It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Dioxide Levels this High Pre-Date Humanity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Hawaii’s Mauna Loa observatory recently measured carbon dioxide (CO2) levels in the air of 398.36 parts per million (ppm).

It’s looking likely that soon, for the first time in human existence, CO2 levels will hit 400 ppm. CO2 is one of the main gasses driving global warming, and the last time levels exceeded 400 ppm was roughly 2-3 million years ago. That’s not just a long time ago.

In human terms it’s essentially “all the time” ago. We’ve simply never lived in a world with CO2 concentrations so high. As Environmental Defense Fund land use and climate scientist Jason Funk explained, 2-3 million years ago:

Carbon Dioxide dangers in parts per Million
Link

Since CO2 is exhaled by people at predictable levels the content of Carbon Dioxide - CO2 - in air may be a significant indication of air quality. A measure of CO2 indicates the amount of fresh air supply: 15 cfm ventilation rate per occupant corresponds to 1000 ppm CO2 20 cfm ventilation rate per occupant corresponds to 800 ppm CO2 Normal CO2 Levels The effects of increased CO2 levels on adults at good health can be summarized: normal outdoor level: 350 - 450 ppm acceptable levels: < 600 ppm complaints of stiffness and odors: 600 - 1000 ppm ASHRAE and OSHA standards: 1000 ppm general drowsiness: 1000 - 2500 ppm adverse health effects expected: 2500 - 5000 ppm maximum allowed concentration within a 8 hour working period: 5000 ppm The levels above are quite normal and maximum levels may occasionally happen from time to time. Extreme and Dangerous CO2 Levels slightly intoxicating, breathing and pulse rate increase, nausea: 30,000 ppm above plus headaches and sight impairment: 50,000 ppm unconscious, further exposure death: 100.000 ppm

A different gas Carbon Monoxide is dangerous in the million parts per ratio too.

Link

The lethal dose of carbon monoxide depends on concentration and duration of exposure. 35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure 100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours 200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours 1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours 3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes. 6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes. 12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2-3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes. Source(s):

To all of you I submit:

If one gas is not being filtered out by the plant life, in sufficient amounts to prevent the current recorded record of (Carbon Dioxide) of 398.36 parts per million, what is to keep the Carbon Monoxide levels in check too?

So where do we start? Planting more trees & plants? Cutting emissions? Carbon Taxes?

Ignoring the cries about how some think global climate change or global warming isn't happening.....

It is obvious and measurable that pollution has had an impact on the planet.

Maybe it is time to ignore the rhetoric and look for a solution.
M.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
correct me if I'm wrong...
Is this observatory not is built on a volcano?

which spews out both CO and CO2?

this is not directed at you OP..
but
I distinktly smell methane

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

The title is quite misleading.

Before oxygen was everywhere, it was relatively no where. In fact, oxygen was a poisonous gas to life on earth.

The Carbon dioxide rich atmosphere was polluted with oxygen.. and we popped up eventually, thanks to it.

So obviously before humanity, carbon dioxide levels were high.

Oo

edit on 10-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

but

A good point, but Mauna Loa is currently dormant, plus they filter out any possible contamination from local volcanic sources.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
From all the poisons we release into the environment, carbon dioxide is the one we have to worry the least about.

If I'd make a list with 100 substances that should be prohibited altogether, carbon dioxide wouldn't even be on that list.

As long as we keep enough of the surface of this planet covered with plantlife, the CO2 won't be a problem, plants love that stuff.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

How does one filter out the co2 from nature but leave the manmade co2 behind?

I am sorry but your comment is absurd.

I guess that is how they can tell exactly how much is caused by man then? They just filter out all the natural co2 before they measure it?

LOL, BWAHAHAHAHA!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Carbon taxes are total B.S.

It's the likes of you and me who are taxed to the hilt, whilst those who are really contributing excessive levels are not effected in any way.

