It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$850,000 a year for one soldier in Afghanistan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The US spends about One hundred and seventy five thousand dollars a minute for war
in the Middle East theater. That is an estimate made from the amount spent (so far) since
the beginning of the conflicts after 9/11.

1.4 trillion for war only....that's about 6,000 dollars for every man woman and child in the US,

I would do the math for how many dead "bad guys" this produced, but I assure you that
those dead "bad guys" (Iraqi, Afghani, Pakistani--insurgents, etc.,) were VERY EXPENSIVE.

Saddam Hussein alone was the most expensive "Bad Guy" in history. Even more costly
(in money--not lives) to oust that Hitkler

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Regardless of how the figure was derived, it seems a fair estimate to my way of thinking....
Its a pity that the regular troops arent paid a reasonable wage considering the "mercinaries get very much more for a lot less danger and action....why is it that way?
I would expect the arny could provide security for diplomats etc cheaper than contractors....
I think its demeaning to the armed services to be paying them chicken # money for all the heavy lifting they do....

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Security giant G4S is the second-largest private employer on earth with 625,000 employees

Dang. That's larger than our army.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

1.4 trillion for war only....that's about 6,000 dollars for every man woman and child in the US,

Hmmm..... (does some quick figuring on the 'ol paws) That comes to about $18,000 out of my household!

I'm not certain here. I may need a second opinion and all...but I feel like I got screwed on this one.

Who do I see about getting myself a refund or a waiver or something? I kinda need that money back about now.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

Legionnaires get paid just as much, if not a bit more than US military privates from what I remember. That is if, of course, you don't end up in the foreign parachute regiment or 13 DBLE. They pay alright ($40-50 thousand).
edit on 12-5-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If they deploy half a million I am sure that number would go down somewhat. How did they come up with the number? Is it housing, feeding and deploying or did they take what is spent on the war and divided per troops deployed?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

When the request was made for 40,000 additional troops:

The Office of Management and Budget says adding 40,000 troops would cost about $40 billion a year, or $1 million each. White House officials included in their estimate everything they consider necessary to wage war, including troop housing and equipment.

www.outsidethebeltway.com/how_much_will_escalation_cost

top topics

<< 1   >>

join