It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Military on alert for possible evac of embassy in Tripoli

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The U.S. military has alerted two military units in Europe to be on standby (if needed) to respond to a deteriorating security situation in Tripoli, Fox News is reporting.

The U.S. embassy and British embassy in Libya have removed non-essential staff from their embassies.

A Marine unit based in Moron, Spain, is in the process of being repositioned closer to Libya.

Stuttgart, Germany, a special operations force assigned to AFRICOM has been placed on heightened alert.

This is all I have at present

www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-05-10/us-forces-in-europe...
edit on 10-5-2013 by 727Sky because: link

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
To give a little back story.... The crisis in Tripoli may well impact our Embassy, but it's peripheral to it. This has been building for many days now and focuses on people out of the Gadaffi regime, demanding the opportunity to share power in the nation's leadership. Right or wrong on the truth of that? It's what has been stated and how this has come to be, up to this point.

Libya's defense minister resigned on Tuesday in protest at a siege by gunmen of two government ministries that he denounced as an assault on democracy almost two years after the fall of dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

It sounds tho, like a bad situation is getting worse. Here is a bit more

He was the first cabinet minister to quit in a crisis over the siege, which armed groups refused to lift even after parliament bowed on Sunday to their main demand by banning from government posts any senior official who served under Gaddafi.

"I will never be able to accept that politics (can) be practiced by the power of weapons ... This is an assault against the democracy I have sworn to protect," Defense Minister Mohammed al-Bargathi said.
(Source)

I'd say someone ought to help and see about diffusing this situation but I look around for anyone with credibility, particularly in Libya right now and? Well... Nvm... I wish the Embassy staff who remain the best in steering clear and, failing that, getting out before anyone else dies in that nation from our side. Perhaps it's time to completely withdraw all Western personnel and let the Libyans sort it out.

We can contact whoever survives what follows now and see about relations at that point. I don't think we have much leg to stand on for anything else at this moment.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The positioning comes after a series of disturbing security developments. Protests broke out Sunday in the capital. The U.S., Britain and France -- the coalition that overthrew Muammar Qaddafi -- issued a joint warning Wednesday to the militias to observe the rule of law, amid concerns about rising tensions between armed rival factions. In Benghazi, there were two explosions at police stations.

Is a quote from Fox news. Wonder if the Muslim Brotherhood has anything to do with this or is it the disorganized militia groups becoming a little more organized?

Good gosh Wrabbit you are quick!! I wish I could use more than 2 fingers to type!!

edit on 10-5-2013 by 727Sky because: good gosh

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Unstable situation in a country that we helped to force change on.. Hmmmm now there is some food for thought. Maybe next time allied forces wont be so quick to manipulate the rules of a No Fly Zone.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So how serious are we talking here, i mean the high alert? Does this involve mobilization of troops or?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Some information from the website of the Tripoli Embassy.

libya.usembassy.gov...

April 23, 2013 “The U.S. Embassy in Libya condemns today’s attack on the French Embassy in Tripoli and extends its condolences to all those who were hurt as a result of the bombing. We look to the Libyan government to continue its efforts to strengthen security across Libya. Such violence is a direct attack against all Libyans who fought a revolution in order to enjoy a democratic future with security and prosperity. We want Libyans to achieve their aspirations peacefully.”

CNN story on that car bomb.

www.cnn.com...

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- A car bomb exploded just outside the French Embassy in Tripoli early Tuesday morning, injuring two French security guards and a Libyan girl, officials said. The blast was so powerful it blew the front wall off the embassy. Homes can cars adjacent to the embassy sustained heavy damage, and the windows of nearby buildings in this upscale, largely residential neighborhood were also blown out. During a visit to the area, Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi said a 13-year-old girl in a nearby house was injured in the attack and will be taken to Tunisia for treatment. Barasi, who condemned the attack, said he had spoken with the French ambassador to Libya, who assured him he will not leave Tripoli. The French Foreign Ministry issued a statement condemning the attack.

libya.usembassy.gov...

P3 Statement on Situation in Libya We call on all Libyans to refrain from armed protest and violence during this difficult time in the democratic transition. The Libyan people bravely fought and overthrew a dictator in order to ensure a stable, free, and prosperous future for themselves and their children in a country governed by the rule of law. As Libya manages this challenging transition, it is vital that the country's institutions operate free from armed intimidation. Peaceful deliberation of legislation and Government decisions was unheard of under the Qadhafi regime, and is part of the honourable struggle for building a better society. The democratically elected representatives and leaders of the Libyan people must be able to carry out their duties and move forward with the constitution motivated by their responsibility to the Libyans who elected them rather than by the threat of force. The international community is observing the country with concern during this critical time in the transition. We support Libya's successful transition from ruthless dictatorship to democracy, stability and prosperity. This means respecting and supporting state institutions and their democratically elected leaders. Following the adoption by the GNC of the Political Isolation Law, we call on all Libyans to work together to realize the goals of the 17 February revolution and encourage the development of a democratic state that Qadhafi never permitted.

The main website.

libya.usembassy.gov...

Travel warning posted yesterday.

libya.usembassy.gov...

