It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandy Hook school to be demolished, new school built on same site

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Well, this comes as a surprise! I've heard of whole areas of a school being sealed off and/or rebuilt. This is a new one for the entire facility being demolished and rebuilt from scratch, isn't it? I'm really curious..has anyone heard of this before?

NEWTOWN — After considering 40 locations, deliberating for weeks and hearing from countless residents, officials Friday decided the Sandy Hook Elementary School community belongs in its original home — but in a new building.

A 28-member task force late Friday voted unanimously to construct a new school on the existing site of the old Sandy Hook school, after focusing heavily on that site and the Senior Athletic Field on Riverside Road. Members also considered the Fairfield Hills property and Reed Intermediate School Friday, but decided those weren’t viable options.

Some people have told task force members they did not want to go back to that site, and especially not to the current building, members said. James Gatson said he also thinks about the families that might want to move to Sandy Hook and how they might feel about sending their young children to school.
Source

I'm not quite sure how I'd feel about this, personally. I have no question about not sending my kid to the same building, specific to where the events happened. (No.) I'm just not sure if I'd want him there at all. Rebuilt or not.

I'm one of those people who believes a location can retain "memory" or echos of a particularly powerful event. Call it haunting or, literally, echo. Either way, I'd really have to be there to see if there was anything to be felt in that way?

It's ....unsettling. So many innocents in such an instant and brutal way. There has to be remnants that will always be at that spot. Then again, it isn't my community and no where near what impacts me personally, so it's really what they think is best.

*Note: The topic tends to get wayyy out there in odd directions, no matter what aspect is ever brought up about it. It's my hope we can avoid that here. It's really regarding the decision to demolish and rebuild on the same site as well as an open question?

What do parents here think for how they'd feel about sending their kids back to the same site something of this scale happened?

Would it even be an issue?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I am skeptical about locations having "memories" so to speak, but that is 100% personal opinion.

As far as the school goes it would depend on a lot of things. However, this is one of the few situations where "kids know best". By that I mean it would depend on what my child needed/wanted. If my child was fearful of the school, I would change his/her school (his in my case). Kids are resilient in many regards though.

I can 100% understand the need for a new school after this. There are serious emotional stains and scars in that community. I do not understand putting it in the same location. What is the point? If the location is tainted it will always be and if it isn't a new building is a waste of time and money.

Simply building a new school in the same location isn't going to fool kids. It's possible the whole thing is simply an emotional salve for the adults or (as much as I hate to say it) a means to keep this incident in the news for a while longer.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
So... the conspiracy is then that the shooter(s) were brainwashed by builders (in cahoots with the local authorities) to have a traumatic slaughter happen at that place, knowing that they'd get the multi million dollar contract to tear it down and rebuild it afterwards.

Hey, its as sensible as any other theory proposed so far.
(and less offensive than claiming it never happened)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I can 100% understand the need for a new school after this. There are serious emotional stains and scars in that community. I do not understand putting it in the same location. What is the point? If the location is tainted it will always be and if it isn't a new building is a waste of time and money.

Simply building a new school in the same location isn't going to fool kids. It's possible the whole thing is simply an emotional salve for the adults or (as much as I hate to say it) a means to keep this incident in the news for a while longer.

I figured I'd drop a reply on this before I head off to get some sleep because it strikes me as interesting, how you put that.

I tend to agree with you and the same thought crossed my mind with it. If the site is tainted, what does it do for replacing the buildings on the very same ground? I think you make a real good point. Kids aren't stupid in some areas, by any means. They may not know math to out fox adults yet and they may not read War and Peace to give a quick summary...but they sure have a sense of things in the oddest ways at times.

I also have to say, you come up with a pretty good solution on a parental approach. A solid one for basis too. If the child is seriously disturbed by it, they probably wouldn't be comfortable there, no matter how many millions are spent on a new set of buildings. Moving to a new school entirely may be the only solution in that case.

It's a shame what extreme tragedy leaves in it's wake for those who survive it ...or weren't even directly touched by it at the time, yet have to live in the aftermath.

@Alfa

Well, that's a fascinating theory you have there...although it's really what I'm hoping to avoid in sticking to the story presented. That's where just about any thread remotely related to this tragedy tends to get run clear off the rails within the first page. Far out theories...and why I'd noted how far from anything like that, the news story here actually is.

edit on 11-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Watch it come with bars and look like a mental hospital.

That's what they did when they moved our old high school to an old hospital.

Thank goodness I was out of school by then.

Hate to see how those kids think now.

Frankly, I'm not surprised. Starting to smell like a cover up now.

Get rid of the evidence and what better way to do that then to demolish it.

edit on 11-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Oh what a horrible thing! Moving a school to an old Hospital? Not like anything bad or tragic ever happens in a place like that, eh? Sometimes I wonder if folks give any consideration to how small kids see things? I'm thinking they so totally forget that kids really are still kids and not just miniature adults...they end up doing more harm than any good which is intended.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

how old is the school building - and what was its projected service life ? a more prosaic explaination might be that this incident is the catalyst to bring forward a pre-planned rebuild rather than spend money re-opening the school ` as - is `

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This was expected by those of us who know about fraudulent government operations. Its merely standard operating procedure for the perpetrators of such hoaxes as SH to rid the scene of all incriminating evidence, which in this case is the building itself. No one person ever got to within even one inch of that building during the entire time that the hoax was being carried out. These are big lies here folks - the kind that alter the course of nations such as we saw on 9/11.

Several of us here on ATS predicted that this would surely happen, while many here (protectors of a corrupt regime) vociferously denied that such a thing would ever happen.
edit on 11-5-2013 by POXUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
As a parent, I personally would not want another school to be built on the same site - too many memories at that location. I would prefer that a memorial be built there instead and the school built at another location.

