It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Time be on a loop?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If time was looping over the course of billions of years or looping every 100 years, we could be repeating our lives for what could be an eternity never knowing it except for those who experience ghosts or something left over from a gazillion past iterations of their lives. If you could remember your past time loop or life, you could try something new each time.

edit on 10/5/13 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

Well let me start this by saying time travel is possible we do it all the time we move forward in time. So if you can curve space you can curve time as well creating all most like whirlpools in the fabric of space time. This is the reason that alternate universes needed to exist really have nothing to do with the grandfather paradox. But the problem is the amount of energy needed to pull this trick off makes it essentially impossible. Now we move on to particle physics again we know we know that particles can move forward and backward in time they don't care well that's not exactly true it was shown that some particles prefer one or the other. But again this means if you were to drop a glass it's not going to magically jump back into your hand. Why you ask the pesky variable of quantum mechanics every particle must pick a state when observed the act of observation sets the particle. So bottom line unless some new science pops up we could never harness enough energy to curve space time to move backwards in time. And not entirely sure id want to be anywhere near where this was attempted.And yes we could send a particle back in time but i cant see how that could possibly be usefull in any way other then maybe sending a message but the catch would be someone would have to be looking for the message. So you would have to invent a machine but you could never get a message to before it was created.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
How does time go back to the beginning then ? a record player has to be manually lifted back to replay the tunes over again.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

lol futurama did an episode with that idea...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I figure we have a Perfectly Oscillating Universe. That means when, Big Chill or Big Crunch - it doesn't matter, the universe disassembles it will reform and proceed exactly the same as before and no one will EVER be able to know if this is our fist-time OR our quadrillionth-to-the-googolplex-power-time.

YIKES! Talk about 'chasin' your tail'.

I know...that even takes the "Fun" outta funeral.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My opinion about the grandfather paradox: the universe has a way, like a hack, that doesn't allow paradoxes like the grandfather paradox to happen, people who will do it simply don't exist, they will never be born. Maybe you were only born because you will not break any paradox, if the sperm cell that can result in the kid that does this, the universe simply says no and another sperm cell takes its place or, the woman loses the baby.

Just saying.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The thread title made me think of this..

Korg.

edit on 11-5-2013 by Korg Trinity because: to fix vid

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Many ancient myths, religions, ideas..etc..say that time is a loop.

In the myths of India the god Brahma creates the world, and then goes to sleep, w hereafter the god Vishnu appears and preserves the things Brahma created, and near the end the god Shiva enters the world and destroys it. Brahma then wakes up from his slumber, finds the world gone, and re-creates it once again, and things start over, and repeats. The universe cycles through creation, preservation, and destruction, endlessly.

In the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes, the preacher describes the world as a time loop..

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

-- Ecclesiastes 1:9-11

In the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus tells us that time is a loop, again,..

The disciples said to Jesus: Tell us how our end shall be. Jesus said: Have you then discovered the beginning that you seek after the end? For where the beginning is, there shall the end be. Blessed is he who shall stand in the beginning, and he shall know the end and shall not taste death.

-- The Gospel of Thomas, 18

www.gospelofthomas.org...

The Jews believe that at the end of the world, they will be in their own land called "Israel", after being scattered around the world, from the exodus from that same land previously. Then, of course, there will be another exodus from the land of Israel, and the Jews once more scatter to the four corners of the earth, in the next cycle.

It doesn't end.

Since the Jews are in Israel today, if time is a cycle, the world must be near to "reboot".

The bible could then be seen as a compressed history of what kinds of things happened, and are thus expected to happen again, in the cycle past and future. That's why we keep the book around.

If history didn't repeat, there would be no need to study history.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
according to futurama, it is!

seriously, good topic. does make one think!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Your record player analogy of time is interesting, but the recording on the vinyl record
is a spiral and not a loop.
My own guess is that Time is like a spiral and Eternity
is like a loop.
In "Time" the future does not affect the present and the present does not affect
the past because the Infinite spiral nature of time isolates past, present,and future
events from each other.

Eternity would be like a true loop of ever changing events where
the future could affect the past There would be no isolation of events.
Actually no sense of past/present /future.

Then again, if one were to "scratch the spiral"( of time) on the vinyl recording it would be creating
another type of loop/eternity, where the record just keeps repeating itself
over and over and over...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Technically, if you were to go back in time and kill your grandfather, you would have never existed in the first place in order to go back and kill your grandfather making it impossible to do so. If you were to try and go into the past, nothing you could do would have any significant impact on you existing, you would not be able to just fade out of existence, because you would have never existed previously, in order to go back to the past and alter your existence. Hopefully that makes sense. If you were able to go back to the past I feel that you could effect everything and anything other than your own means of coming about.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
If time was looping over the course of billions of years or looping every 100 years, we could be repeating our lives for what could be an eternity never knowing it except for those who experience ghosts or something left over from a gazillion past iterations of their lives. If you could remember your past time loop or life, you could try something new each time.

edit on 10/5/13 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

It's much more simpler then that you know your breaking the chain when you do it because either your physical or spiritual body will start acting different warning you that you are crossing a barrier.

