The Difference in Great Britain and the USA: Television

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Canadian satellite tv picks up programs from the US, the UK, as well as Cdn content.

The UK shows don't censor much at all. Sex, swearing, a bit of violence - it's all there.

The US shows censor boobs and butts with a fuzzyness over the parts, and no swearing allowed. Lots of bleeps on certain shows.
I did watch an episode of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown on CNN, and a Quebec chef managed to sneak in the sh-- word, without a bleep, I think his French accent caught them off guard

Lots of the most explicit gore, blood, close ups of body mutilation that I would rather not see, come from American tv.
Almost like an obsession of showing as much gore as possible. It gets gross. Especially if you've got a large tv....

Canada allows swearing, depending on the channel. Butts and boobs, depends on the time and the channel.
Our shows that have the gun fights don't show as much blood as the US.
But our news shows, don't censor blood.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Respectfully ,smyleegrl, it was British T.V. programmes like " Embarraassing bodies " and other " Reality T.V " programming that encouraged me to get rid of my T.V. over five years ago, and I don't miss it at all.

British T.V. has " Dumbed down " over the last few years, and is awash with cheap to make, shallow, trashy programmes.

( Though I will admit there are some excellent documentaries, but these alone do not justify the T.V. licence.)

I don't miss T.V. I listen to BBC Radio 4 a lot, which is generally quite educational...

Interesting that a lot of contributors to this post are noticing that it is o.k. to show blood and gore, but there is a wariness of naked bodies or sex, whatever the context....

I get harassed by U.K. T.V. licensing every couple of years, they don' t seem to be able to accept that I don't have a T.V. and remind me of the consequences of not having a license !

I await their visit ! ( Though they haven't so far...)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It does seem like the US has mixed up priorities about nudity on TV while allowing all the violence you could ever hope for at the same time. I remember years ago now, there was a huge controversy surrounding NYPD Blue because one of the actors showed his ass on TV. I mean everyone's got one, I didn't understand the big deal at the time myself and still don't.

I also remember watching world's funniest commercials or something like that and they would show some commercials from Europe and there was all kinds of nudity just in the commercials. Of course anything deemed "offensive" here was blurred out.

I still don't understand this fear of the naked human body here in America. We can turn to many stations and see people shot, bleeding, or blown up but a little breast or ass is off limits.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
BBC television is full of repeats and fatcats in their corporation get bucket loads of cash plus all the Jimmy Saville perverts plus the others who worked for them made me refuse to pay my licence fee.
I was the mug who paid it monthly by direct debit and stopped it only to find it is paid up until August! Talk about a liberty! No more will I give them a penny from now on.
I can easily watch on demand etc that is not live and legal so they can't touch me on that one.
As for the TV programmes, I watch about 90% American shows all the time from the Internet as ours are rubbish at best of times.

I stopped paying for the license about 15 years ago, and every month I get a THREATENING letter telling me they'll take me to court if I dont cough up some money

They demand I let them in to my home to check that I'm not using a TV, and of course they get told where to go, but one day, out of curiosity, I contacted them and asked "How does visiting my home prove whether I do or don't watch TV" After a few seconds of silence the guy said "Ok, we'll remove you from the database"

But I still get the threats every month

I'm considering the Idea of notifying them that I'll be making a £20 administration charge for every letter they send me, maybe we should all do that?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Interestingly, the phrase Titbits, has now generally been amended to Tidbits Worldwide due to American discomfort in a word that contains the word 'Tit'.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
Interesting that a lot of contributors to this post are noticing that it is o.k. to show blood and gore, but there is a wariness of naked bodies or sex, whatever the context....
You'll have noticed most of that is there readily available for children to watch. Often people tell me they dont show such things before 9pm, but they do, because they show trailers with the gory bits all through the day.

I get harassed by U.K. T.V. licensing every couple of years, they don' t seem to be able to accept that I don't have a T.V. and remind me of the consequences of not having a license !

I await their visit ! ( Though they haven't so far...)

They will. It'll be one of two types of knock on the door.
1. a very quiet tapety tap tap. They hope you'll assume its a friend and will open the door.
2. Its an f'ing great Thump thump thump, sounds like they are knocking the door of its hinges

I dont watch tv and dont have a license and they still send me threats every month, see my post above.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Finally somebody realizes how paradox the US is...
In general US media is more afraid of boobies than of blown of torsos. In Europe you can even see some breasts in shampoo commercials.

Btw. for example facebook: a video of a mother breastfeeding her baby gets deleted nearly instantly, but beheading of people will stay there, because it shows the cruel reality (their words). I mean, if somebody likes the videos they show up in my newsfeed, so what would be more disturbing for most of the people?

/edit: it is funny, when I read the thread, I saw so many similiarities between German and British TV. The licensing, the dumb reality shows
edit on 12-5-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I have 2 TV's, 3 games consoles, 2 PC's, 3 Laptops and 2 mobile phones (and a partridge in a pear tree).

All of these devices, according to the TV licensing laws, require me to own a TV license as they can all be used to watch TV as it is being broadcast.

I do not own a TV licence, I informed the TV Licensing lot that I do not watch TV as it is being broadcast, I merely play games or watch catch up TV and other stuff on the HTPC.

