It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALICE pack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by Violater1

Thanks! Wow, those 2 packs you own are a tad pricey for my blood.

Funny you ask, I had two A-10's overfly me earlier today, always cool to see them.

If that's the case, your avatar, is that my Moto?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Moto?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I own a few Alice packs and it is a good entry level or cheap option. It holds a ton of gear and is as tough as nails.
The down side is it is not comfortable and I hate alice clips.

To be honest buy the alice pack and save up for a Eberlestock,Kifaru,Mystery ranch,Eagle,TAD. I personally own a Eberlestock G4 operator and it is the best 400 bucks I ever spent.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Just how much better can a $200 backpack really be? I've had backpacks that cost me $30 last for years, so this just seems like a huge overindulgence. More power to you though, if you have it to burn....

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Just how much better can a $200 backpack really be? I've had backpacks that cost me $30 last for years, so this just seems like a huge overindulgence. More power to you though, if you have it to burn....

No offense but they are way,way,way better. From the seams to the bottoms that are made out of better material. You do not see soldiers or mountain climbers using cheap gear. And there is a reason for that. It will rip and tear and wear apart after a few months.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

No offense taken, I was simply curious. I've had $30 backpacks stuffed with heavy books being lugged around for 7 hours a day, for months and months with no ripped seams or issues.

My BOB is designed to last me 3 days or more, so the necessity of having a $200 pack just isn't there. Sure, for my home base, I'm a firm believer in quality, but for a 3 day hike? Not really. I got my current BOB bag for $20 at WalMart. I've had no issue with it, used it for other things prior. It's also one of the most comfortable packs I've ever used (it has a lot of padding on the back, and even a waist strap). For a BOB, that's $180 I have to spend on other things.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well if you are only using for 3 days I would not spend alot of money either. :up What I have noticed with cheap bags is they tend to tear with branches and the bottoms wear out. Also I have found they sit funny on my back and waist.

And for new preppers or anyone not looking to spend a bunch of money army surplus is the way to go. From Alice packs to sleeping bags it is the best value for the your hard earned cash.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I got a great canteen from there. I wanted a metal one, so I could boil water right in it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Mr. Gazrok,

I've followed many of your comments here in the survival forum and I appreciate your input on this subject. I "bugged" you a few weeks ago to share your BOB and you replied with a good list of items.

Please, please, please do an in-depth thread of your BOB with pics!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I got a great canteen from there. I wanted a metal one, so I could boil water right in it.

I also have a couple of the metal ones they are heavy duty. I also love the military 4 piece sleeping bag system with stuff sack. It is only 100 bucks and really does the job.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The military 4 season sleep system is a great value and it will definitely keep you alive in the harshest conditions.

That being said, the thing is a BEAST. Does yours fit inside your backpack? Do you carry it outside the pack?

Makes a great truck bag. Backpack bag? IDK, what say you?

With modern goose-down, one can get an extremely warm bag that is the size of a small coffee can. But again...$$$

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
The military 4 season sleep system is a great value and it will definitely keep you alive in the harshest conditions.

That being said, the thing is a BEAST. Does yours fit inside your backpack? Do you carry it outside the pack?

Makes a great truck bag. Backpack bag? IDK, what say you?

With modern goose-down, one can get an extremely warm bag that is the size of a small coffee can. But again...$$$

With the compression sack I can get it down to about a foot squared. It is still heavy but I believe worth it. I carry it on the outside of my pack and use the straps to hold it on I carry it towards the middle of my pack. I use a Eberlestock operator for my main pack.

I am eventually going to upgrade to a high end snugpack bag but it is hard to convince the wife about spending 1000 bucks on two sleeping bags. It was hard enough to convince her for the 500 dollar pack.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I recently went camping with one of the newer generation of Army packs. It had the plastic external frame with the adjustable sliders that allowed the pack to slide up and down to configure to different body types. I do not remember the nomenclature, sorry. Anyway we hiked up one of the trails in the Superstition mountains carrying 6 liters of water each, MREs, jerky, binoculars, rope, shovel, sleeping bag, drop cloth and other asst. camping gear. My pack weighed fifty pounds and it was a real bear to carry over trail less terrain. Next time I will probably take a hand truck and the ALICE. It would be great to have a couple of Sherpas though.