On the conspiracy side, I saw a video and thread posted a while back which alluded that Sandy Hook school was built on a specific ley line...meaning the location was picked specifically for the event that occurred there. If you google "Sandy Hook Ley Line" there are videos posted that go into this theory. I am not saying I buy into it all but after watching the video that I did, it would be enough not to re-build there.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
And who is going to pay for the demolition, waste removal, contractors, and rebuilding effort to build a school...where a school currently resides...

Seems like a waste of resources.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
As a parent, I personally would not want another school to be built on the same site - too many memories at that location. I would prefer that a memorial be built there instead and the school built at another location.

On the conspiracy side, I saw a video and thread posted a while back which alluded that Sandy Hook school was built on a specific ley line...meaning the location was picked specifically for the event that occurred there. If you google "Sandy Hook Ley Line" there are videos posted that go into this theory. I am not saying I buy into it all but after watching the video that I did, it would be enough not to re-build there.

I thank you for your reply on this. I had a similar thought for a memorial and tend to carry similar thoughts for a memorial being appropriate while they build a new school elsewhere. I'd looked up the Amish Schoolhouse Massacre, as it came to be known, as something remotely similar for the horror of what happened..if not the numbers of victims, and found that is what they'd done in that case.

Before and After of the Amish Schoolhouse Massacre

Amish Schoolhouse Massacre - Basic Events and Story

Neither story really discusses the true aspects of the killer's intentions, that made it as terrible as it was..and that is intentional. They both give the important parts, in different ways. The Amish found Grace and Forgiveness where I honestly don't think I ever could. They also rebuilt the school in a new location for a fresh start with the future generations of children who would come and learn there. I think they likely had the right idea for new beginnings.

It's unfortunate that, as I read the article for Newtown, the driving interest in that specific decision seems to have been about money and acquisition of land...while indications are, they're planning tens of millions into the overall start-finish cost of the school as it is.Odd about that.

I understand what you mean about Ley lines and I actually hadn't checked anything I have on the subject to see how that may apply. It had never even crossed my mind, though on thinking about it now, it sure should have. My Faith is especially sensitive to that aspect of nature, and I don't want to say more in speculation until having a chance to do a little research, worthy to the topic in that regard. That would make a powerful reason to avoid using the same site, beyond the obvious though. A very compelling one at that, given what has happened there.

edit on 11-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It really does seem weird to demolish then rebuild on the exact same site. Just the cost alone would seem to amplify the tragedy. Just guessing numbers here, 5mil to demo, 15-20mil to rebuild. The dollar amount alone should be enough to not go through with their plan. But, just think of the legacy. A kid shoots up a school, so we reward his actions with a new school? Something isn't right about that logic. They didn't destroy Columbine or VA Tech. I guess if I were a homeowner in the area and my taxes were going up because 28 people decided that we have to destroy a school and rebuild on the same ground, I would probably flip my lid. It makes zero sense on the surface.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

That is another good point. If the children would find it acceptable, as another earlier post mentions, it does make one question why the enormous sums of money would be spent in replacing the whole facility.

Columbine had a truly evil thing happen and isolated, in large part, to one specific physical area. They sealed that area off completely, and for a rare example, I'll use the Wiki version to give the shorthand for how they handled the next steps.

The school went through a major renovation in 1995, just four years before the massacre, adding a new library and cafeteria. After the shootings, Columbine completely demolished its library, located above the cafeteria, since it was the site where thirteen of the deaths occurred. The site was then turned into a memorial ceiling and atrium; a new, larger library was built on the hill where the shooting began and dedicated to the memory of the victims.
Source

That does show a second and very different, but I imagine, no less appropriate way of dealing with extreme tragedy involving children at a school facility. I suppose in the case of the Newtown shootings, it will play out in the long term for being as unique in it's own ways as it's been in almost every way to this point.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well that's just a waste of money (but good for the construction companies). Just because something happened somewhere doesn't mean it has to be destroyed - terrorists win and all that - although it should probably contain some kind of monument to the dead children. But you'd always have the gawkers (although they will come anyway just to see the grounds on which the murders happened).

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Pretty bad taste, surprised no one has even voiced concerns about the fact apparitions and hauntings will more than likely increase a hundred fold?. Pretty sure that all needs to be risk assessed.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

They have the money to waste. That area was already awash with cash before the millions in mindless "we have to do something!" donations started pouring in.

My guess is they're sitting on so much and have nothing to do with it they figure they'll make some infrastructure investments while they have it.

I suspect the school rebuild wont be the last thing they buy with the money. Probably a ton of "in memorium" projects in the pipe right now from new bus stops to parks to sewage channels.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by POXUSA

You may have noticed, in the OP? I specifically noted this was intended as a thread to focus on the narrow aspects of the aftermath of the event and not the many theories which the tragedy has spawned. Everyone has 100% rights to their opinions and interpretations of this whole thing. That isn't my point.

My point is, we have any number of threads at ATS that deal with the speculation of what happened there in the time before and during the deaths that brought the OP story into being. I'd really appreciate it if you might take this specific line of thought to one which is, actually, geared for that angle of it. Or, if you think you have something significantly new and worthy of discussion within the very clear statements of policy made by ATS staff on the subject, start your very own thread.

However, this really is the last place intended for it. I knew I was taking a big risk of seeing this derailed when I posted it to attempt a Post-Event discussion of what will happen in the aftermath. (whatever we each may think happened for the details of the event itself.) I hope discussion on that area can continue without seeing the thread closed due to spin offs into totally unrelated directions..

(I'd held my tongue on the first 3 msgs...and the one actually ridiculing another member who was replying within the OP topic...but given that I did make the thread, it seems appropriate to make a comment at this point.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join