Another thing that happens say you have something turned off. you get a thought to use that device but you don't. Out of the corner of your eye it looks like it's on when you look it's off.

Nothing to go crazy about but it's a sign that you just crossed into another plane because in the one you just left you was using the device.

Done it not long ago.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I always wondered if time is stored somewhere in the Universe. A computer stores information & you can go back & change that information., so the next time you log on all current information will reflect or work off the change you made from the past. Our technology & understanding is always changing & we can do things today that could only be dreamed of, or thought impossible years ago. In the future will we figure a way to tap into time? Maybe not physically visit the past, but be able to change the path by altering the information. Or Not.lol i don't dare to claim I have any idea what i'm saying

edit on 11-5-2013 by ImagineAlldaPeople because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I get up.

Brush my teeth.

Go to work.

Come home.

Eat.

Go the sleep.

I get up.

Brush my teeth.

Go to work.

Come home.

Eat.

Go to sleep.

I get up......

.....yep....time is a loop.

I live it everyday.

Why should the whole universe be any different?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImagineAlldaPeople
I always wondered if time is stored somewhere in the Universe. A computer stores information & you can go back & change that information., so the next time you log on all current information will reflect or work off the change you made from the past. Our technology & understanding is always changing & we can do things today that could only be dreamed of, or thought impossible years ago. In the future will we figure a way to tap into time? Maybe not physically visit the past, but be able to change the path by altering the information. Or Not.lol i don't dare to claim I have any idea what i'm saying

edit on 11-5-2013 by ImagineAlldaPeople because: (no reason given)

Everything from rocks to birds observes it's surroundings and stores memory or information. Thus the universe through everything in it stores and observes information much like your brain does thoughts/memories etc and also the world around you!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't think you CAN go back in time, because everything is still the same as it was 50 years ago. It just appears different to us because human presence on Earth in this dimension progresses linearly, thus affecting the reality of offspring.

If you think about the feeling of the word NOW, is it just one continuous drawn out moment? Or is it a split second linearity that progresses forward? I believe it is the former, since that is the nature of consciousness.

You don't grow old, your body does.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XsweetNspiceyX

Damn your avatar is distracting me.

Anyhow...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RavenSpeaks

Eternity would be like a true loop of ever changing events where
the future could affect the past There would be no isolation of events.
Actually no sense of past/present /future.

Then again, if one were to "scratch the spiral"( of time) on the vinyl recording it would be creating
another type of loop/eternity, where the record just keeps repeating itself
over and over and over...

You make an interesting point...one I should have noticed, when you say a scratch in vinyl can lead to a continual, unending repeat of that area of the record...That's a good point. i hate mentioning movies to make points but hey...So in ground hog day, Bill Murry, is stuck in such a position, where the same day keeps repeating, like time is stuck on a scratched record. He is in his own time line, as opposed to the back to the future movies and he can change events in his own time line..however what happens in the movie is that nobody other than Murry can remember or has knowledge of the time loop and even though bill repeatedly attempts to change the outcome of events, it has little or no impact on what happens..well until the very end of the movie, where time carry's on to the next day finally.

For some reason science does not account for our conscious memory of events and the possible implications of time travel on our consciousness. It's instead taken for granted that the time traveler will know he/she has indeed traveled in time. If the missing time phenomena is true, then people who find their watches or clocks have mysteriously skipped a few hours, have traveled in time, with no knowledge of it...for example.

Also the other point i was making, about a boulder being put in a stream and the water bending around it. With building 7 in particular, even though no plane hit it, we as a conscious civilization have generally accepted it fell just as though a plane hit it. In other words consciousness has bent around an improbable scenario and come out the other side of it and carried on down the path of least resistance.

much like the grandfather scenario...if a guy showed up and said he literally had no grandfather...he could explain it away, that his grandmother must have had an affair with the milkman to explain his fathers birth etc. that's what i mean, improbably events do happen but we explain them away. could these improbable events be scratches in the time line, which our conciseness cannot explain and instead we just bend around them and carry on down the river.

UFO's are another example of this bending or acceptance of something we cannot explain or rationalize, so we leave it as a gap and carry on around it. And many believe UFO's may well be time machines, which adds a further dimension to this idea..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I believe time runs in a Figure 8 loop. Where the circles intersect we see synchronicity, which is how we know the cycle is running properly. Sometimes we experience deja vu instead of synchronicity. This is a sign that we've intersected this point in time before.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
One thing about the rotation of the planets, and how you say they end up in the exact same areas that they once occupied, that is a little off. Actually they do orbit the sun, but never actually end up in the same place, because the sun is also orbiting around the center of the milky way galaxy. so although it may look like we end up in the same place, we do not. It's like a screw. It will go in a circular fashion, but end up at a different place slightly off from where it was before.

Now time, may also act in this way. We end up in the same seasons and days of the year over and over again, but at different years. Although everything remains the same, it is always changing.

Thats my thought on all that jazz..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join