It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$850,000 a year for one soldier in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

During a budget hearing today on Capitol Hill, Sen. Kent Conrad, D-North Dakota, asked Department of Defense leaders, "What is the cost per soldier, to maintain a soldier for a year in Afghanistan?" Under Secretary Robert Hale, the Pentagon comptroller, responded "Right now about $850,000 per soldier."

security.blogs.cnn.com...

I was looking for some info to answer a question for an OP in another thread when I came across the above article.

Further statements have ranged from 815,000 to 1.2 million....anyway you look at the numbers it is a chunk of change. Mercs and local rebels are much cheaper which many governments are figuring out..

Security giant G4S is the second-largest private employer on earth with 625,000 employees

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 11-5-2013 by 727Sky because: s

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Probably true.
When I was in basic I was told that each trainee cost over 1 Million in training (for Basic, not even AIT) according to the CO.

-There is alot of fuzzy math and backroom dealing in the Military. The $850,000 number seems about right when everything (including support contractors salaries) are factored in.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That sounds about right.

One of my term papers which I had to get done Thursday was on what I'd advise the Government of a lesser developed nation for advancement, using three resources. I chose Afghanistan and the Opium crop as the primary key to advancement. No...Not THAT use of it.. lol... Bio Fuel.
(The Marines have already been involved in production experiments in Helmand Province on producing it)

As part of all that and my research for the paper, I came across the stats for a STAGGERING $400 per gallon of fuel used in the vehicles over there, which has to come over by convoy from Pakistan. That counted cost of transport, border bribes, contractors to drive it and security to keep it from being blown up between the pumps. ....but $400??? Good God! We need out of that place.

I'm thinking the bean counters who made the figure you cite took the one I found into account as part of it.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
But wait,now they want to hit Syria and Africa.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
That sounds about right.

One of my term papers which I had to get done Thursday was on what I'd advise the Government of a lesser developed nation for advancement, using three resources. I chose Afghanistan and the Opium crop as the primary key to advancement. No...Not THAT use of it.. lol... Bio Fuel.
(The Marines have already been involved in production experiments in Helmand Province on producing it)

As part of all that and my research for the paper, I came across the stats for a STAGGERING $400 per gallon of fuel used in the vehicles over there, which has to come over by convoy from Pakistan. That counted cost of transport, border bribes, contractors to drive it and security to keep it from being blown up between the pumps. ....but $400??? Good God! We need out of that place.

I'm thinking the bean counters who made the figure you cite took the one I found into account as part of it.

For sure. All the payoffs, real estate rental, bribes, contractors, etc, divided by boots on the ground.

It was like the whole "we are the best trained and pay 1 million per trainee in BASIC"- There is NO WAY that is accurate. For a Million Dollars I could be trained one on one with the best marksmen in the World, best self defense instructor, etc... But they are evidently factoring in everything including the land where the "freedom Tower" and obstacle coarse is located along with (in my case) the upkeep or geranomos grave and the salary of the Civilian cafeteria workers, etc.

-Plus I am certain much of that money is funneled into "other things" shall we say.

Its the way the Government operates.
EDIOT: Also lets not forget the whole "use it or lose it" monetary system which I believe extends to the Military (I could be mistaken)- For instance if our State is given funds to fight "drugs" and does NOT use the money to buy Toys and Military Weapons for the Police- They lose the funding completely- So they often buy things they do not really need (this year they bough Dodge Chargers and Corvettes for our Police)
edit on 11-5-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No wonder we find young men in far away lands who have lost everything or never had much to begin with and give them weapons and say, "sic um". Very cost effective, no? Also the whole private security force thing has really taken off if you look at the amount of companies offering their services....An average grunt can make upwards of $150,000 a year working overseas.....I am glad I am old and retired for in my younger days I might have been tempted to do a little flying for some big bucks before finally being hired by the airline....Whew the stuff I survived when young still amazes me sometimes!
The first part of a 7 part video series. Interesting

And of course the old standby

edit on 11-5-2013 by 727Sky because: added video

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN
Probably true.
When I was in basic I was told that each trainee cost over 1 Million in training (for Basic, not even AIT) according to the CO.

-There is alot of fuzzy math and backroom dealing in the Military. The $850,000 number seems about right when everything (including support contractors salaries) are factored in.

