It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snake Oil Cures PTSD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I was diagnosed with severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and anxiety and have learned to manage my disorders with acupuncture and Chinese herbs, which help calm my nervous system after the trauma my body has endured.Yoga helps tame my mind by using my breath to find peace and calm after many years of trauma.

~ Ronique Smith, kidnapping survivor
www.wdsu.com...

She was abducted at the age of 4 and held captive for over 8 years. This girl endured a lifetime of trauma. but she is amazingly strong, helping other victims overcome their past.

What struck me the most while reading this article, is that she abstained from the "pharmaceutical cocktail" traditionally pushed onto PTSD patients. She is a perfect example of how NOT to be a victim. God bless her!

Thanks for listening.

edit on Sat May 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: TAGS & SOURCE ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by B1rd1nFL1ghT

The meds are there for those who need them. There is a big difference between long term PTSD survivors and those who come back from the military with it. Those long term survivors have years to develop ways of coping with PTSD.

I suffer from childhood PTSD, have my entire life. I tried the meds, they made me a zombie of apathy, but they worked to kill the thoughts and images. The only thing that really helped was realizing that compared to many people with PTSD, I am lucky, I was smart enough and mad enough at myself to get it "fixed" although there is no cure, only ways of coping.

There have been a lot of advances is PTSD treatment, and my advice is avoid the meds if you can, however, if you need them, take them. They do work for some things.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm thankful medications are available for anyone who's suffering from ANY condition. They should be available when needed and without persecution from society. However, some medications are overly prescribed and used as a crutch, rather than how they were intended when initially developed.

It's not uncommon for patients to rely solely on a miracle drug, as opposed to a combination with therapy, for their condition. Often times the medicine is prescribed for a "break through" effect and only short term, assuming the patient is undergoing additional treatment.

Unfortunately, depending on the healthcare plan, continual therapy is more expensive than a month's worth of pills. Also, let's not forget, therapy is a difficult and painful process, in which most are apprehensive to even begin, much less continue long term. Taking a pill is easy and, with the exception of side effects, painless.

We have a very obvious problem in America. Big Pharma is only partially to blame, as well as the prescribers. Accountability for one's own health has become lost somewhere in the mix. I feel it should be up to the individual to do what's in their best interest, rather than falling victim to an endless cycle of medicinal overkill.

Additionally, I feel it's the responsibility of our loved ones and communities to provide a stronger support system for those in need, rather than shaming them and perpetuating stigmas.

Coincidentally, the medical field is booming while humanity further declines.

join