It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Senator Yee propses 3D printer regs, background checks and licensing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Why would you want to print a gun away? In usa you legaly buy much better ones.

Only use of these printable ones is to either stick to the world and show off like a ass or use it as a dispsible weapon for crime.

Today, you can buy a better gun. But, tomorrow, you'll be able to design your own gun, and make a gun better suited to your wants and needs.

Maybe you want a gun that can shoot all types of bullets, not just one type of bullet. So, wherever you are, you can use whatever bullets are available, and not have to worry about the shop running out of your particular bullet type.

Maybe you want a gun that can fire two bullets at the same time, or three bullets, to increase the odds of hitting your target, because you're not a sharp shooter.

Lots of reasons why printing your own gun will be an advantage in the future. And remember, although this is plastic, there are metal 3D printers also, we're just waiting for the prices to drop.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The government will never be able to put that genie back into the bottle. In fact, it's about as useless as trying to outlaw traditional guns. Maybe the government would be better off trying to fix the damn economy, and arrest the crooks that got us into this mess.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
From the OP article:

He says background checks, requiring serial numbers and even registering them could be part of new legislation that he says will protect the public.

It is not about protecting the public. As several have pointed out an individual with the necessary knowledge has always possessed the ability to build a gun, and nobody wants to register the serial numbers on the gear in a machine shop. It is about protecting manufacturing industries, including gun manufacturers, who are feeling threatened by the prospect of home manufacturing. Just wait until the gun manufacturers and their lobbyists, who are generally opposed to gun controls, make an exception to their usual position and come out in support of this particular form of gun control.

Using a 3D printer to create unauthorized replacement parts for existing machines and copies of various commercial products is going to be the new piracy. The music industry is a dinosaur, a holdover from the pre-digital days. They have been crying for years about how much money they have "lost" because their product is obsolete. The manufacturing industry will do the same thing with 3D printers. As the printers increase in capability and decrease in price the manufacturing industries will cry rivers of tears about people who "stole" money from them because they decided to download the item instead of buy it. They will refuse to accept their obsolescence. Everyone from Tupperware to Ford will be chasing down so-called pirates who downloaded specs to produce items that resemble their products.

Every new technology that has the potential to make a limited and controlled resource more easily available to the public is demonized by the people who have been profiting from their control of said resource. If you want to know what the future holds for 3D printers look here:

translated Bibles
VCR
digital music and film

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ive been watching the rise of 3d printing from the start, wanted to get one the whole time, and the whole time I knew at some point some backassward law would come around to nip the tech in the bud.

Its all about intellectual property (corporations bread and butter) NOT about guns at all.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Its all about intellectual property (corporations bread and butter) NOT about guns at all.

Yup it will destroy alot of the current currupt economic system.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I wonder how the Honorable Mr. Yee would feel if he knew that the average, premium party balloon can be made into a lethal weapon, very simply! What about rat poison? Old portable x-ray machines? How about a really heavy duty pry-bar, some decent chain and a four wheel drive pick-up truck? Want to know how lethal that combo can be? Keep up the good work Mr Yee! Maybe you can fool the people that would 'hurt' somebody with a plastic gun that we are truly ALL as stupid and incompetent as Mr Yee !

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They'll kick in his door and confiscate his illegal collection of plastic polyhedrons.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I'm planning on building a CNC Mill myself. I'd use it to make parts and tools to help me make more parts and tools. I like to fix and build things. I have very little interest in making any kind of weapon really-- Well maybe I'd like to embed machete blades in a baseball bat in case of some kind of zombie apocalypse.. but I don't need CNC for that. For the most part my intentions are morally innocent. However, since I'd have the CAPABILITY to make guns , that 3D printed gun argument would still affect people like myself. And honestly, what if I did want to make a gun? Why should it be automatically assumed my intentions are harmful? Guns aren't hard to get -either over or under the table. It would be way easier and probably cheaper to buy one than make one. I

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It's scary. Seriously.

Why?

Because there's a lot we don't anticipate about new technologies. It's these things that will change our culture. And the things that change will both shock us and dismay us.

50 years from now society will have different tolerances and values because of how technology influenced them. We're not in complete control of technology, though we prefer to think we're..

People like to ask What If... about technology. They ask What if we had Star Trek teleporters!!?? That'd be awesome, alright, yessir! However, actual Star Trek teleporters will change our society in ways that're not predictable and these changes could invoke a hostile - not friendly - response.

This phrase is uncanny in its resonance: You don't eat the Big Mac, it eats you!!!
edit on 11-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
He probably honestly wants regulation so only some groups of people can have the 3D printers. Gun fear, but really it's greed. If he wasn't in a privileged office he would be saying no to that regulation.

Just wait for the future when we have little remote controls that can upload and download entire objects in and out of the ether. (okay, perhaps in a thousand years) Or how about printing a 3D replica of someone's head, for the illegal immigrants -- er, I mean undocumented trespassers -- to wear as a disguise when running across national lines?

Who commands hierarchical privileges? What state does he truly believe he is representing? If he really is from California, shouldn't he be regulating the substances used in the printers, to make sure they are recyclable and low in BPAs?

I suppose a 3D object registration office is due. It is about as ridiculous as registering sewing patterns for clothing. Oh wait, they do have something like that. I imagine a 3D printing court will have to be opened for extra state lucre.

And yet, even through all this prohibition and registration, there will always be illegal manufacturing and knockoffs. So if California doesn't let the printing competitively fly, then the rest of the world will make advances in printing and the regulated states will be in a technology famine. Maybe to print is free but to sell would be at a cost.

Probably the FBI put the regulator up to this. They need the regs so they can make money in enforcements.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Remember folks there's a huge difference between southern and northern CA. if it wasn't for our vast supply of fresh water we would have broke off a decade ago and formed the state of Jefferson look it up. folks up north are just as sick of the crap coming out of Sacramento as the rest of the republic. Up here it's all about hunting, fishing and growing fields of weed that keeps the rest of the country happy
if southern CA cracked off and sunk it would not bother us in the slightest.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
why don't we have background checks and licensing and the like of all the lame crappy rules that cali likes to heap on rest of country. cali is water poor
so they make a rule toilets have to use less water faucets go from 2.5 gallons a minute to 1.5 gallons a minute
result all lumbing companies adopt cali codes for all progucts so they can sell nin that state resulting in our plumbing getting jammed up easier because we are forced to use a low capacity toilet that some polition made manatory.

cali decided to go lead free recently now industries across country are being forced to comply
resulting in higher production cost and material cost
bullets with lead cores are being made with plastic cores instead resulting in less stopping power so animals that would have been brought down with one shot might wander off and slowly bleed to death or survive in pain so cali can say they lead free . last time i checked morons lead comes from ground and it has been in use in your state for over a hundreds years

if you all want to fix something why don't you try fixing your economy and once you do that then export that out to rest of us . until then cali politicians need to shut up. byes i acknowledge the rant

its just that in last twenty or so years it seems like california and new york city try to rule rest of us

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
What a joke! Men build guns and they do not need printers. Shoot some of the most dependable arms on the planet are built from scrap with only minimal tech. Try as they might guns are here to stay!

Look at the Tokarevs these guys are building in this video. If you can clone a Tokarev you can build any arm out there. I also hear that for 70 years+ these guys have made world famous Enfield clones. Who needs an FN printer? This guy is a joke!

edit on 12-5-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Tyrants are scared of technology. Like the Dark Ages, they limit technology and ideas in order to obtain more power over the minions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join