It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Women Really this Shallow?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Just as "shallow" as men who wouldn't pay attention to a girl holding a book.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well, I guess both men and women can be attracted by things some would consider "swallow", I'm not sure it's really that simple.....attraction is subjective, and varies widely......lol, my sister sent me the funniest card which was a picture of a long haired guy with a guitar strapped on his back and the inside said, "Stay away from this loser, he'a all mine ! "

Our Father is a musician and singer and he always would say to my sister and I "stay away from musicians"...and the fact is it's not an easy path if your a working musician, LOTS of practice, which no matter how much you love music, can get really annoying ! Strange hours, being on the road, and LOTS of temptations. My Dad is very loving and charismatic, but he wasn't a good husband to our Mom.

The interesting thing is, although my sister and I are very close in age, and look a lot alike, we have completely different taste in men. I tend to be attracted to more assertive men and she seems to be drawn toward more passive men. My first Love was a drummer, and a dear friend to this day. My current Love is a guitar player, and very much an Alpha type man. My sister is married to a loan officer who is very mild mannered...so who knows?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
Well, I guess both men and women can be attracted by things some would consider "swallow", I'm not sure it's really that simple.....attraction is subjective, and varies widely......lol, my sister sent me the funniest card which was a picture of a long haired guy with a guitar strapped on his back and the inside said, "Stay away from this loser, he'a all mine ! "

Our Father is a musician and singer and he always would say to my sister and I "stay away from musicians"...and the fact is it's not an easy path if your a working musician, LOTS of practice, which no matter how much you love music, can get really annoying ! Strange hours, being on the road, and LOTS of temptations. My Dad is very loving and charismatic, but he wasn't a good husband to our Mom.

The interesting thing is, although my sister and I are very close in age, and look a lot alike, we have completely different taste in men. I tend to be attracted to more assertive men and she seems to be drawn toward more passive men. My first Love was a drummer, and a dear friend to this day. My current Love is a guitar player, and very much an Alpha type man. My sister is married to a loan officer who is very mild mannered...so who knows?

True! You never will know what you are attracted to!

I love musicians, poets and artists. I come from a very creative family, with lots of artists. I eventually married someone who is into computer IT...How did I get wooed? He sang to me at the karaoke bar with an amazing voice.....15 years and 2 kids later, we are still married....

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I don't know, I've gotten a lot of offers from middle age college professors when I would read Chomsky or Zizek in public. I get a lot of offers when I read Dune too surprisingly enough. I can't even practice my singing at the rec center on post without attracting a crowd of age 20 something men staring through the tiny glass window in the door
. Apparently Opera does it every time, I'm nowhere near good looking too.

Either way, the whole subject is kind of dumb. How many men are chasing women just because they are "Hot". I don't think men have much room to talk.

edit on 11-5-2013 by antonia because: opps

I get the reasoning, but the simple fact is that he was wrong. It's easy to judge based on one's own experiences, but most of the musicians I have met aren't like that at all. Heck, technically speaking I'm a musician too (even though i don't call myself one) and I'm not doing everything that walks. There are people in IT who get more butt than many of the musicians I know. Promiscuity is a function of personality not one's job.
edit on 11-5-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

edit on 11-5-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Option C-ask him if he's daft in the head,to assume i'd give out my phone number to a complete stranger.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
How is it shallow to prefer a quality? It's a preference.

Some women like the bad boy, some like the musician, some like the sensitive guy.

If a chick only likes a guy because he is in a band then yea I could see where you think it's shallow.
I personally like musicians and have dated a few. I can related to them in many ways esp with music. I dated a bass player/singer for almost 5yrs, he was the sweetest most sensitive guy I ever dated. He to this day has never said one negative or derogatory thing to me. He was my first love too and first real relationship. He would sing songs to me and write music for me. I liked that he could be open and express his feelings. He was a good guy and I am very thankful to him for what i learned in that relationship.

