It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, when was the last time you turned the other cheek?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Jesus (your God) taught that if somebody slaps you, you are to turn the other cheek.

So if someone were to slap you, would you slap him back, or would you be a true christian and remember what Jesus taught.... and turn the other cheek?

If you DON'T turn the other cheek, then how could you still call yourself a follower of Jesus' teachings?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I know I will probably get pummeled for this, but I think he may have speaking more about diplomacy, or peace keeping. Perhaps he felt that by jumping into the fight we were further escalating the problem.

On a smaller level such as a one on one fight, this action will probably only get you severely injured, but on a larger level it might just get you from blowing up the entire planet.

After all, we are still reading his words. Maybe at some point he figured this message would help.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” Matthew 5:39

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” Matthew 5:39

Many people want to bypass these provocative words from Jesus because they seem to imply that we are to allow people to just beat the tar out of us and not resist physical violence and injury. Having a sense of what I think Jesus really meant by these words causes me to wonder at how easily we get deceived into believing that it means something that is impossible to obey. God does not give us commands that are impossible to obey. He certainly gives us ones that are difficult and that challenge us but never ones that are impossible.

In order to understand what God wants of us, it is important to catch key details. Anytime the Bible gives a particularly vivid detail we need to pay attention. There is a vivid key detail in this verse that speaks volumes. Jesus said, if someone “strikes you on the right cheek” then you are to turn your face to him in such a way as to present your left cheek. The implication being that he may hit you again. What is the significance of the “right” cheek. Why not the left cheek? Picture someone getting hit on the right cheek. What is the most likely way for that to happen? Since most people are right handed and would hit someone with the right hand, then the only way for them to hit someone on the right cheek is to do it as a backhanded slap. What Jesus is speaking about here is not letting someone pummel you into a pile of broken bones. Rather He is talking about taking an insult. I backhanded slap is just that. It is an insult that challenges you to retaliate. It is an attempt to shame you and get you to either back down in utter humiliation or lash out and escalate the conflict.

To turn the other cheek is neither humiliating nor retaliation. It is rather a response of strength that says, “I will not seek revenge because I am stronger than that”. It also says, I will not respond in shame because I have dignity in Christ. My dignity is not found in if I can hit you back and hurt you. My dignity is found in Christ and I will respond in just the way He would respond.

In practice there are very few times in ones life when another person would give you an actual backhanded slap. There are times when they might give you a verbal one, or show great disrespect for you in some other way. It is those things that get people all worked up and excited. Think of how often you see people arguing and fighting because someone “disrespected” them. What they are looking for is dignity. They want an acknowledgement that they are a person of substance and importance. If someone does not give them that respect then they feel somehow violated. The means to get that respect and dignity is to exert power over the other person and show that you are stronger, better, more significant than they are. So instead of turning the other cheek, you strike back, preferably with even more force. If that is what you need to do to get respect and dignity then you will never have it.

Our dignity comes because we are made in the image of God. Our significance comes because we are called by Jesus to be world changers. Our power and strength comes because we are filled with the Holy Spirit who gives us the ability to receive the insults of others and respond with as Christ responded to those who hurled insults at Him.

Black athletes who broke the color barrier in professional sports understood this. People like Jackie Robinson knew that they would face insult after insult. Those insults were intended to humiliate and incite an even more violent response. The hope was that such a response would then justify the impression of the black man as out of control and uncivilized. But when the response was a quiet dignity that came from within it changed the world. Racial barriers began to fall and reconciliation started to take place.

It is no different for Christians. When we respond to insults with the same kind of vindictiveness then we affirm for the world that Christianity is a sham and a joke. But when we respond in quiet dignity, drawing on the power of Christ, we provoke a response of respect and wonder and we compel people to want to learn more about Jesus. Turning the other cheek is not impossible, but it is difficult. But when we do respond with the gentle dignity of Jesus, then we bring glory to Him.

edit on 12-5-2013 by slugger9787 because: provocativechristian.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Both times I was slapped I didn't hit back.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Do it all the time on this site.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If I would want to subtly influence some serious bad karma into someones life, I would apply this teaching. I often apply this application when someone close to me deliberately tries to push my buttons with hurtful words.

If someone is brazen enough to actually slap me, they best brace themselves.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Splendid question, and that would really show faith would it not?

I'm not a christian... but alot of what Christ is supposed to have said still rings very true to me. I've never turned the other cheek, but i have never returned the favour in anger either. Bloody difficult.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think Jesus was talking about more than not reciprocating physical violence. Letting go of the comments that wound is hard.

It takes forgiveness and that is a hard choice to make sometimes.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Jesus (your God) taught that if somebody slaps you, you are to turn the other cheek.

So if someone were to slap you, would you slap him back, or would you be a true christian and remember what Jesus taught.... and turn the other cheek?

If you DON'T turn the other cheek, then how could you still call yourself a follower of Jesus' teachings?

