It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Eyes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
To have compassion on your fellow man
implies that it is done impartially.

It is love to look at and bless those who are less fortunate,
they deserve attention just as much as the wealthy do,
if not more.

Do not keep you eyes from gazing upon misery.

Give looks with compassion,
and treat the less respected with the same respect you would give to a king.

Look at the misfortune and solitude
of those who appear before you naked and in their shame.
Love and caress them with your glance,
see your own mother in their eyes.

You are part of them
and they are part of you,
you owe them at least your pity.

Do not be haughty or arrogant
by denying acquaintance with someone less fortunate
They need only love and respect;
not to be treated and looked at
as someone who is less than human.

Elevate those who have been degraded by placing yourself below them.

Poor men, women, and children look to God in their misery,
show love to God by loving them.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by backcase

Poor men, women, and children look to God in their misery,
show love to God by loving them.

In my opinion, such gestures are more sincere if you're not aiding them to score brownie points. Which is exactly how you make it sound. "If you love God, you should..."

No. Love your neighbor no matter what. Forgiven them their trespasses and hope that they forgive yours. If God is always used as a condition, then your gesture is pointless because your actions become less kindness and more bargain. "I will do this so that he looks upon me more favorably". That's not compassion, that's politics.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It is more like considering that God is the Father and we are all one family, so view each other as a family member.

God is what binds all of us as He is Charity, He brings us together.

I'm sorry that that is what you took out of it.
edit on 103131p://666 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

In my opinion, such gestures are more sincere if you're not aiding them to score brownie points. Which is exactly how you make it sound.

I agree. Any action that has such reasons behind it is a selfish action. A truly selfless action would have the following reasoning behind it: "I'm giving this homeless family money because they need it, and it is the right thing to do". Selfish would be, "I'm giving this homeless family money so god will smile upon me and give me some brownie points for after I die".
edit on 11-5-2013 by LobeDethFaurt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I understood exactly what you meant backcase. This is my view on all humankind.We are the same, no more, no less and we always have the power to make a difference, be it food, clothing, holding a door open, a kind work, a smile. Treat others as you would want to be treated - it works so simply and profoundly. Lovely post.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LobeDethFaurt

Hmmmm I had to read the post 2 more times to see if I could find where the others were getting their take on it. I think it's where it says, "to show love to God by doiing favors to others". This doesn't mean one is looking for favors or for their actions to be noted - it means that the love of God is in us, that we are love, that we can act on love and that we can always provide love in some manner, big or small - to everyone. I still get the same take on it after reading it three times now.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I also understand where you are coming from.
Thank you for taking the time to share.

Those who do not understand the love of God will not understand. That's ok.
They will think the only reason you are nice to people is fod 'selfish' reasons, when really that couldn't be further from the truth.

A relationship with God compels the heart to love unconditionally. It eliminates fear. It allows you to understand that we truly are One.

1ove

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LobeDethFaurt

I'm afraid that you fail to truly understand the point of the OP.

With that said, however: What difference would it honeslty make?

Do you think a less fortunate person cares what the 'true' intent of the person who is helping them is? Wouldn't you rather have people doing good deeds REGARDLESS of their personal motives, so long as it was still actually doing 'good.'

What kind of world do you allow yourself to live in where you judge someone on what you assume their personal motives are when you can't honestly know? And then to deem it 'wrong' somehow even though they still helped another soul?

Sorry, but thats a little ridiculous. A good deed is a good deed. And we need all that we can get. I don't care if the only reason you help me is because you think the boogeyman is going to get you if you don't. That's your business. Just be nice to people. Period. For whayever reason you want to find.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It is more like considering that God is the Father and we are all one family, so view each other as a family member.

You still have failed to prove that "God" is charity, and not politics.
edit on 11-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

You asked what difference it would make whether we show love because of its intrinsic value or show love because of how it affects our reputation in standing with "God". The following is my answer - please consider it closely:

A question I've often asked is: if emulating the principles of Jesus were to guarantee a Christian a seat in Hell, would the Christian still emulate the principles of Jesus? If damnation were our definitive reward for compassion and kindness, how many would still make a point to exercise such virtues?

That, I think, is the true test of the precise extent our survival influences our virtues. I'd be intensely interested to observe the results of that experiment. Because if obedience to any deity is more a survival mechanism than we are encouraged to believe, that belies the morally obligatory aspect of it.