We are told to do our bit to protect the environment, switch off lights etc, but in all honesty, me switching off the light is going to do what? Whilst we are allowing hundreds of coal burning power stations to be built around the world, me switching off a light will impact about 0.000000000001%. Yet I'll be taxed at the standard rate, whilst corporations who contribute 75 - 80 %of emissions will exploit tax loopholes and pay absolutely nothing,

We are ripping the lungs out of the world by cutting down the Brazilian rain forest at a rate that is unsustainable, encouraging under developed areas of the world to become industrialised, whilst all the leaders of the world travel first class on airlines, paid by us!!

It's all part of conditioning in my opinion. Brainwashing. Total control over the way we behave. Do as we say, not as we do.

edit on 10/5/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Here's a thought legislate that anyone who can perform their job teleworking should be encouraged to do so. Less traffic, less CO2 in the atmosphere, fewer office space needed and hydro to run it, less stress.
Win, Win, Win,Win.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Here's an even better idea - reduce the traditional work week down to 4 days instead of 5, so we not only cut down on our commutes, but just place more overall emphasis on spending time with family and less on materialism and consumption - and you could slow global warming by up to 50%:

A worldwide switch to a "more European" work schedule, which includes working fewer hours and more vacation time, could prevent as much as half of the expected global temperature rise by 2100, according to the analysis, which used a 2012 study that found shorter work hours could be associated with lower carbon emissions.

Study: Global Warming Can Be Slowed By Working Less

All those "skeptics" who are against global warming because they're against carbon taxes - ask them how they feel about a 3 day weekend instead

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

I don't think Mauna Loa is exactly dormant, but it's effect on CO2 measurements is minimal and indeed easy to filter out, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see the very obvious up-down-up-down seasonal signal in these graphs.

CO2 measurements are also correlated with other observation sites all over the world, so it's very obvious this increase is legit, and these levels are going up because of our emissions.

This is one of the more desperate memes climate deniers love to cling to, but they'll of course take any rhetorical device they can get that helps derail this conversation.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

but

A good point, but Mauna Loa is currently dormant, plus they filter out any possible contamination from local volcanic sources.

LOL
I call BS on that

Mauna Loa (pron.: /ˌmɔːnə ˈloʊ.ə/ or /ˌmaʊnə ˈloʊ.ə/; Hawaiian: [ˈmɔunə ˈlowə]) is one of five volcanoes that form the Island of Hawaii in the U.S. state of Hawaiʻi in the Pacific Ocean, and the largest on Earth in terms of volume and area covered. It is an active shield volcano

en.wikipedia.org...

It's always "models that show what you want no matter what math is put in" and "filtered data"....
never a direct measurement with you MMGW types.

edit on 10-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Doesn't make the Mauna Loa meme any less useless.

How the signal compares to 3 other sites around the world:

Source

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
reply to post by whatnext21

Here's an even better idea - reduce the traditional work week down to 4 days instead of 5, so we not only cut down on our commutes, but just place more overall emphasis on spending time with family and less on materialism and consumption - and you could slow global warming by up to 50%:

A worldwide switch to a "more European" work schedule, which includes working fewer hours and more vacation time, could prevent as much as half of the expected global temperature rise by 2100, according to the analysis, which used a 2012 study that found shorter work hours could be associated with lower carbon emissions.

Study: Global Warming Can Be Slowed By Working Less

All those "skeptics" who are against global warming because they're against carbon taxes - ask them how they feel about a 3 day weekend instead

Dunno if you have done the math, but in the US by the hourly loss of full time to part time jobs the equivilaent of 600,000 jobs a month are being out sources from the US every month:
investmentwatchblog.com...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Don't forget about the vast amounts of methane that is currently being released into the atmosphere because of the thawing of the permafrost in the Arctic, especially in Siberia. It is known that methane is 20X more potent than Carbon Dioxide, but that is in the long run. In the short term, it is actually 100X more dangerous.