Yes I have been struck several times without striking back. I have never, except playfully, punched anouther human being with a closed fist. I did smack a woman who was throwing jabs at my face for about 10min but that is the most violent moment of my life.

I believe that not turning the other check can only lead to war. The Hatfield's and McCoy's. At some point you don't even have to know why you are at war you just are.

Anyone who says they want peace but either starts a war or continues a war is a liar. All disagreements lead to separation. I think the term peaceful-separation is kind of an oxymoron. Eventually greed and coveting will give you the reason you need to go to war.

If you want peace "turn the other cheek", It is the only chance we have.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

I think he meant "turn the other cheek", without any further need for interpretation.

I think "turn the other cheek", is one of the foundations to loving like Christ. He stood up for this principle by allowing himself to be obedient to death on a cross. He did not have to die this way, he "turned the other cheek" to do the will of the father.

I imagine that there is one exception. Jesus calls God our father and thus as father I imagine we have feelings for our children similar to the ones he has for us. And I can tell you that if God himself challenges my daughter I'm going down before she ever will.

But as far as myself I will do the best I can to do exactly what he said every time.

You can't have an argument if one person turns the other cheek
When you argue the one who choose love first wins, because they are the only ones guaranteed to feel love.
Always pursue the feeling love and you will not fail to find love.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarriorOfLight96
Do it all the time on this site.

Oh come on. You can't be assaulted over the internet. Lol

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Jesus taught us to feed the birds and collect the guano,

to do unto others as we would have done to us,

to treat others as we would like to be treated.

If someone slapped my cheek,

I would punch them squarely in the face.

Anyone who slaps someone in the face deserves no less.

I'm sure Jesus would agree.

Tfw.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Christians, when was the last time you turned the other cheek?

These are the responses on just one page here:

From Starsindust

I know I will probably get pummeled for this, but I think... Maybe at some point

This from Slugger's offline text:

Having a sense of what I think

From Sad_eye_lady

I think Jesus was talking about

From Sacgamer

I believe that...
I I think he meant
I think "turn the other cheek"
I imagine that

Four opinions on only four words in the bible: Turn the other cheek. It's good to know that the messages in the bible are as clear as ever. Does everyone say to themselves, "I'll read the bible and make up what I believe it means,"?

Imagine what life would be like if everyone had their own opinion on what 2+2=4 means. I believe it really means 2+2=5, but when the sun is out it could be 2+2=57

It's just wrong people. You need to stop following a book that has no clear meaning. If you can make up any old thing on every single word in the bible, then you can get the exact same results from ANY book.

I think that the ring in the Hobbit series represents temptation, and Frodo Baggins represents how if we never give in to those temptations we can overcome them. Isn't that good? What do you think the ring represents?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you mean "no clear meaning"?

People tend to find their own understanding in the bible, depending on what they're looking for

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Why are you asking the Christians?
Jesus is also a prophet and example in Islam, or not so?
So what is your answer?

I've been slapped by a few people, and I never once slapped back.
Except for my parents or grandparents (whom I have forgiven), the others later apologized.
They take their own dignity not mine.
They might look like big men at the time, but their friends who see this also know they are not good to be around.
Fear is not respect.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Why are you asking the Christians?
Jesus is also a prophet and example in Islam, or not so?
So what is your answer?

I've been slapped by a few people, and I never once slapped back.
Except for my parents or grandparents (whom I have forgiven), the others later apologized.
They take their own dignity not mine.
They might look like big men at the time, but their friends who see this also know they are not good to be around.
Fear is not respect.

Does the muslim Jesus tell them to turn the other cheek as well?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The clear meaning is to love one another. Does anyone dispute that is what Jesus said?

The debate is not the clear meaning it is how do we love one another?

We think we understand but we are mostly wrong, most of the time. So even if we do believe that God has made clear something to us it could still be said that we are still searching just like you.

Should we follow you instead? Do you have clear meaning?
edit on 12-5-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Good question.

But yes, as far as I know they should follow Jesus as a prophet, and Islamic proselytizing literature aimed at Christians uses many verses from the Gospels to show that Jesus prayed like a Muslim and followed the Old Testament God.

So they must also try and obey his teachings as a prophet.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Akragon

Good question.

But yes, as far as I know they should follow Jesus as a prophet, and Islamic proselytizing literature aimed at Christians uses many verses from the Gospels to show that Jesus prayed like a Muslim and followed the Old Testament God.

So they must also try and obey his teachings as a prophet.

I wouldn't be so sure Jesus Followed the OT God...

You might want to look into that

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you mean "no clear meaning"?

People tend to find their own understanding in the bible, depending on what they're looking for

Exactly. If they find their own meanings they can do that with ANY book, depending on what they're looking for. If the bible doesn't have one clear message for all, then it's just a bunch of words and meanings that can be found in Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, or any Steven King novel - as you say, depending on what they're looking for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join