It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALICE pack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but the topic has really interested me for quite sometime.

Anyways, I have my old ALICE pack from the Army and I wondered what folks thought about using it for a bug-out bag? It's certainly got room for everything, but I wonder if anyone's had experience doing a mock bugout with one and if so, was it too big and cumbersome? When you're with 12 other grunts, it's not a problem, but just you and your wife and kids trying to get outta Dodge fast, it may be I'm thinking...

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

well ol alice can carry a lot of s____ and you can still get them at surplus stores at a fairly reasonable price.
so by the wife and kids one each, and split the load of the community between ya, and still have room for personal gear.

i got 5, and if it was good enough for Uncle Sam for how many years, and they were made to milspecs.

edit on 11-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well if you went to SF / Ranger school, you should be pretty prepared to pack up old Alice with pretty much anything you want, but remember like they've all told us, your going have to carry what ever you pack, that shiznit gets pretty heavy.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spartaocean

I was just a plain 'ol 11b

I know I can carry everything and the kitchen sink in ALICE, lol, I'm not sure about the contents of a bug out bag yet...I think it's different than what I'd take with me on patrol thru Tikrit. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using ALICE as a bugout bag, which I figured there'd be a few ex-grunts around that had, and clearly I was right. Thanks guys! Hooah

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sure your Alice pack will be minimal with what others recommend. Hope you get your as answers.

S&F for a bump. Sure others will do the same.

'Its not the size of your package, its how you use it.' -everyone on the survival forum.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Check the forum SME's posts on this, and their site and radio show. I think Semper has it sewn up pretty well.

The nice thing about ALICE is weight distribution, but it all depends on your goal. Is this BOB to get you and your family to a safe place within a day or two, or for you to go live in the woods?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have a small plastic waste basket in my old alice. Helps keep Things organized.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'll take a look at his posts, thanks!
I just want a BOB for, say, 3 days to get the family to a spot I have in Michigan.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

That's a heck of a great idea, thanks!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
And in the meantime, you can stuff 40 pounds of cat litter in that baby and hit the bricks.

Nothing like trotting down the beach road with ALICE in the morning. Well, maybe hitting yourself in the head with a rubber hammer. It will help keep you in shape for the bugout, though.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I definitely can use a workout, but I've humped that pack way too much in the past to want to hump it for a workout nowadays. I'll stick to the gym, etc.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Here's a link to their most recent thread. Follow it to their website, as his BOB suggestions are right on the money (and there is a wealth of other info too, on the site).

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Have the medium ALICE pack from the Vietnam era and it does not have much room for anything. Essentially it is a day pack.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Way back when I was in on active duty in the 80's, you had to turn that back when clearing which I did
part of standard TA-50 unless you actually purchased your own ? ? there's a lot better survivalist gear that I have seen better than old Alice pack though but hey if you have it use it how you see fit and good luck with that.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
I have my old ALICE pack from the Army and I wondered what folks thought about using it for a bug-out bag?

It's pretty much the best ruck for the money. Not long ago you could purchase a complete ALICE pack from an army-navy or ebay for around $20. Not sure how much they go for now with the recent explosion of interest in BOBS.

Good design for what it is, well made and sturdy as hell. The frame is very heavy, but it is also uncomfortable without it if you are rucking around more than a few pounds.

I wonder if anyone's had experience doing a mock bugout with one and if so, was it too big and cumbersome?

Yeah I've done long distance-paced hikes using an ALICE + frame. Wouldn't do it again. It's fine at first but after a long day I wanted to burn the damn thing. And I consider myself a bare bones hiker, I don't pack the kitchen sink. It's impossible for me to think that one could keep a grueling pace without ALICE becoming a severely limiting factor after a few miles.

Is ALICE adequate? For sure. Are there vastly superior alternatives? Definitely. Pretty much any modern hiking pack is superior to ALICE as a bugout bag. The real question is, how much do you want to spend?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

Let's just say it took a bit of talking to acquire.
I had planned on hiking the Appalachian trail when I left the Army, but I never did get around to it...anyways, I've had the thing in the back of the coat closet for years now.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
The real question is, how much do you want to spend?

Ha! That's what it basically boils down to for me...so ALICE and I will stay a couple for, hopefully, many more years.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Try this:

You wouldn't happen to live near the 122nd Black Snakes?

Opps sorry, I see now you want info on BOBs.
www.campmor.com...

These 2 are in my truck, fully equipped, at all times.
www.kelty.com...
www.kelty.com...

edit on 14-5-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm also sort of fond of my CFP-90 pack, it's bigger and more comfy. You can get a LOT of kitty litter in one.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Thanks! Wow, those 2 packs you own are a tad pricey for my blood.

Funny you ask, I had two A-10's overfly me earlier today, always cool to see them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join