They said well OK then, but someone will pop round to make sure that this is the case and I really don't need a license. No-one has been as of yet, the letters have stopped, some trees have been saved.
edit on 12/5/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The truth is that pretty much anything is shown on British TV nowadays, as the various channels try to outdo one another to get the best viewing stats.

Until relatively recently, we only had 5 TV channels - BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5.

Back then, it was relatively rare to see anything risqué, but now there are dozens of digital channels, so even the old respectable ones are making sensationalist stuff because the competition is that much greater.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
All of these devices, according to the TV licensing laws, require me to own a TV license as they can all be used to watch TV as it is being broadcast.

Just to clarify, the Law only states you must have a license if you are watching live broadcasts - you don't need one to own a TV, per se. You can however, quite legally, use your PC, XBOX or any other device to watch BBC iPlayer and not be liable for the license.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I don't know if this is true but I heard Americans changed the term 'titbit' to 'tidbit' because tit was deemed too rude.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Haha, really?

What do they call creatures like the good old Cyanistes Caeruleus?

On the subject of funny words - I once got in trouble here on ATS (almost got banned because of the resulting argument) for calling Tony Blair a spineless "pussy".

Turns out, an American Mod thought it was vulgar and erotic language for describing lady parts, whereas in the UK a "pussy" is someone who displays cowardly behaviour - It eventually got ironed out by FredT I believe who informed his fellow American of the "cultural differences"...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

AFAIK that term applies to both the female lady part and a cowardly person so I don't doubt the mod action although I don't agree with it.

As far as the "tidbit" comments, I've always known it as tidbit so maybe it is an American thing.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

LMAO

I remember watching an episode of Simpsons where Marge fell planting crops and said "OH, my fanny!"...I nearly wet myself, I didn't, at that point, realise in America that means bum....tee hee

That's a cultural difference and a half.

Edit: Fanny pack (bum bag over here) creases me up, sounds like always ultra.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thov420

I was well aware of the US usage of the word, but the Mod should have taken what I said into context (as I was clearly not calling Blair a set of lady flaps) and realised I wasn't a Yank... As it was, another Mod did have common sense and removed the posting ban and warn flags...

reply to post by woogleuk

Haha, aye.. I've seen it mentioned quite a few times on the Simpsons and other shows. Always makes me laugh as in the UK, a "fanny" is the same as a "pussy" is in America!

I didn't realise at first it meant "bum" in the US, so was genuinely shocked that Marge should mention the fact she had hurt her lady-bits!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

All "vulgar" words for a ladies garden have been used to describe a person, all with different meaning...strange isn't it...

Stop being a pussy = Stop being a coward / big girls blouse
Stop being a fanny = Stop being a clown / idiot
Stop being a Gene Hunt (real word not suitable for public viewing) = Stop being an arse / horrible person.

But then again, words used to describe the male mandangles have also been used in the same way.

Odd world we live in.

EDIT: Mods, used in the context I have used them in, these words aren't actually vulgar as they have a different meaning..well, all except the last one, but I didn't actually use it..so hopefully this post wont get slapped.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Haha, really?

What do they call creatures like the good old Cyanistes Caeruleus?

On the subject of funny words - I once got in trouble here on ATS (almost got banned because of the resulting argument) for calling Tony Blair a spineless "pussy".

Turns out, an American Mod thought it was vulgar and erotic language for describing lady parts, whereas in the UK a "pussy" is someone who displays cowardly behaviour - It eventually got ironed out by FredT I believe who informed his fellow American of the "cultural differences"...

I had a post removed and the big red banner put in its place because I used that word.
I used to deliver to pet shops. One day as I entered a shop one of the staff (very pretty) was cuddling a little kitten. quite innocently I said "I just gota stroke your little p*ssy"
When I got back to base the boss was waiting for me. They'd made a complaint! Luckily I wasn't the only person they'd complained about. He fell about laughing when I told him what I'd said.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

HAHAHA.... I've used that one myself a few times when I see a girl with a cat

It has to be said that where I work it is a very male-centric environment (a telco NOC) and only recently we had a new starter (a girl) quit after a few weeks as she couldn't hack the banter - pretty much every day is full of innuendo and smut

The final straw for her was when we were watching a film on nights and it had some "man-love" in.. She wanted to turn over, but the rest of us refused, so she went to our manager (another woman) for support... She forgot that my boss has 20 years NOC experience and is effectively a bloke with boobs, so she told to stop being a fusspot and to sit back down...

Just now, we were all having a good laugh as Rob (a chappy from Ghana who loves the stereotype that Black men have
) ordered a double sausage McMuffin while discussing with one of the IP lads about he size of his pipe... I shall leave the rest to your imagination..
edit on 12/5/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I have noticed with British TV that there is only one word never spoken, that's Cee U Next Tuesday, all other four letter words are freely spoken after nine 0'clock at night, (what they call their 'watershed')

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chauserable
Interestingly, the phrase Titbits, has now generally been amended to Tidbits Worldwide due to American discomfort in a word that contains the word 'Tit'.

Ah yes, and cockroaches are now 'roaches' although the Brits still say cockroaches, bless 'em!

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join