It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant Mom Of 4 Sentenced To Prison For Refusing To Serve In Iraq

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Observor

Of course I cheer them on when they are Murdering Innocent Women and Children. What the hell is the matter with you?

Don't you?

Sarcasm Switch OFF.

Apparently you Must Not have any family in the military so I wouldn't expect you to have the capacity to understand or have the ability to relate.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

What this woman did was abandon her oath and the other mothers and fathers serving their country. Last I checked, you voluntarily sign your life over to Uncle Sam.

Oaths are meaningless when those who you swear them to are evil and do not uphold the oaths they have taken themselves. This lady is going to jail, yet the people who are really messing # up are getting wealthy and are immune to oath penalties lol. Priorities are certainly not in order when it comes to "oath regulation".

...speechless.

Some of you are like a pack of rabid dogs...sad really.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

That she is protecting millions upon millions of baby girls. No, she abandoned her oath to protect the 310 million souls to the best of her ability.

Not relevant; she's completely right about these wars not having anything to do with protecting one's nation and people from anything.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Her Oath may be Meaningless, But, it is the Contract that has Got Her By The Balls.

And you are right,. . . The Air is thick with Rabies in here.

edit on 12-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

That clarifies the so-called injustice a lot. One doesn't simply change one's mind in the military.
Is this woman's reaction one of the reasons why field work was such a male-centered occupation for a long time? If more serving mothers abandon their station in tears at the sight of a crying kid, I wonder if there will be a gender reconsideration as to who gets what assignment.

edit on 12-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

. We are so good at our jobs the only thing you have to worry about is that Gestapo Police of yours. I look at civilian ignorance with pride. We are so damn blessed and lethal, you only have to worry about internal corruption, politics.

And what of military ignorance? How do you view that?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I might have thought that ALL of the Big Damn Ball Babies would have been weeded out during the Psychological Evaluations.

But what I don't get is why, if people have a weak heart, do they voluntarily enlist knowing that there is a pretty damn good possibility that they will be activated for combat.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

What about the consequences for her children? or dont they matter so long as we get to PUNISH someone?

Mom should have maybe thought of that before that before she signed up for the military. The kids are important and I feel for them. Fact is though their mom didn't uphold her end of the contract, which she willingly signed, which brings consequences, regardless of how one feels about the conflicts.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I love the military sheep mindset.

We have an epidemic of that in the U.S.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7

And if nobody joins, they'll draft you.

edit on 12-5-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: finished my point

edit on 12-5-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: Really done this time

And who would enforce the draft? ... Nobody joined remember, so therefore no one to enforce anything.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The only persons I feel sorry for in this case are her children. Their mother is an idiot.

She voluntarily joined the US military as a "truck driver" at a time when the US was involved in military operations in a foreign country. She gladly accepted the wages and benefits owed to her, her husband, and her two kids in return for the service she agreed to perform. The fact that she had second thoughts about her service in no way justifies her desertion.

The story about the little Iraqi girl is recounted solely to garner support by appealing to people's emotions.

It would not surprise me if one of the reasons she had two more children while in Canada, who automatically qualify for Canadian citizenship, was an attempt to increase the chances of the Canadian government granting her permission to stay in the country.

I for one am glad to see her gone from my country.
edit on 12/5/13 by erwalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

By what definition am I so defined? In the eyes of an inexperienced child perhaps? Perhaps some one who thinks by intellectualizing themselves from what is, they think themselves above it?
Oh no little child,you are in a big system.The way things get done are by some who HAVE to succeed.They have to actually perform they're jobs completely or people die.Firemen,rescue,police ,military,we all have a part to play wether the hell you agree or not. Arguments to the contrary are nihilistic and puerile.
It's correct to be against war and violence but the other guy doesn't, so where does that leave you?
A victim.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nalanda93
Obama should see the light on this mom and 4 kids, america is suppose to be the land of the free, rights for all, I think this woman has a right to fight for her rights she's a mother for christ sake with 4 kids give her a break. The war overseas has always been about oil and crap.

so because she is a mother she should go free? does that mean EVERY mother who committed a crime should go free "for the good of the kids"? why not extend that to fathers as well in this day and age of enlightenment? cool lets EMPTY the prisons of all parents because of the hardship to the kids. NOT
she IS getting a break, 10 years is just a token punishment instead of what she could have gotten if they really wanted to force the issue.

i will agree the war is at least partially about oil. but that changes NOTHING about this case. the war started in 2003, she apparently joined up in 2006, THREE YEARS after the war started, as such she should have thought there was at least a strong possibility of being sent there.

lets take a look at why she apparently joined up. it looks like she joined up for FINANCIAL reasons. in fact between her and her husband decided ONE of them should join up, so it was the COUPLE'S decision that one of them would serve. with CASH, a signup bonus of $8,000 as well as i'm sure better pay than wal-mart, not to mention the possibility of higher education through the military would have looked good, as the motivation. so she joined up for the money aka GREED.

