It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orcas playing with or chasing a boat!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I hope this link works. it was a video that was on my facebook and after watching it I could not get over how quickly it could of turned into something bad.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
S&F!

Here's the video:

Absolutely Amazing. Killer Whales are easily my favorite animal in the ocean.

Spectacular.

Thanks for sharing.

edit on 11-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Thanks for that!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The Orcas are just trying to show us that man has nothing on them. They don't even need gas to go that fast although a little gas may be created by their effort to race the boat.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
That is so cool. They cruise right along at speed like it is no problem. I don't know how fast the boat was going, but looked pretty fast. That would be awesome, but at the same time a little unsettling. If one landed on the boat they would be in the water with them. I see a poster said they don't attack humans but the dive master wanted them out of the water urgently. After all they do eat seals. I don't know why they wouldn't take a bite out of a human. These are not trained at Sea World. They are in the wild..

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

I think it was probably just smart to get out of the water.

I wouldn't want to be swimming with them.

I don't think there have been many recorded orca attacks. As you say though, wild creature, the potential there is for a quick death. They are certainly more than equipped to take out a human.
Perhaps the reason not many report is because not many survive to tell though.

I had to go look up on wiki and see what the reports are on Orca attacks:

Orcas (or Killer whales) are powerful predators capable of killing prey much larger than humans, such as leopard seals and great white sharks. They have also been recorded preying on usually terrestrial species such as moose swimming between islands.[1] However, wild orcas are not considered a real threat to humans, as there are few documented cases of wild orcas attacking people, and none of the recorded attacks have been fatal. There have been about two dozen cases of orcas attacking humans since the 1970s,[2] almost exclusively perpetrated by captive animals. Experts are divided as to whether the injuries and deaths caused by captive killer whales have been accidents or deliberate attempts to cause harm.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Very interesting info on the attacks being captive Orcas. I don't think people really go into their habitat much and that may be the reason for low attack numbers. But, if they did see humans as prey, even captive Orcas would probably make many more attacks. I agree wholeheartedly that I wouldn't want to swim with them. I think it was an Orca that killed one of the trainers at Sea World. I can see a whale being brought into basically a swimming pool getting pretty irritated over time. It isn't natural. I believe the same male Orca was responsible for more than one attack even though he only killed one trainer. That is what you get for keeping a majestic mammal like an Orca for some kind of circus act. I don't agree with that at all. I believe these animals are very smart.

edit on 11/5/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Orcas are awesome. They often come up into the bays on the oregon coast. You'll be sitting out there in your boat, fishing, and all of the sudden 3 or 4 enormous orcas will breach. Its exhilarating every time.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I doubt me and my husband will ever go out on the ocean in a boat again. We got pounced on by a humpback whale back in 2006. It crushed my husband and he's never been the same since. Terrifying. Just watching that video was too much!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
I doubt me and my husband will ever go out on the ocean in a boat again. We got pounced on by a humpback whale back in 2006. It crushed my husband and he's never been the same since. Terrifying. Just watching that video was too much!
Now THAT would be enough to change your perspective of them. Glad you guys survived, more than a few people have been killed in such incidents.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this-my hubby enjoyed this very much,killer whales are his absolute favorite animal on the planet-he is besotted with them.I find them very beautiful too.What an awesome+unforgettable experience for those lucky people,a once-in-a lifetime thing.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Here is one lucky dog...

Article
After looking this up it seems they most likely don't like the smell of land mammals and we emit a different smell than their prey. They are very social animals.

they have a culture with specific behaviors, a picky diet, and they know that we don’t taste very good. Still, humans pump toxins into their water, we bombard them with noise, and sometimes we kidnap their babies and put them in aquariums. Orcas have a pretty good reason to hate us, perhaps even enough to want to extract revenge, yet they don’t. The answer here might be friendship. There are many cases where nomadic killer whales have gravitated to humans, bonding with them and playing games. Trainers at places like Sea World say very little goes into orca training. The whales seem to understand people, and are eager to cooperate and create bonds.

In reading, the reason the majority of attacks happen in captivity is that these Orca need family and have been separated from their family to entertain us. Who knows maybe they are trying to bring their trainer into their domain or they are not happy. The attack I recall, at Seaworld, the trainer was dragged into the water the butchered in 2010. Here is anot her 2006 That whale is still performing but there is no human interaction with it, it is too darn big and has a history of aggression.

Link

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Thanks for the links and the vid!

Check this one out:

The Orca was imitating the boat motor in an attempt to communicate with the boat.

Very social and apparently friendly.

Although that is actually kind of sad because if humans interact with these creatures in the wild like this, eventually someone will hurt the whales. Not everyone appreciates such a magnificent creature.

That was a great link explaining why they don't attack humans btw, thank you very much.

edit on 19-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
actually believe playing

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ah the mysteries of the wild -

Would the translation be - "Come on! Lets play with them!!" or .. " I'm telling ya George, if we can get 'em out of that fast thing they will be good eating!!" ?

top topics

join