May 09, 2013 The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Libya and strongly advises against all but essential travel to Tripoli and all travel to Benghazi, Bani Walid, and southern Libya, including border areas and the regions of Sabha and Kufra. Because of ongoing instability and violence, the Department’s ability to provide consular services to U.S. citizens in these regions of Libya is extremely limited. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning dated March 11, 2013. In early May, the security situation in Tripoli deteriorated when armed groups seized Libyan government buildings in a dispute over a law regarding officials of the former regime. In response, on May 9, the Department of State ordered the departure of a number of U.S. government personnel in Tripoli. The security situation in Libya remains unpredictable. Sporadic episodes of civil unrest have occurred throughout the country. U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations, as even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens traveling to, or remaining in, Libya should use caution and limit nonessential travel within the country, make their own contingency emergency plans, and maintain security awareness at all times. We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Libya enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

edit on 10-5-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

They do not want another Benghazi for sure.

Units go on alert which means if a go order is given they are the ones going. The units get their act together just incase the order is issued for a rapid deployment.

The old military saying of, "hurry up and wait" comes to mind.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I'm scouring Libyan, namely Tripoli, online news and can't find anything about any trouble. I did read about pro democracy protesters driving out militants, which is a good thing. I also did find articles talking about a French embassy under attack just last month.

None of this is surprising since Libya is infected and infested with militants, aka terrorists. The good news is the Libyan people are fighting the militants.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Two police stations were attacked.

www.dailystar.com.lb...

Members of the Libyan security forces and civilians check one of the two police stations that were attacked on May 10, 2013 in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. Bomb attacks targeted two police stations in Benghazi causing extensive material damage but no casualties, a security official said. AFP PHOTO/ABDULLAH DOMA Read more: www.dailystar.com.lb... (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: www.dailystar.com.lb...)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Unbelievable. Who is running things at the State Department?! Do they EVER bother to update the US Embassy news page?? Apparently...that is also a low priority.

Look at the story, 4th from the top.

United States Embassy, Tripoli Libya - News Page

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I guess the change could be a number of kidnappings taking place.

www.libyaherald.com...

Student abducted outside Foreign Ministry By Hadi Fornaji. Tripoli, 10 May 2013: A student from Tripoli University was abducted outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs this evening, beaten and reportedly held in the Suq Al-Juma district for several hours. His abductors are said to have been militiamen. The man had been taking part in an anti-militia demonstration outside the Ministry when, according to friends, he got into a heated argument with someone, possibly a militiaman, shortly after 10 pm. They say he was beaten, carried to a white Land Cruiser, bundled inside and driven away. The man managed to speak to a reporter at 10.45 pm. In whispered tones, he confirmed his abduction and that he was being held in Suq Al-Juma, before the line went dead. He was released at 12.30 am. He is said to have been savagely beaten, and has injuries to his head and face. He is reported to be very shaken by the ordeal. This evening four other people, including a woman, were seen being forced into cars and driven away.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Eh, they are just over reacting the crowd out side is just a "protest rally"...

Please remove any ammunition and fire arms from the premises, don't need any "work place violence"...

Extra security won't be needed, instead use local indigenous "militia forces", which will be on strike the day of any attacks...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Cynic.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

I wish actually, was more of a satirical sarcasm...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I understood. I snort-laughed.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
reply to post by ADVISOR

I understood. I snort-laughed.

Awesome, little bit more than I or any ATS'er needed to know...none the less my job here is done.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I did read about pro democracy protesters driving out militants, which is a good thing. I also did find articles talking about a French embassy under attack just last month.

Pro democracy protesters driving out militants?
there are no democracy protesters in Libya.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
FINALLY, someone correctly identified the location of the ACTUAL U.S. embassy. I get so sick of hearing Benghazi referred to as an "embassy". Just because some CIA agent (diplomat) stays in a Holiday Inn in Timbuktu; that does not qualify said Holiday Inn as an embassy.

On topic: move the Eff out of Lybia and there won't be problems. They don't want us there. We have no right to be there. Move out and let them all kill each other. PROBLEM SOLVED.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Military on alert for possible evac of embassy in Tripoli

Well, at least that gets the media and the public distracted for a little while. I mean, you know that THIS TIME... whatever happens, it will be handled with SEAL teams, Marines, US Army Special Forces, the US Coast Guard... and prolly a few off duty cops.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

No?

What is your opinion of the Libyan people?

Protestors force out Ministry militiamen

www.libyaherald.com...

Militiamen who have been besieging the Foreign Ministry this evening fled when hundreds of pro-democracy supporters arrived at the building to demonstrate their support for the government.

Around 200 demonstrators had marched from Algeria Square along the Corniche to the Ministry but were quickly joined by others along the way, overwhelming the couple of dozen or so militiamen who were still mounting their siege outside the Ministry buildings.

Earlier in Algeria Square, around 400 anti-militia protesters brought traffic to a halt. Placards read: “With our blood we will defence the legitimacy of the government”, “No to bringing down the government with arms” and “Get rid of the guns in your hands and start building Libya”.

It's not the first time the Libyans have protested the militants and ran them out.

Protesters storm Libyan congress over 'unrepresentative' govt make-up

More than 100 protesters have broken into the Libyan National Congress, disrupting the MPs’ work. The demonstrators are infuriated by the proposed make-up of the country’s new government, saying it is not representative enough.

The demonstrators, who come from the western town of Zawiyah, one of Libya’s oil hubs, traveled 50km from their home to the capital after the prime minister failed to select their nominee as oil minister.

"After we heard the list, everyone in Zawiyah was angry.

Unarmed people power drums Libya's jihadists out of Benghazi

These were the incredible scenes in Benghazi as tens of thousands of ordinary citizens marched on the Islamic extremists in their compounds and drove them out with shouts, placards and sheer courage

I support the people of Libya.

edit on 11-5-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join