A long-time resident of Mesquite, Texas, Rivera worked at Walmart prior to her military service, meeting her future husband Mario there. After she and Mario married, they agreed that one of them should join the army for financial reasons, but both were initially too overweight for the army's requirements. Because Rivera shed the weight faster, she enlisted instead of her husband, signing with the U.S. Army in January 2006 for an $8000 bonus.
en.wikipedia.org...

i wonder if that "Chaplin" can be found that she supposedly got bad advice from to hear HIS side of the story? even if he did not help her there were other avenues she could have looked into to stay out of the war zone. she apparently didn't even try. but she apparently DID seek counsel from outside sources which likely told her to run to Canada. perhaps people should blame the Toronto-based War Resisters Support Campaign for giving her the ULTIMATE bad advice to go AWAL and claim refugee status, instead of the military which she seems not to have tried overhard to work with to get her posting changed. yet in the end the CHOICE to run away from her problems was hers.

While on leave in early 2007, Rivera was told she would serve another tour of duty overseas.[1] She and her husband made contact with the Toronto-based War Resisters Support Campaign, and on February 18, 2007, fled across the border to Canada with their children.[4] Rivera then applied for refugee status.[1]

also note she ran away in 2007, she is NOW pregnant in 2013 when she KNEW dammed well she would possibly have to serve time. i have seen nothing pointing to her being pregnant at the time she ran away. again she made a CHOICE, this time to be pregnant at a time she was likely going to jail. have to wonder if getting pregnant was a ploy to play on sympathy for reduced punishment?

now for the charges. yet again it was HER CHOICE to take a "plea bargain" (and she got a really good one i think). she could have fought it out and tried to get off.

Subsequent to a plea agreement between Rivera and U.S. military authorities, a sentencing hearing was held April 29, 2013 at Fort Carson, Colorado.[12] After pleading guilty, she was sentenced to ten months' imprisonment and given a "bad-conduct discharge"

as for hurting the children, i would think like most prisons they might be able to visit her. and she is ONLY in for 10 months which is likely a shorter time than she would have been on "overseas duty" which doesn't even mean she was going back to Iraq by the way. overseas is ANYWHERE outside the US where there is a military presence. i wonder if this was all about not being away from her kids and husband and/or going to a strange country again and her reasons she gave just an excuse.

While on leave in early 2007, Rivera was told she would serve another tour of duty overseas.

she joined for "the kings shilling" then changed her mind and instead of working within the military system to try to change things, deserted instead and ran away from her problems. i think she is just a stupid schemer that got herself in a bad situation trying for "free money". everything she did was made up of bad CHOICES, she IS RESPONSIBLE for those choices she made, no one else, as such any "suffering" is her own fault.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In the linked article above, she mentioned being afraid of dying and leaving her kids motherless. As a truck driver and gatekeeper.
Oh,I can't believe how much of this story is filled with syrupy appeals to emotion.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The Bias comes from this being the Military, The fact that this women has kids has nothing to do with it. When she committed the crime she was not pregnant. Yet hey, how dare they charge a pregnant women, this would never happen any where else right?

www.monroenews.com...
billingsgazette.com... 4.html

There is two articles about Pregnant women, committing crime while they where pregnant. Not a year or so before she was, yet where is the outrage out these women going to jail?

Yeah they aren't in the Military so its not on Most ATS'sers Biased Agendas

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Aren't those very real fears that any mother faces at some point?

I find your lack of empathy disturbing and that goes for the others who are posting that this woman deserves her punishment.

You know what? You all make/would make the perfect soldiers. No empathy. No consideration whatsoever. Just point, click and shoot.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by gosseyn

What this woman did was abandon her oath and the other mothers and fathers serving their country. Last I checked, you voluntarily sign your life over to Uncle Sam.

The sentence was justified.

What she should have done is to turn her self pity into pride. That she is protecting millions upon millions of baby girls. No, she abandoned her oath to protect the 310 million souls to the best of her ability.

I guess the children of this country didn't matter much, the ones she is protecting or rather was until just abandoned them.
edit on 11-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

She had already served, it's not like she went awol. After the war she realized she is not serving her country, but serving Halliburton.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What really suprises me the most in this is finding out that the US military hands out $8000 sweeteners to those "who just want to serve thier country"

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

A-lot of us here, are Vets and have dealt with this situation a-lot, is beginning to become a problem. I do agree with her punishment. SHE WAS NOT PREGNANT WHEN SHE COMMITTED THE CRIME. So I fail to see the problem, Thousands of women are arrested each day that have kids, where are your petitions for their release? Eh? Where is your out rage, over the two women charged I posted in a earlier post? Didn't think so, IF this had been any one else, a man they have kids too ya know. Single fathers, They get arrested all the time. Pregnant women get arrested all the time. Yet because this one, made a commitment, and didn't want to fallow through with it, she gets a get a of jail free care.

Double standard much?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

They're being unusually merciful as it is. Might as well just discharge her with full dishonor and let her go back to what she apparently does best.

edit on 12-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join