If this methane is not contained in the ground it is game over for humanity. And not way down the road, or at the end of this century. We're taling about a handful of decades.

Our only hope - and this is the truth - is for us as both individuals and as a species to re-evaluate every aspect of our lives and our ways. We must become harmonious with each other and this planet, our home.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It's always "models that show what you want no matter what math is put in" and "filtered data"....
never a direct measurement with you MMGW types.

Hilarious. These are direct measurements. A minute ago you were complaining that the data is tainted by a volcano. Now that it's been pointed out that this (very obvious) outlier data is filtered out, you're complaining about the data being filtered.

Typical denier double standard: find something to bitch about, take molehill, make mountain.

Probably going to change the subject to Al Gore any second now...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I didn't say outsource them, I simply said don't have them, period. Outsourcing should absolutely be stopped/minimized as much as possible for a real global warming solution. It obviously adds on huge emissions because of the extra transport hit.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Don't worry everyone.

According to the Georgia Guidestones the PTB already have a plan to 'fix' this problem.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

Doesn't make the Mauna Loa meme any less useless.

How the signal compares to 3 other sites around the world:

Source

again I call BS
This time on that graph

from the lake Vostok Ice cores TEMPERATURE LEADS CO2!

Do rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations cause increasing global temperatures, or could it be the other way around? This is one of the questions being debated today. Interestingly, CO2 lags an average of about 800 years behind the temperature changes-- confirming that CO2 is not the cause of the temperature increases. One thing is certain-- earth's climate has been warming and cooling on it's own for at least the last 400,000 years, as the data below show. At year 18,000 and counting in our current interglacial vacation from the Ice Age, we may be due-- some say overdue-- for return to another icehouse climate!

www.geocraft.com...

the fluctuations: ( well not man made AS THIS SHOWS)
Answer:

CO2 levels fluctuate on an annual basis because the majority of the earth's land mass, where plants are present to absorb C02 during photosynthesis, is in the northern hemisphere. When it is summer in the northern hemisphere, the increase in overall photosynthetic activity causes a drop in atmospheric CO2 concentrations. However, when it is summer in the southern hemisphere, there is less net photosynthetic activity on earth, so the atmospheric CO2 level spikes
wiki.answers.com...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

It's amusing to me how much your "BS detector" apparently keeps going off, yet how much you just keep regurgitating really well known and long ago debunked climate denier BS to justify it.

The CO2 lags temp thing is one of the most notorious memes there is.

It's only an issue to people who either can't, or simply refuse to, understand how carbon-climate feedbacks work. This lag/relationship in the historical record was predicted by climate scientists. I've explained the whole thing on ATS numerous times before - like here.

In that post I've provided links to the original papers and raw data confirming all of it, and since then newer research has come out showing the whole process in full resolution - confirming that many natural cycles of the past were driven by changes in the Earth's orbit and axial tilt, which changed the amount of sunlight it received at the poles, which released frozen methane and CO2 into the atmosphere, which then changed GLOBAL temperatures.

You can ignore it all you want because maybe it's too complicated, or too "grey" for people like you who expect everything to be so black and white - but the raw data is all there. The predictions are all there. It all adds up.

So go ahead and keep denying it with your supposed BS detector. But the reality is your BS detector is completely broken because it's tuned to a bunch of Oil-company propaganda that's selling you easy-to-swallow, but completely backwards answers that have you pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Don't believe me?

Just look at what a silly argument they've got you making now. You're basically trying to say that it's temperature that's leading CO2 again.

OK then lol:

...and PS I never said the seasonal signals are man made - that's why they're "seasonal" - because they come from the biosphere. The steady resolution they create within the trend however is proof that the data isn't being tainted by random volcanic fluctuations. Try to spend more time paying attention to detail instead of just trying to one-up me on everything and maybe we might get somewhere.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

mc - you are my favorite person on this site! always great information that is FACTUAL and well stated. thank you again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join