It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama suffer the "second-term curse"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Please read the link and whole post before posting a reply. I will call you out on it.

Interesting story...

Recent events suggest that the 44th president may not be immune to the phenomenon that historians call the “second-term curse.”

Not four months after his ambitious inaugural address, President Obama finds himself struggling to move his legislative agenda through an unbudging Congress.

And over the past week, two flaring controversies — one over his administration’s handling of the killing of the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya, the other over Internal Revenue Service employees targeting tea party groups for special scrutiny — have dominated the discussion in Washington.

Link to article.

So I kind of see what they are saying about the whole "second-term curse" thing. However could it just be the new coming off, so to speak? Or how about maybe just a sea of needles?

I'd like to hear ATS chime in on the whole "second-term curse" aspect. Please keep the demo"cratic"and repub"lican", political party of choice [snip] talking points to minimum.

I WANT TO HEAR OPINIONS ABOUT THE SECOND-TERM CURSE?!?! Crazy or credible? Why?

edit on 12-5-2013 by thesungod because: half a sentence corrected

edit on 12-5-2013 by thesungod because: spelling

edit on Sun May 12 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

There is a part of me that thinks that this is all part of the plan.

On Friday, for instance, news of the IRS admission and developments surrounding the Benghazi attack turned White House press secretary Jay Carney’s daily briefing into a feeding frenzy and drowned out coverage of a speech that Obama was giving that day on the implementation of the health-care law that stands as his biggest achievement.

Everytime the health-care law starts to become big news, something else comes up to distract from it. Even members from his own party are calling it a "Train wreck".

The Senate’s top Democrat said this week he agrees with Sen. Max Baucus’ recent comments warning of “a huge train wreck coming down” if President Obama’s health care overhaul isn’t implemented properly.

People are paying to much attention on one thing or another when there are many things that need to be looked at. This Congress can't multi-task at all.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I didn't really see him as a big deal on his first term, I voted for him and saw nothing from him, his biggest achievement Health care reform, is a clusterfunk waiting to happen. I agree we needed Universal Health care, but a better system, than his which will end up, cost way more than it supposed to.

As for his second term, I don't see him being able to do much, the Curse, is an interesting aspect, I had forgotten about, I still in my heart of hearts, hope, he will do great, things, and not the drivel he has done so far, he allowing U.S citizens to be arrested by the military and detained indefinitely under the 1012 USDA is Treason.

But I didn't see any one getting too upset about that, I think Obama is going to be know for the little sneaky things he has done, that most Americans didn't understand at first.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Perhaps the question should be reframed; "Should Obama be IMPEACHED?"

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
He didn't get much done the first time, why blame his continuing failure on a "curse"?
His "train wreck" doesn't count as getting something done.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Perhaps the question should be reframed; "Should Obama be IMPEACHED?"

For?

You can't impeach someone just because you don't like them.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

He could barely get anything done in his first term. I don't think the republicans are magically going to start getting along with the guy. It's not a curse, it's just politics. We have a divided government, it's likely to stay that way too. If the GOP can get their crap together they might get the Senate back, but this would require running people who don't spew outdated religious bile.

As I said earlier in 2012 after the big loss of the senate in what should have been an easy election for the GOP-The Tea Party is getting kicked out of the tent or defanged at the very least. Tea Party candidates lost that election for the GOP and they won't make the same mistake.

I wouldn't get too excited GOP'ers, it's likely if they get the White House back in 2016 they will lose the house and senate, just how it works historically. With the demographics the way they are it's hard for me to believe the GOP is going to win without a serious overhaul to their platform.

I'm not voting for any of em though, just making my Machiavellian real-politic analysis.
edit on 12-5-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Will Obama suffer the "second-term curse"?

From this vantage point, I'd say that he already has and that it's just begun.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DistantRumor

Treason? In 2012 he authorized the indefinite incarceration of American citizens under the U.S military. In effect suspending Habeas corpus. If that is not an Impeachable act I don't know what is.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
reply to post by DistantRumor

Treason? In 2012 he authorized the indefinite incarceration of American citizens under the U.S military. In effect suspending Habeas corpus. If that is not an Impeachable act I don't know what is.

That would be your Congress as well that passed the bill and threaten to overide a Presidential veto if he did not sign. Of course if such a thing occures then it will be up to the courts to decide if it is legal or not. That is the way the system was set up from the begining. So clearly you do not know what an impreacable act is.

As for Obama, all he has to do keep from doing anything stupid and he will go out on top. Come into office in the middle of and economic collapse and two wars and leave with an economy booming with peace and your legacy is a going to be a good one.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Decent replies all, well except for the baiting with the Impeachment thing.

Stars all around, minus one.

I'd like to hear some other opinions. Que up ATS. Please?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm aware, how our system works. The people, must vote them out. Yet the president didn't have to sign, He could have vetoed it. Even if they override it, he could at least said he stood for the people, and didn't back down. As it stands now, all he showed is that he is willing to be cowed by congress.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Look. For as Much as I dislike this President, I am all for this Nation to heal and fix itself.

We will have none of that until their is TRANSPARENCY. The same transparency promised when he took office, long ago in his first term. This Polarization is wrong, and he has to know this.

The article is interesting, but it doesn't say anything we don't know. From the White House not giving up all the facts, with Benghazi, to the President alienating himself with Loyalists.
edit on 12-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I'm far less concerned about his second term performance as I am his 3rd term agenda!

If Benghazi doesn't bring him down then he's got smooth sailing through 2020.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't believe it is a matter of a curse, it's just the past catching up with him! But I think they are using Bengazi to escape the birth issue. If he was impeached on the Bengazi issue everything he signed stays in effect. If he were impeached on inelligebility for not being born a citizen, everything he signed would be voided! There are videos of him and Michelle saying he was born in Kenya. He claimed he was Kenyan at Harvard. Plus the birth certificate issues. So I think tptb are allowing the Bengazi debacle to be "discovered" to save everything he has signed.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Magister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Appropriate
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join