When I was actively prospecting in the Goldfield Mountains and Picketpost Mountain areas, I made a hand cart out of wood and the front wheels of 2 twenty six inch bicycles. It worked great, but eventually the termites ate it. Next one will be made out of used bed frames welded and bolted. EAT THAT TERMITES!!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My BOB is set up as a 3+ day bag. After all. you never know if you can't go home. Not a lot of food in it, so I'll have to forage for that.

But it did cost me 150 bucks when I bought it 10 years ago and it is still going strong. After multiple deployments. I have one in the truck, and one at home.

The Alice pack is ok in a pinch, but needs reinforcing and one of the newer frames that are available aftermarket.
edit on 26-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
cool i was looking at these online.

didnt know they were called alice packs though, thanks for the info.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I hike all the time in the Cascade mountains of Oregon and I exclusively use the ALICE pack on my journeys. I purchased the enhanced version from Rothco for about $100 brand new and im completely satisfied with it. Got my first ALICE pack from my Dad who is a retired Airborne Ranger but the thing was a few years older than I am so it had to be replaced lol

I find that its comfortable enough despite what i've heard other people complain about. The Frame is pretty cool because if I needed to haul something big or awkward (Like a bundle or firewood or supplies for example) I can easily take my pack off and use the frame to haul the load. My Friend has a newer Army issued Ruck Sack with a plastic external frame and last time we went camping and could only carry arm loads of firewood at a time while I was able to carry a load with my frame and another load with my arms.

I eventually would like to replace my ALICE pack with a MALICE Pack from tacticaltailor.com. Its pricey but imo its worth it...I believe in the "You get what you pay for" deal and I like buying USA Made. Plus I can add cool features like PALS webbing on the sides so I can utilize MOLLE accessories n such

Is it heavier than other Rucksacks available? Yes. But I feel that it has only made me tougher and stronger as time has passed and the frame itself can be useful for other things (You can make it cooler with the ALICE Frame Modular Panel from www.highgroundgear.com...).

I can go on but...

TLDR

I

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by theboarman
cool i was looking at these online.

didnt know they were called alice packs though, thanks for the info.

Remember there are a few version of these I prefer the newer one's. They are all pretty cheap and can be bought on ebay and such for about 20-50 dollars.

For a cheap rugged solution you can not beat this pack.
edit on 28-5-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ruderalis1

Personally I would never buy anything made by Rothco. It is fake Chinese crap. And yes I have owned a couple things from them including a rain jacket that the zippers fell off.

I own a ton of tactical tailor kit and I love them all and it is made in the US. The pack you are talking about is a perfect 3 day bag. Other high end bags include Eagle,Kifaru,Eberlestock,Mystery Ranch,TAD.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Personally I would never buy anything made by Rothco. It is fake Chinese crap. And yes I have owned a couple things from them including a rain jacket that the zippers fell off.

I own a ton of tactical tailor kit and I love them all and it is made in the US. The pack you are talking about is a perfect 3 day bag. Other high end bags include Eagle,Kifaru,Eberlestock,Mystery Ranch,TAD.

Yeah I wouldn't say Rotcho products are anything amazing. The Rucksack itself tho is surprisingly good and I purchased it based off the positive reviews. Like I said though im very interested in getting a US made one from tactical tailor but I have a few other things I need to get for my Rifle first.

I've owned the Enhanced ALICE Pack since 2010 and I use it just about everyday rain or shine for exercise. Its been through some stuff and the stitching has held up quite impressively and the frame is still as sturdy and strong as the day I bought it. I a huge critic on Chinese products but they aren't incapable of producing something decent every now and then and that's how I feel on this bag

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The jacket I bought is well thought out and has really nice touches I would still use it if the zippers were up to snuff.

Have you ever checked out Eagle brand packs? They are pretty cheap and are as tough as nails. I really like it when they use 1000 cordura on bottoms and wear points.

Also I own a few Eberlestock packs and they are made in Vietnam and to be honest I think they are the best on the market even better then US made packs. With the exception being Mystery ranch packs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join