It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Difference in Great Britain and the USA: Television

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Could you imagine the bleeps? It would be like morse code!

I get what you say about the beeps - Family Guy has it done in the states prior to getting here (same with American Dad etc) and they bleep out the word crap!

Crap? Really?

This is the UK, give us our swear words!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I've seen several South Park episodes on our TV that aren't beeped, it's kinda weird after getting used to the beeps.

Did you know btw that the Sky watershed is 8pm - 6pm?

I think the south Park movie (?) summed up American attitudes perfectly, with Sheila Broflovski wanting to put every little word and other stuff into context, they are just trying to protect their kids, despite how over the top it may seem to us.

I'm surprised Monty Python was ever allowed over there, lmao.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Yeah, SP is an odd one - sometimes they are beeped, other times not... Doesn't seem to be any consistency..

On the flip side, shows like Alan Carr chatty man don't beep anything apart from the "C" word, which only happened once when he was interviewing Danny Dyer, who he did have to ask to tone down his language as he was swearing like a trooper..

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I can't stand that bloke, I just don't find him funny at all, Alan Carr that is. Now Jimmy Carr on the other hand, seen him live, funny as he is.

I wonder if Roy Chubby Brown has ever toured America? Wouldn't like to be the guy in charge of the bleep box.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

US television . blood = good , breats = bad - pretty much sums it up

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Just to clarify - I don't like him either, its my missus that watches him

Jimmy Carr - Funny as hell!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Dr. Who is great! I Also like the Graham Norton show and a few others. I'm not keen to watch what the OP mentioned

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Are we more prudish than our friends across the pond?

Yes, yes we are. It doesn't really make any sense though. Our society practically beats it into our heads that super skinny women with huge breasts and men with so many muscles it's a wonder they can zip their own pants are the ideal image of a sexy human being, but we can't see a non-sexual image of the human body in movies or on tv until we're 18. Meanwhile, a lot of newer cartoons (from what I've seen) now involve some form of fighting and killing and that's totally cool for your child to watch. Fortunately older cartoons are available and my kids like them. I can do without the constant "battling".

There are some things small children shouldn't be exposed to because they're not mentally and emotionally capable of handling it, but at some point you have to wonder why we're ok with tons of blood and killing being shown to children prior to age 18 and not ok with a non-sexual image of the human body. Why can a 16 year old legally consent to sex, but not go watch a movie where you might see someone's bare butt or breast? I don't have the faintest idea what age would be appropriate for viewing non-sexual images, but I would imagine that it's younger than 18. My kids figured out they have a body years ago and are nowhere near that old.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I can remember in the UK there being a birth of a baby school program which showed it in all its gory details and it was on normal uk tv middle of the day in the mid to late 1980's....lets just say its graphic enough to put most people off childbirth so perhaps showing it is a good form of contraception as young girls say i ain't going through THAT!!!

But really 9pm is when the programming goes from family to adult this would include programs like starskey and hutch which today are showing at any time these days but it did always strike me as strange that the country that produced 80% of the pr0n at the time got so hung up about even something as trivial as a nipple yet if it was guns and gore you could break a 100 deaths a minute with more fake blood than ever seen before and it was fine....hmmmm

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I do not want that my child (I do not have any !) sees such scenes. it may cause Early puberty. I want that they spend their childhood in their childhood. I always think that people of USA or UK are so open to have such medical exams ! you mean there are shy people there too !!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

HiYa and thanks for this thread S n F Smileegrl as per usual....

Yes we have in Englanderville the NHS but there are still people who will not visit their doctor and this series has been running a few years. They advertise when they will be in the next town and of course you can fill in a request to be on the show with your embarrassments... I watch it from time to time for a few mins and cannot believe some of these cases and the education these doctors give to the young people on STD has been amazing....

Thanks again for advertising such a wonderful service er ah lol tv show....

all my best Smileegrl!!!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Yep, British TV is full of garbage like that.

Why on earth do people find it interesting? is it some kind of childish kick because they see bits of bodies?

I'd much rather see some HONEST broadcasting concerning the real problems we all face, some proper investigative journalism, but no, they present us with naked bodies and the herd gets all exited.