If you don't see the relevance, please let me know and I'll explain.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I see the 'point' you're trying to make, but its utterly moot in this universe.
Love is the rule, not the exception.
I don't personally know someone who is only nice and loving to people strictly because they think it gets them in better standing with God. Do you?
I know people who pretend to be nice and 'tolerate' people because they are scared of God and think that simply pretending to be polite is good enough. But I tell you, those people do not carry God in their heartd. You can see/feel the difference.
Those who love God and truly work to embody the teachings of Christ understand that it is not simply about "be good so you get into heaven, otherwise you're going to hell." And if you think that that mentality is what Jesus taught, read again.
The kingdom og God is within. Once you realize this you don't even have to "try" to love others. You simply are love for others. That doesn't make you immediatly perfect and infallible, but its a heck of a first start.

Also, "hell" does not exist (at least not in the sense that most churches teach. Most likely, this isn't your first or last time here as a person. (Reincarnation.) The point of every incarnation is to learn lessons that ultimately bring you to the realization that "love is the way."
So, again, people will have their reasons no matter what. But the first step towards making this a better world is to start treating everyone with love...regardless of the path you choose to get there. One step at a time.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I don't personally know someone who is only nice and loving to people strictly because they think it gets them in better standing with God. Do you?

That's because you've never tested them for it.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That's because you've never tested them for it.

That's not my job.
Is it yours?
(Although, for the record, the majority of my conversations are spiritual in essence. So....ya, I 'test' those that I know.)

Also though, if you signed up for a class that you were really excited to take and you wanted to know everything about yet the teacher told you anybody who learns anything fails and everybody who stays dumb passes...would you still choose to stay dumb?
edit on 11-5-2013 by eleven44 because: sorry about any crazy misspellings, I am on my phone

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

That's not my job.
Is it yours?
(Although, for the record, the majority of my conversations are spiritual in essence. So....ya, I 'test' those that I know.)

You test them according to your limited understanding. I test them by taking logic out of the equation. They will then resort to the only thing the really know - their true selves. That's when they are revealed.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Everything that you have has either been given to you by God or has been taken by use of the free will God has given you.

Any time you use your free will, it has been allowed by God, because He is Charity.

And if you were to repent, you would be saved by the mercy of God that is Christ, through God's charity.

but if you choose with your free will not to accept God's invitation, His charity allows you to do so, without forcing anything upon you that you do not force upon yourself.

You might think you see reality for what it is, but you only see what you want to see.
edit on 013131p://666 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here is a video of a poor, homeless, human being

www.facebook.com...
edit on 013131p://666 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Ya, I never use logic.
Good thing you tested me and have unlimited knowledge.

While you're busy testing people to make sure they're worthy of helping others...I live my life every single day with the intent to be there for others (not everone needs 'help'...most just need loving attention.)

Cheers.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Here are two excerpts from the Lumineers Song Stubborn Love.

Verse 1
It's better to feel pain than nothing at all
The opposite of love's indifference.

Verse 2
And I don’t blame ya dear for running like you did all these years
I would do the same you best believe
And the highway signs say we're close, but I don't read those things anymore
I never trusted my own eyes.

I like to believe that each of us would be exactly like the person sitting across from us if our spirit had experienced what they have. In this way I am free from judging my brothers. -Peace to all-

edit on 11-5-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You asked what difference it would make whether we show love because of its intrinsic value or show love because of how it affects our reputation in standing with "God". The following is my answer - please consider it closely:

A question I've often asked is: if emulating the principles of Jesus were to guarantee a Christian a seat in Hell, would the Christian still emulate the principles of Jesus? If damnation were our definitive reward for compassion and kindness, how many would still make a point to exercise such virtues?

That, I think, is the true test of the precise extent our survival influences our virtues. I'd be intensely interested to observe the results of that experiment. Because if obedience to any deity is more a survival mechanism than we are encouraged to believe, that belies the morally obligatory aspect of it.

If you don't see the relevance, please let me know and I'll explain.

We can be brainwashed to do/believe anything. We send our willing troops to war to kill each other every day. The problem is the spirit rejects these teachings and leaves you at conflict with yourself.

Your spirit is only in line with your physical when your path is love. Love is the only teaching that is expectable to the spirit within. Love is the only path to peace, both inner peace and worldly peace.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You'd argue with a brick wall if you could.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join