It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Salt Is Needed For Survival And Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, excellent information. To add, this is the best medicine for tooth ache as well.

Soothe Sore Throats

To alleviate the discomfort of a mild sore throat, gargle several times daily with a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon Salt and 1/2 cup warm water*. It’s like taking a liquid lozenge.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

On a lighter note. .. Are you saying that IF we don't Shower we can use Our arm as a Salt Lick and completely pitch the Shaker. .. ?

Also, I think back in the 70's and before, Allot of Factories use to supply Salt Tablets to help employees prevent dehydration. Especially since allot of factories are really hot. Though since then I think the practice has gone by the wayside.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

We need salt. It's a fact or we wouldn't crave it. We only crave naturally what our body needs. It's a signal. Not the addictions of other substances but actually craving tells us what we need.

And you being in Sask...you need it more than most. Too much hot weather, sweating and draining of the salts.

Peace

I've got to start adding salt to stuff. I was starting to wonder why I was so dehydrated, and headachy, I thought I was lacking in heathy fats, so I added more coconut oil. If you don't eat many processed foods, it doesn't add up to enough. Even a can of sardines only has 200 mg sodium

I have to start eating bags of chips for lunch or something.

*still have the Sask property, but we're in rural northern Alberta now for hubby's work. Much more work here for a truck driver
I get to hang around the house playing gardener/landscaper.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VimanaExplorer

A half teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of baking soda in a half glass of water works even better for gargling. An old guy told me about this, I researched and found that it was actually tested by some researcher somewhere.. The bicarbonate actually neutralizes a few toxins created by microbes and It also kills some troublesome bacteria and fungals.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
reply to post by jude11

We need salt. It's a fact or we wouldn't crave it. We only crave naturally what our body needs. It's a signal. Not the addictions of other substances but actually craving tells us what we need.

And you being in Sask...you need it more than most. Too much hot weather, sweating and draining of the salts.

Peace

I've got to start adding salt to stuff. I was starting to wonder why I was so dehydrated, and headachy, I thought I was lacking in heathy fats, so I added more coconut oil. If you don't eat many processed foods, it doesn't add up to enough. Even a can of sardines only has 200 mg sodium

I have to start eating bags of chips for lunch or something.

*still have the Sask property, but we're in rural northern Alberta now for hubby's work. Much more work here for a truck driver
I get to hang around the house playing gardener/landscaper.

Can't say why or how but I'll be in your area very soon.
Through our membership time together, I have an idea where you might be and without sounding creepy (It isn't) I have a long lost friend (Love) in your exact area and I'll soon be reconnecting.

When/If I get there, I'll U2U and let you know.

Peace to you as always!

Jude11

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
That article is only applicable when you're getting 20 grams of salt a day...

how about these?

Hyponatremia in sports

Another article on hyponatremia

And another...

In our culture as is, you are going to likely get all the sodium you need, although some people who avoid salt like the plague and exercise are hyponatremic.

But in a SHTF culture, when none of your food is processed, if you live inland, your salt intake will be insufficient in the summer when you're sweating. Some vegetables will concentrate salt for you, tomatoes and celery are the best, but even that won't be enough. This is why deer look for salt licks.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by VimanaExplorer

A half teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of baking soda in a half glass of water works even better for gargling. An old guy told me about this, I researched and found that it was actually tested by some researcher somewhere.. The bicarbonate actually neutralizes a few toxins created by microbes and It also kills some troublesome bacteria and fungals.

And there's another use for salt. If you've got salt, or salt and baking soda, you can use it as a very effective tooth powder. A little salt and a proper twig, and you can keep the pliers out of your mouth for some time.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Some still provide salt pills but with the negative publicity about salt over the years many got rid of the tablets. Most put a machine with chips in though, that way they get some profit from you craving salt.
If you notice, most medical sites don't say that salt gives people high blood pressure anymore, they say that it may contribute to high pressure in some individuals. The direct tie in with blood pressure has been proven false. You have to remember that electrolytes are important in the right balance in the body.

I worked in construction for many years. You lick your arm sometimes to see if you are salty so you can tell if you are loosing a lot. It is very important when you are in the sun all day to have enough salt.
edit on 10-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I just thought I'd pass along this video that explains a little about salt's importance. My doctor had been telling me that I needed to add salt to my diet because something was off in my bloodwork. I personally take Himilayan pink salt and avoid normal processed table salt.

edit on 10-5-2013 by jimmysinger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmysinger
I just thought I'd pass along this video that explains a little about salt's importance. My doctor had been telling me that I needed to add salt to my diet because something was off in my bloodwork. I personally take Himilayan pink salt and avoid normal processed table salt.

edit on 10-5-2013 by jimmysinger because: (no reason given)

Nice!

I have recently started selling the same salt in my store. Few takers but it seems to be catching on.

Peace

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Salt isn't bad, it's good.

Water for plant isn't bad, it's NEEDED.

Too much water will kill a plant.

As long as excess water leaves the plants domain it should live, and well.

Yet humans seem to insist on never breaking a sweat (saltwater), while consuming massive amounts of salt everyday.

There might be a formula to live by there. I'll let you decide.

As long as you have typical stored consumer product foods stored, you shouldn't need worry about sodium.

For long term get a Costco'esque membership. Uber cheap there, unless you find a restaurant supply market, open to the public, you probably wont beat those prices.
edit on 11-5-2013 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
Is that true? we need salt??

