It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't you just hate it....When you forget your password...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Don't you just hate when you forget your password and it's hidden by ******* then you go on yahoo searching for the tricks of the trade and just when you remember how to find your password through the hidden ******** and you go to log in, they block you because you did too many attempts and now .... You have to change your dang password all over again....

Buggers..

Next time...

Right click on mouse, go to view page info, security, view saved password and show password... Done.. And open the window in full mode to see the password.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You want to see frustration! Try forgetting your password to an encrypted drive! No amount of searching is going to help you. I am having that problem right now.
Laugh or cry and I can't cry so laugh it is!

P

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Good luck with that.

So sorry.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have one rule.

If I forget a password to a certain site or folder...It couldn't have been very important anyway.

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

First world problems ?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I do write my passwords down.
Not in plain form though.

eg. My password is Lunch6Time#2
I'd write it down as L6T.2

That way it can jog my memory, but nobody else happening apon it would be able to use it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I have one rule.

If I forget a password to a certain site or folder...It couldn't have been very important anyway.

Peace

It is my whole C drive
I have a super fast computer with specs to die for, dual screens, built into a 150 year old organ that is now a desk, and the thing just sits there saying

"Incorrect Password"
"Password" ..........

P

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Don't you just hate when you forget your password and it's hidden by ******* then you go on yahoo searching for the tricks of the trade and just when you remember how to find your password through the hidden ******** and you go to log in, they block you because you did too many attempts and now .... You have to change your dang password all over again....

I don't quite get it..... the ******** would, at best, have only held your last failed attempt. You might try one of the password lockers such as Identity Safe which I won't either recommend or not recommend. (I wish it could be used on any of the major browsers). Of course you need a password for that one too but a single complex password is something you can work on recalling.

The main advantage is any site you go to with different password requirements than typical is no longer a problem. Enter anything and the password locker saves it.

IMO, this is better than resetting passwords with the security questions. Most of those involve things people post on facebook (if they use such a thing) or is available in public databases: pet names, old addresses, place of birth, mother's maiden name, high school.... If you rely on those, a really secure password means almost nothing. With a little work, any half-intelligent person can dig that up pretty quickly for the average person and begin guessing away.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I hate it completely.

My solution, as Jude pointed out, if it is important you will remember it.

For the others...use a system of shifts and a keyboard pattern that is important to you. Keep the patterns simple so you can guess it within three tries.

My military pwds are 18 characters long and have to have at least 2 lowercase, uppercase, numbers, special symbols, can't repeat at all. (I can use my CAC for the important pwds...mil related.)

My system of shifts and keyboard pattern hasn't been broken by the military pwd sniffers to this date. The 18 characters is the key. You can take a simple phrase and turn it into 18 characters with ease.

Example: my favorite aunt baked the best shortbread cakes for my sweet sixteenth birthday bash. [email protected] any variant of that. The holding of the shift can alter the text, but still allow the meaningful pattern. Get your pattern and keep it.

... I'd suggest a different pattern for public forums.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by skonaz

First world problems ?

No, I'm sure the same thing happens to kids in Africa when they log onto facebook.

But I find it infuriating when I forget a password to a site that is needed and not a recreational thing, and it gives you the "Too many attempts, call xxxxxxxx for assistance."

TALKING TO A REAL PERSON!!!! God damn it.. Oo

I almost forgot the password to my crypto wallet.. now that would make me cry.

edit on 12-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by jude11
I have one rule.

Peace

It is my whole C drive
I have a super fast computer with specs to die for, dual screens, built into a 150 year old organ that is now a desk, and the thing just sits there saying

"Incorrect Password"
"Password" ..........

P

That sound ridiculous !!! Where do you live, are you going away any time soon??

Haha I had an old PC built into a desk draw when 286's were all the rage. those where the days when a motherboard was almost flat.. as opposed to these days where the cooling takes up more room than the power supply.

That's it.. I'm not putting up with this old piece of crap any more. I have to get a proper new computer. almost 10 years is long enough to have the same specs..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BayesLike

Originally posted by Manhater

I don't quite get it..... the ******** would, at best, have only held your last failed attempt. You might try one of the password lockers such as Identity Safe which I won't either recommend or not recommend. (I wish it could be used on any of the major browsers). Of course you need a password for that one too but a single complex password is something you can work on recalling.

The main advantage is any site you go to with different password requirements than typical is no longer a problem. Enter anything and the password locker saves it.

IMO, this is better than resetting passwords with the security questions. Most of those involve things people post on facebook (if they use such a thing) or is available in public databases: pet names, old addresses, place of birth, mother's maiden name, high school.... If you rely on those, a really secure password means almost nothing. With a little work, any half-intelligent person can dig that up pretty quickly for the average person and begin guessing away.