You could be right but that sounds a little high for eight to ten weeks of training (I'm including 'reception' which to me was worse than BT.)
I think your commanding officer was exaggerating or maybe misinformed.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

Probably true.

You could be right but that sounds a little high for eight to ten weeks of training (I'm including 'reception' which to me was worse than BT.)

I am sure you are right- But they made a really big deal about it. I have thought and thought and thought about this and cannot figure out how the Hell they figure this out (if it is a million)

I just googled and could not find a real answer- Seems there is no official statement I could find on the cost for Boot camp.

I did find a fantastic and funny Forum about "basic training horror stories" so all is not lost, lolololol

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

In all honesty, I think a Soldier should MAKE that amount. Putting your life in the line of fire, is a hard thing to do.

Thats just me though.

Sure I will get flamed for saying it too.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That sounds about right.

i'm sure the locals don't pay 400$ @ gallon for fuel.

i wonder who subsidizes their fuel.

has anyone been there who would know what the locals pay?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen6511

That sounds about right.

i'm sure the locals don't pay 400$ @ gallon for fuel.

i wonder who subsidizes their fuel.

has anyone been there who would know what the locals pay?

www.tradingeconomics.com...
Pump price for gasoline (US dollar per liter) in Afghanistan
As of January 2013 it appears to be about 1.5$ per liter

You can not run that nasty old Afghani petrol through our high dollar engines....Beside it does not have ethanol so it gets to much mileage.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

You're right.
A soldier should make that money but they don't.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I disagree.

A soldier should be there not for riches and wealth but for ideals he believe in and the defense of a nation he loves. If our nation was invaded I would fight for FREE. Hell, I would pay my own way to the front and would bring my own firearms if need be.

I signed up after 911. I left a great job. I was 26 years old and one of the oldest to start as a PFC. I walked away from a great job, a home I owned and my "freedom" because I THOUGHT my nation had been attacked by Iraq and wanted to fight.

I remember everyone being asked if 911 was the reason they joined and 90+% said "Yes." (a few mentioned college or life skills)

I regret my choice now. But I did join for the "right" reasons. If it were about Money I would have tried the French Foreign Legion or something.

Too much money would make to attract soldiers/marines/seamen whos loyalty is to the money and can be bought IMHO.
EDIT/ADD- In a perfect world there would be a draft every time we see combat. I think we would see far less war and far more "lies" being called out if that were to ever happen- As it stands its either "true believers" or "poor people" who join for the most part.
edit on 11-5-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by sonnny1

You're right.
A soldier should make that money but they don't.

Actually Kali, I would like to see a World without soldiers.

I can dream, cant I?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

Probably true.

I was told this same "fact" in basic training as well. It didn't make a lot of sense, but then again the Army doesn't send the brightest minds through their training and they probably don't want you to think about this figure and just accept it as true so you work your butt off to make the Army's investment (you) pay off.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
thats too much.......no wonder ur country is broke,

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So imagine if we ended these wars and called all the soldiers home.

Spent that money on infrastructure and education, the US would see a new Renaissance.

Sadly it will never happen.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
So imagine if we ended these wars and called all the soldiers home.

Spent that money on infrastructure and education, the US would see a new Renaissance.

Sadly it will never happen.

That's one nice dream, isn't it Benrl?

Would love to see the results of a unified "humanity".

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The link was not working for me so this may or may not have been covered...

The cost of a military member deployed does not have to be this high. That number is based on the exorbitant cost paid out for the basics through contracts. The service member makes about the same stateside or deployed.

Back in the day, the military did all its own housekeeping and things worked out fine. There were good reasons for this. No need to pay a gazzilion dollars per meal or gallon of fuel. However the last 10+ years has been about profits as much as fighting. Maybe even more so. So why bring 'em home? Perpetuate the conflict, say our troops need the best, and continue to milk the taxpayer. Then a story like this comes out (granted I could not read it) and it sounds like the troops are primadonna's requiring gilded latrines.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I'm guessing that they're just coming up with that $850,000+ amount by dividing the logistical costs (food, housing, fuel, etc) by the number of boots on the ground. However they come up with the amount it's still just a best guess by the bean counters in the pentagon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join