It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP g7 Linux Mint 14-Fan Not working need help asap!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hello, I have deleted window 8 off of my sister computer because it sucks.. I have installed linux mint nadia onto that same computer and ever since I have done that the battery life gets drained very easily and it overheats to the point that I am getting a warning message. The warning message is saying that my fan is not operating. I have searched ways to fix it but it kinda goes over my head because I'm very new to linux. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Cant help other than to say that it refused to fire up the fan on my graphics card, and that bothered me because it was expensive.
Have you checked the BIOS?
If its AMD turn OFF the Cool and quiet feature, that might help.

ETA: I agree win8 is awful....wait for the stampede

edit on 11-5-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

I should make that a little clearer.

Press F2 or whatever gets you into bios at boot. Could even be delete or f10. As its win8 it may even be Escape key.
When in the bios look for Cool and Quiet feature. Turn it off. That should make the fan go full speed.

Also
The battery life will be a LITTLE shorter, one of the only features I liked about win 8 was that it did conserve battery life very well.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sounds like a driver issue, find the appropriate linux drivers.

Fan is not being properly told how to function by the OS, same with what ever is drawing battery power, which could be dangerous for the Processor and GC.

Post either the specs, or exact model number of the laptop and Ill give a crack at finding the software and link it.
edit on 11-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i remember reading that windows 8 has some sort of defense towards formatting then installing most or all linux distros or even any other earlier versions of windows making it almost impossible to get running.

i can't remember if it was a bug, glitch or otherwise or if it's something "intentional" but knowing microsoft's reputation i'm thinking it's something deliberate if i'm correct in my recollection.

i apologize for not being more specific or healpful and not having any more info but it's been quite a while since i read it but if you're looking to find out more i read it on DistroWatch.com so try searching there.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
i remember reading that windows 8 has some sort of defense towards formatting then installing most or all linux distros or even any other earlier versions of windows making it almost impossible to get running.

i can't remember if it was a bug, glitch or otherwise or if it's something "intentional" but knowing microsoft's reputation i'm thinking it's something deliberate if i'm correct in my recollection.

i apologize for not being more specific or healpful and not having any more info but it's been quite a while since i read it but if you're looking to find out more i read it on DistroWatch.com so try searching there.

Unlikely as such a defense would need to be in the hardware not software, so either on the MOBO or hardwired into firmware on the HD.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If you buy a computer with win 8 and the BIOS has secure boot, it can make installing other software difficult... perhaps (link for more info) ...it won't be long before the secure boot is a non-issue again.
another link just for more info

Now, OP... Mint has some issues with certain laptop battery management as well as CPU fan control. Linux has some great user forums with step by step instructions. You can google for example "linux mint cpu fan not working" and voila.... but some of the advice is technical. It may seem difficult, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find it easy, I will help you.

My personal favorite Linux distribution is Ubuntu. I was MCSD for over 10 years and I no longer use microsoft products. I've been a happy 'penguin' for 15 years and I've never looked back.

Linux has come a long way to being general user friendly and the latest distro (12) of Ubuntu is very user friendly. It does a great job of configuring your base hardware and it notifies you of proprietary drivers (like NVidia)
Good Luck

P.S. I can help if you PM me, I'll need particulars of the system to help you walk through the troubleshooting process.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Invariance because: Spelling is important

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis

Not sure if its what your talking about but I've installed win7 on two win8 laptops. Both were formated (cant remember the technial terms) in a way that forces you to delete ALL partitions before you can install another OS. Both the laptops I worked on had 7 partitions, only two were visible to the user. It seems every stage of manufacture etc added another partition!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I am responding here now on a HP g7 Windows 7. You took out 3/4 the OS and expect the rest to still operate as usual. The differences between the two is where your problem lies.
Good luck

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Just reinstall Windows 8. The usability problems will be eliminated next month when the Windows Blue (8.1) consumer preview comes out. It will be freely downloadable from the Store in Windows 8 and the final version before the end of the year.

new topics

top topics

join