Just do what I do. Use the same password on everything that you used to use on old dial up bbs's when you were 12. If you forget that one, you've got more worries than logging in.

haha i kid i kid.. it's not good advice at all. oO

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

286DX...or was it the 386dx? 33mghz was the top of the line back then...good times.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty

My military pwds are 18 characters long and have to have at least 2 lowercase, uppercase, numbers, special symbols, can't repeat at all. (I can use my CAC for the important pwds...mil related.)

Eighteen characters is a good length, but the inclusion of minimums for numbers, ect really weakens the requirement if people are allowed to choose a compliant password or select among compliant passwords. Most people will go with the minimums on everything but the lower case numbers -- and will use what they find easiest to recall. Anyone trying to guess, by brute force, the password to a specific account will make use of the minimums to reduce the amount of work. In that case, a full 20 lowercase characters is over 30k times stronger than the military minimum. Which means it will take over 30k times as long to break.

I use words from several languages (English equivalents as needed), at least 20 characters where permitted. If other requirements are imposed (caps, numbers, punctuation) they go between the words.

In any case, a smart person trying to break into a secure area will attempt the same password combination on many, many thousands of possible accounts rather than many passwords on a single account. The reason is the time-out configurations are set for each account not each password attempted (unless they are a really, really smart security team). These are nearly pointless requirements which are meant to keep the little people out. If you really need access to a specific account, there are better ways to proceed.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

Most systems now will lock your account after three tries. That was where I was going with the within three thing.

God help you if you forget your retrieval questions...that is where I get F'd up on.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

286DX...or was it the 386dx? 33mghz was the top of the line back then...good times.

Plain ol' 286, the 386sx came next for me and I finally got one with a maths coprocessor, making it a dx. lol

ahh the days when you had to reach around the back of the box to flip a switch and turn on the turbo. 33mhz to 66mhz. and when I got my first 10mb hdd I could store a bunch of games on there.

kids today with their fruit products scare me. I saw a baby with an ipad. and it knew what it was doing.

scary...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Most systems now will lock your account after three tries. That was where I was going with the within three thing.

God help you if you forget your retrieval questions...that is where I get F'd up on.

Haha I actually use the same word for them too. Oo never been hacked. I do enough damage with a failing memory as it is, to not require external help.

But the worst is when its a question that has a number of possible answers given the spelling, like Saint Patrick, for example.. did I write, st patrick, saint patrick, st. patrick, and by time I've gotten to the correct one, it's locked.

I honestly think with the requirements for passwords that have more than 10 chars, with a requirement for upper and lower case letters and numbers included, more and more people will simply write it down.

'pencil'... that was when it was easy to remember but people still wrote it down.. it's tripped itself up by it's own complexity..

*^ reference to wargames for anyone not aware lol*

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Just do what I do. Use the same password on everything that you used to use on old dial up bbs's when you were 12. If you forget that one, you've got more worries than logging in.

haha i kid i kid.. it's not good advice at all. oO

I haven't run into you much before, I'm kinda new here in some ways, but I'm beginning to like your POV.

I do recall when 12k baud was a really fast connection. Then again, I've also held actual iron core bits in my hand, bits large enough you could see the hole. Admittedly the iron core was a little dated then... When teletypes came out, that was really cool -- cards and paper tape were no longer required.

I personally dislike password changes, although I do it from time to time. I'm not sure it's really useful for a personal account if the system times you out provided your password is long enough. If someone is trying to hack my account and doing a sequential search though, they are stupid. If I change passwords too often I'm being stupid for some technical reasons I won't go into here..

The biggest problem I have with passwords is encrypted material I keep for years (decades even). When you update passwords, you have to find all the old encrypted stuff and re-encrypt it. Beyond just keeping some material safe, one of the best reasons to encrypt is to secure a file against bad bits making the file unreadable. Some, but definitely not all, encryption methods provide for preservation against multiple bad bits per word. That's a good thing.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

If you want my advice, you should never ever answer those questions with the correct answer. Make up a completely fictitious self and family. Password resets are always the easiest port of entry for a hacker. The typical questions are generally public data on you and your family or information you might post a clue about online. If you are really concerned about security, use the same fictitious data when signing up for the account as well. Some resets are made by phone.
edit on 12-5-2013 by BayesLike because: fix a word or two

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Soo true. The recovery questions are a breech of security in a way.

I tier my recovery answers by what site I use. My free webmail ones are different from financial ones...etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join