The mind just boggles.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

This sort of thing is like what they try and do in a lot of the medical programs like house/causalty by highlighting a medical problem but the difference is that you can see the problem so you can look at yourself and say "better get down the docs in the morning" when you can see it looks the same

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by maes2

I do not want that my child (I do not have any !) sees such scenes. it may cause Early puberty. I want that they spend their childhood in their childhood. I always think that people of USA or UK are so open to have such medical exams ! you mean there are shy people there too !!

That why in the UK we only show programs like this after 9pm so if anyone does not want there children to see it they can make the choice and turn the channel over or put the kids to bed.

It work well and everyone happy

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Reminds me of this article in the ONION I read the other day:

www.theonion.com...

Violence is just fine for the Family Viewing, but god forbid we show love and affection or semi-nudity on television

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
BBC television is full of repeats and fatcats in their corporation get bucket loads of cash plus all the Jimmy Saville perverts plus the others who worked for them made me refuse to pay my licence fee.
I was the mug who paid it monthly by direct debit and stopped it only to find it is paid up until August! Talk about a liberty! No more will I give them a penny from now on.
I can easily watch on demand etc that is not live and legal so they can't touch me on that one.
As for the TV programmes, I watch about 90% American shows all the time from the Internet as ours are rubbish at best of times.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I don't know about the UK, but I saw a prank show from China or Japan, (can't recall which one). They showed a guy going into an outdoor portable toilet. While he was sitting on the john, a crane picked up the entire porta potty while the guy was sitting there embarrassed and trying to cover up.
If this was done in the U.S., there probably would be a major lawsuit for an invasion of privacy.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hi smyleegrl

I can only add to what others have said about how it's pretty much fair game here after 9pm or the watershed if you will, I have seen some shows that you would consider anti government on British television quite a few times and other things that might be seen as against the grain. As long as it is not down right offensive or absolutely sick without it stating so, it has a right to be shown. Though sometimes controversial things have been banned in the past and some might say that it is more signs of a totalitarian state.

I suppose when it's all weighed up it's all about intent, for instance I remember when I had flu when I was 10 and when I put BBC on at about 9:30 AM I was greeted by a sex education programme that went into a lot of detail about sex and relationships, intention was to probably educate those studying at home for tests because a lot of GCSE bitesize TV programmes were on at the same time also (something you might know about being a teacher and all) it was a helping hand for the education system at the time, something no longer seen on British television like it was then.

Some things fail some things work.

So in my opinion it's always about intent, if it's a controversial subject what is the pro's and con's? some things fail and never get tried again and others thrive because the viewers love it.
Not as many Christians (or any other uptight religion) here in the UK either to write letters of complaint to the programme providers if they show a bit of breast or whatever, not that it's always religious folk who complain because it's definitely not we Brits love a moan.

It is all based on rights and contrary to a lot of Americans choose to believe... we Brits have many rights that are usually held upon the highest regard and just like any freedom loving emancipation supporting nation, there is always people who are willing to put time and effort into making sure that is so.

Just like the USA... chalk and cheese to compare the two really isn't it? just like comparing the TV shows we have on offer I suppose

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
BBC television is full of repeats and fatcats in their corporation get bucket loads of cash plus all the Jimmy Saville perverts plus the others who worked for them made me refuse to pay my licence fee.
I was the mug who paid it monthly by direct debit and stopped it only to find it is paid up until August! Talk about a liberty! No more will I give them a penny from now on.
I can easily watch on demand etc that is not live and legal so they can't touch me on that one.
As for the TV programmes, I watch about 90% American shows all the time from the Internet as ours are rubbish at best of times.

Now now

We do have some excellent TV and actors, David Attenborough, Sir Patrick Moore? fair enough some horrid things have been discovered in the BBC and parliament, well the upper upper class really. This doesn't mean you should give up faith on british TV just switch to channel four
and as for the TV liscence at least you get a non-biased biased and professional news reporting... and bargain hunt

I support your view though
most TV is crap and honestly I do not watch much of it, but we do have some awesome programmes coming from here, to deny that is daft really.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Its funny America is supposed to be the land of the free blah blah blah and have what you claim freedom of speech but your TV is heavly censored compared to the "tyranical" country you broke away from in the first place.......

Kinda seem abit Ironic

As for letting violence on TV its simple. Showing violence to kid helps them grow up thinking it normal or even better good. Help with army recrutmnet and war support if the next wave of soldiers are being indoctrinated with a lust for blood.
edit on 11-5-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join