Hell yeah you do!

My stepfather's parents were a doctor (father) and a nurse (mother).

His Mum ended up in hospital in a serious condition because she removed anything with salt in it from her diet.

Also, you need big, bad sugar too. I ran too low on sugar alone out bush once and was lucky to make it back. First sign of this, I can tell you, is feeling weak at the knees.
edit on 11/5/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
There's some evidence, if I can find the study I'll post a link, that if you try to eat less salt you will increase the amount you eat until you get enough. World-wide, including areas with and without high blood pressure problems, salt intake is about the same: 4500mg a day on average. The WHO currently recommends 5000mg a day. Some countries, like India, are reported to average about 9000mg a day.

Real studies, instead of medical opinions about salt consumption, show that higher salt intake may be beneficial: Salt is GOOD for you: Eating more could even lower the chances of heart disease

At least one of the source of recommendations for lowering salt intake claims lower medical costs on the order of billions of $$$ is a computer simulation which has built into it that specific assumption. It gets quoted a lot but I don't recall that the equation is based on real data that shows improved health among people who are not ill. That same decrease in population health can likely also be achieved by increasing intake of potassium to keep the potassium - sodium ratio in better balance.

Sometimes I feel like I've awakened in the move "Sleeper":

Always trust the data, opinions even from professionals in a field are next to worthless. If the opinion isn't based on data, it's not science. It's just another opinion. Worse yet is a consensus of opinions which are not based in real data. Consensus is not science either -- it's more akin to religion.

edit on 11-5-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Looking around for hard numbers - it looks like you need 1000 to 4000 mg a day depending on how much you are sweating. So plow with mules in the southeast in the summer and you will lose salt like mad.

From here, you'd think you only get about 10% of the sodium you actually need, if all you're eating are natural foods:

American adults consume an average of 2.5 to 3.5 g of potassium daily. Individuals consuming large amounts of fruits and vegetables may have a daily intake of as high as 11 g. Sodium is consumed mainly as sodium chloride (table salt). A small amount is consumed as sodium carbonate, sodium citrate, and sodium glutamate. Intakes of sodium vary, averaging 2 to 5 g/day of sodium or 5 to 13 g/day of sodium chloride. Only about 10 percent of sodium intake is from natural foods, the rest from sodium salts added during cooking and at the table, and from salts added during processing of foods.

Now, that corresponds to what I recall from SERE-C, if you're inland and down to eating bugs and roots in hot weather, you're going to be hyponatremic unless you're primarily inland Native American or African, because Irish crackers such as myself (albeit about 16% Cherokee) lose salt like MAD in sweat and pee. So you pack salt, either in pills or in a water tight container (I always had a little water proof container of salt).

In a survival situation, you won't be eating processed food. If you're not adding in salt, you'll end up in trouble eventually.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Here's a comment by Dr. Alderman who actually ran a large study on the effects of reduced salt vs normal and high salt intake. The medical community didn't like the results, but the data is the data. When a study is well done at least!

A Pinch of Science

There are now others studies which show reducing salt increases mortality. If you read the article, you will note that he also points out there is little evidence other than allegorical evidence to support claims that reducing salt save lives.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by Bedlam

Potassium Chloride is used in Metal Halide Lamps ( Lights ).

Or, it could be used to treat low blood levels of potassium.

Bzzt back at ya.

4.5 GRAMS of potassium each day is needed to balance the 3 grams of sodium each day to maintain the sodium-potassium pump every cell in the body works o exchange nutrients/waste, water/O2/CO2. Search engine sodium-potassium pump.

Potassium is so prevalent in nearly everything, taking any more than a half teaspoon of KCl dissolved in water each day WILL send your heart into serious problems. In fact you don't only not need any, you can cause the imbalance in the other direction instead of too much salt.

Only if you sweat out a gallon of sweat might you think about adding a pinch of KCl to your water along with NaCl.. I made this mistake. On an annual physical my EKG was full of irregular heart beats, skips, and racings. I was feeling a bit light headed.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
i hate salt. my boss always sends me to log the salt caverns

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
One more quote from a real study on cardio-vascular disease (CVD), not some fake claim based on common medical opinion:

After adjusting for known CVD risk factors, such as smoking, diabetes and blood pressure, the one-fourth of the sample who reported consuming the lowest amount of sodium were found to be 80% more likely to die from CVD compared to the one-fourth of the sample consuming the highest level of sodium. The risk for death from any cause appeared 24% greater for those consuming lower salt, but this latter difference was not quite large enough to dismiss the role of chance.

More info on this is found here:
New study casts further doubt on risk of death from higher salt intake

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A low-sodium diet is 3000 mg or less/day.
That is the amount of sodium in about 2 teaspoons of NaCl--table salt.

That is also about the amount of sodium lost every day through invisible sweat loss, urinary loss, and fecal loss.

That is also about the amount of sodium in one liter of extracellular fluid ( about 140mEq/L).

Sweating can greatly increase sodium loss, as can diuretics, and diarrhea.

If your serum sodium drops much below 130mEq/L, you will get weak and confused. If it drops below 120 mEq/L, seizures and death are imminent without correction.

To change mEq Sodium to mg Sodium, multiply by 23.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

There is KCL in "No salt". People who use that should be aware of the dangers of it. I keep it around just in case I need it but that is very unlikely since I eat enough potatoes.
edit on 11-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join