heart, not pissing them off.

As for me, I am dead to the law of sin because I am alive in Christ. If I sin, I go humbly back to God and ask to be forgiven and healed.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You condemn the Bible...
Cut us a little slack on this one, Ok?

I can't, Charles. And, we shouldn't. It's not just Christianity; all religions HAVE TO GO! How would it be if we condemned the Klu Klux Klan, but said it was okay to practice this foolishness in our homes and teach it to our children? We can't allow Muslims to say that their beliefs are okay, but not extremist beliefs. We can't allow Jews to say that their religion is okay, but Islam and Christianity are not.

If we support one religion then on one level or another we support them all. Right now our own constitution is being used to destroy us. Freedom of religion makes us defenseless against extremist religious views. The Tsarnaev brothers prove this. After living for 15 years, a length of time that should have Americanized them, their religious beliefs killed good American citizens.

So, no, I cannot let up. Religions are foolish and dangerous. I do not comment without offering rational reasons why the bible should be thrown out, and religions destroyed. My logic is sound. My reasoning is clear. It has to be if I am to open the eyes of just one believer of this destructive fantasy.

Do you think people like Hitchins, Dawkins, and Harris debate religion just because it's fun? Why would they care if no harm came from religion? They believe as I do that religion will (is) the downfall of mankind.
edit on 5/12/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you mean "no clear meaning"?

People tend to find their own understanding in the bible, depending on what they're looking for

Exactly. If they find their own meanings they can do that with ANY book, depending on what they're looking for. If the bible doesn't have one clear message for all, then it's just a bunch of words and meanings that can be found in Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, or any Steven King novel - as you say, depending on what they're looking for.

Wouldn't you say that the one clear meaning in the bible... And all other "holy books", is that there is life after this life?

Since you mention Alice in Wonderland...

All one has to do is follow the rabbit down the hole and find out where it leads

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

three people got killed and 300 hurt by the boston bombs
and that in no way is destroying our country.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You missed my opinion on the OP.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

And here I thought my plea for the defense of the metaphor would touch your heart.

jiggerj, I know you to be thoughtful and serious. In all decency and fairness to you, I have to respond. I wish I could do a more polished job, would you settle, for now, for a few fuzzy concepts?

all religions HAVE TO GO!
And I say, all religions HAVE TO STAY. People from the beginning have searched for the truth about the Supernatural. The existence of god, or gods, has been the underpinning of all societies until our modern day. I respect people's choice to search for the truth, either in or out of religion. Just as individuals can say "There is no God," so must people be allowed to say "There is a God, and this is my belief about Him."

Besides, you realize that, barring severe brainwashing, people will explore the question of God whether or not we insist that religion must go. You may say that religion has to go, but the evidence of history is that it will not go. There are tens of thousands of people in China who practice their religion, in fear of arrest, despite the awesome power of that society. Each one of those people is evidence that your desired solution is a pipe dream.

The most which you can argue is that all religions are bad. And even then your argument seems to be that it's not that all religions are bad, but that we have to treat them all as bad in order to have grounds to defeat the threat of Islam or violent religious actors. Not only must we treat all religions as bad, but we must treat theories, such as racial separtism (Ku Klux Klan?) as bad and prevent parents from teaching it to their children in their homes. How do we create a Department of Approved Theories (under Homeland Security, no doubt), and what theories will they approve?

I have no trouble with Muslims or Jews saying my beliefs are wrong, but I do not accept people telling me that my beliefs are not allowed.

If we support one religion then on one level or another we support them all.
Depending on what that level is to which you refer, I agree completely. Support them all.

Right now our own constitution is being used to destroy us.
We allow the Communist Party, we even allow Nancy Pelosi.
(Fine, read Sarah Palin for Pelosi, if you're so inclined.) I do not feel threatened by foolish or wrong beliefs.

I do, however, fear beliefs which incite people to violence, or the overthrow of the government. What do we do about the people who are so incited? I have no trouble with placing agents in every House of Worship in the country. In most, they would be welcomed and subjected to pleas that they convert. I also have no trouble with agents using "stings" against people reasonably suspected. We have laws against the threats of the various religious "extremists," we should use them without concerns for their political correctness. But taking governmental steps against beliefs is wrong and useless.

Religions are foolish and dangerous.
That is not your call, or mine, to make.

I do not comment without offering rational reasons why the bible should be thrown out, and religions destroyed. My logic is sound. My reasoning is clear.
But how sound and clear is it if the conclusion is both impossible and unconstitutional?

Do you think people like Hitchins, Dawkins, and Harris debate religion just because it's fun? Why would they care if no harm came from religion?
I have no idea what the motivations of those distinguished gentlemen may be. Might I point out that it is almost a cliche to note that people with three or four degrees often have crazy ideas? ( I might be one of them.)

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. I write to you like this because you have a penetrating and thoughtful mind with a willingness to explore different arguments. - C -

P.p.s. Also, you don't know where I live.
- C -

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Every day I dont stick .357 in someones face, I tun the other cheek.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

It's all about interpretation. Apparently.

Being an atheist, and viewing this from the sidelines, It always seems to me that Christians like to interpret the Bible to suit their own particular " Brand " of Christianity, and woe will betide you if you disagree with their view !

My answer to "Turning the other cheek" was always " An eye for an eye " but Christians I know will say that is too simplistic, and proceed to espouse their personal take on the matter.

So the Bible is a meaningless work of fiction, completely open to interpretation and manipulation, depending on your viewpoint ?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Thats why theres an OT and a NT

The old is useless...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

The old is useless...

God’s word is the same yesterday today and tomorrow.

Your word is NOT...

"All men are liars." Psalm 116:11

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

your religion is
eliminate all religions, right.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

The old is useless...

God’s word is the same yesterday today and tomorrow.

Your word is NOT...

"All men are liars." Psalm 116:11

Sure i'll agree with that...

Though thats only because the OT is not Gods word...

Your god said all that came before me are thieves and robbers...

Guess where that leaves the OT...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
People "think" Jesus was saying this...
People "think" Jesus was saying that...

Well according to The Bible Jesus said "Do not resist evil: if someone smites you on the right cheek turn to him the other also".

This is SPECIFICALLY telling you what to do. If you do not follow you are not even trying to follow Jesus's teaching according to the bible and you are making excuses, therefore you are not a Christian.

I know so many so-called Christians and they all feel like they are entitled to force people not to "sin" and also "protest" and not turn the other cheek, even when Christians are specifically told to "resist not evil" and to "turn the other cheek". Hypocrites.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
All you non Christians on this particular
thread who are trash talking Christians
for not perfectly following the Word of
God or the example of Jesus are a
bunch of phoney vipers.

Humans are not perfect,
never have been and never will be.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
All you non Christians on this particular
thread who are trash talking Christians
for not perfectly following the Word of
God or the example of Jesus are a
bunch of phoney vipers.

Humans are not perfect,
never have been and never will be.

Or as Jesus famously said. He who is without sin may cast the first stone.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarriorOfLight96
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Lol not in the physical sense, I will not argue with my enemy but I will use love to combat him.

Well, arguing isn't necessarily bad if you're defending truth. Christ exemplified this and truth should always be defended.

Maybe it's just me, but someone else's words don't really get me angry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join