It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
When it became clear last fall that the CIA’s now discredited Benghazi talking points were flawed, the White House said repeatedly the documents were put together almost entirely by the intelligence community, but White House documents reviewed by Congress suggest a different story.
ABC News has obtained 12 different versions of the talking points that show they were extensively edited as they evolved from the drafts first written entirely by the CIA to the final version distributed to Congres
Friday, September 14th 2012, 11:15 a.m.
• We believe based on currently available information that the attacks in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the U.S. Consulate and subsequently its annex.
• The crowd almost certainly was a mix of individuals from across many sectors of Libyan society. That being said, we do know that Islamic extremists with ties to al-Qa'ida participated in the attack.
• Initial press reporting linked the attack to Ansar al-Sharia. The group has since released a statement that its leadership did not order the attacks, but did not deny that some of its members were involved. Ansar al-Sharia's Facebook page aims to spread Sharia in Libya and emphasizes the need for jihad to counter what it views as false interpretations of Islam, according to an open source study.
• The wide availability of weapons and experienced fighters in Libya almost certainly contribute to the lethality of the attacks.
• Since April, there have been at least five other attacks against foreign interests in Benghazi by unidentified assailants, including the June attack against the British Ambassador's convoy. We cannot rule out the individuals has previously surveilled the U.S. facilities, also contributing to the efficacy of the attacks.
• We are working w/ Libyan authorities and intelligence partners in an effort to help bring to justice those responsible for the deaths of U.S. citizens.
Saturday, September 15th
• The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were
spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a
direct assault against the U.S. diplomatic post Consulate and subsequently its annex.
There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations.
• This assessment may change as additional information is collected and analyzed and
currently available information continues to be evaluated.
• The investigation is ongoing, md the U.S. Government is working w/ Libyan authorities
to help bring to justice those responsible for the deaths of U.S. citizens.
We Only Made One Change to the Benghazi Talking Points Memo
The only edit made by the White House or the State Department to those talking points generated by the CIA was a change from was referring to the facility that was attacked in Benghazi from “consulate” to “diplomatic post.”
Originally posted by TDawg61
The administration stepped in it again.Big time.How are they going to explain OR ignore this news.More"transparency"at work,right?
Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by beezzer
Don't you wonder if the guy hasn't taken all the mirrors out of his house so he doesn't have to look into the eyes of a spineless megaphone every morning? Or if he even gets to sleep?
Regardless, I wonder how much this will boost Rice; she will not only spout puffery for her boss, she will embellish it just by being asked. Or did she throw in "the video" all by herself?
And, I don't know if you've noticed the repsonse by the MSM.
Here, let me quote some for you: ... .
And this: ... .
I did hear NPR on "All Things Considered" make a 10-second reference to "some minor changes" in "talking points." Then they sequed into the vastly more important issue of same-sex lovers and immigration as seen by the "gang of eight."
Originally posted by 727Sky
If damage control does not start to do a better job there goes Hilary's bid for being the first female president.....
Should there be an investigation? Yes. Let's find out what happened, learn from it and move on. But I don't see anything (yet) that would even suggest that this administration did anything illegal.
Originally posted by jdub297
You're exactly the material CNN/MSNBC is lookinf for. tou should forward this with your resume'.
OK. So when "whistleblowers" say they've been threatened or prevented from testifying, how does this help "find out what happened?"
... since you regard Clinton as immaculate and inviolate?