I have dated the "bad boy" as well, they are fun but trouble. I don't really have a type tbh, it's usually personality I click with so it doesn't really matter what you do. I do like a guy with a sense of humor and I like one who can be sensitive and intelligent.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Oldies dont count. They'll take whatever they can get
I myself into nerdy, smart and talented girls. Reading is a must. As a former musician I gotta say girls are suckers for guys in bands, even if they suck.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Yea, but I think the main reason is they are showing off a skill. It takes a certain amount of confidence to get on that stage and do it no matter how hard you suck. Confidence is sexy to women.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Thats why they love me.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

Well, I'm A big reader and an ameteur author as well, so a girl with a book is kind of like a holy grail for me, assuming of course said girl actually reads said book.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
How is it shallow to prefer a quality? It's a preference.

Some women like the bad boy, some like the musician, some like the sensitive guy.

If a chick only likes a guy because he is in a band then yea I could see where you think it's shallow.
I personally like musicians and have dated a few. I can related to them in many ways esp with music. I dated a bass player/singer for almost 5yrs, he was the sweetest most sensitive guy I ever dated. He to this day has never said one negative or derogatory thing to me. He was my first love too and first real relationship. He would sing songs to me and write music for me. I liked that he could be open and express his feelings. He was a good guy and I am very thankful to him for what i learned in that relationship.

I have dated the "bad boy" as well, they are fun but trouble. I don't really have a type tbh, it's usually personality I click with so it doesn't really matter what you do. I do like a guy with a sense of humor and I like one who can be sensitive and intelligent.

I thought that it seemed shallow according to the study due to the fact that they guy never actually played the guitar and he wasn't even actually holding a guitar per se but rather a guitar case. That's what seemed shallow, Guy could have had anything in that guitar case, from a bushel of bananas to a bushel of dried human heads.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I don't write but I love my nerdy ladies.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
Well, at any rate I hope that this study is actually way off base, I can understand being attracted to someone with a guitar as it seems that is current social convention; but not a sitar, thats different. What about like, a saxaphone or something like that, say a guy is standing on the street jamming out on his sax and asks you for his number? Is that close?

Also, why is social convention for females to be attracted to the 'Bad Boys' I mean, if it were me I would want to go with someone with an edge and a compatible personality but as we all know most rock stars are actually drug addled alcoholics (for the most part and I am being presumptious) but in todays economy you would think that (common sense) most people on the dating market would want someone with some modicum of economic stability especially considering our worlds current socio-economic paradigm.

Let me try and help you understand this a bit.

Women like guitars because it is a phallic symbol that makes amazing sound which has been proven to arouse (intended) emotional states in people listening to it.

Women are emotional creatures and usually attracted to males. Now when a male is playing such a phallic instrument and tugging (again) at emotional centers of the females brain it can only be internalized, and I am sure Freud would agree, as ' That guys 'Symphonic-D' is making me excited' which would indicate attraction and thus her digits.

This is more like when a man sees a woman sucking (oh yes I did!) a Popsicle .

You may be thinking a few things; Oh look girl with a delicious treat, wonder what flavor it is? It must be good just look at her go, LoL it looks like a phallus, and finally ending with . . . bet she would like to try my creamsicle

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Wow fellas in this thread need to realize men and women live in two totally different perceptions of reality.

For women, emotion, and the passions associated with it are very important, internal focus so to speak. Some guys may call that shallow but those are key attributes of the greats of humanity. Mozart had his music, Einstein had physics, etc and all their success was a result of dedication which requires passion and the emotional investment to make all the work worth it.

Now these attributes of the artsy folk tend to make them unstable and burn themselves out. Studies have shown much greater percentages of serious mental illness among this population, hence the need for women to want bad boys if only to give the rare prodigy a chance at passing his genes on.

Men are more involved with externally affecting their environment and so we are attracted to more physical stimuli.

Now the question I really want answered is why do I only EVER hear women, when talking with their peers, complain about a guy not doing enough, he should take you out more, he should do this or that, he shoulda woulda coulda . . .

I literally cannot remember ever hearing a women mention what she does for her man.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Play them Blackbird and they melt like budda.
Cag,thanks for reminding me to start carrying my geetar around with me.
I owe you a hail eris.

Hail Eris!!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

edit on 21-4-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

B because I'm attracted to scientists and professors more than musicians tbh
And yes certain women can be that shallow xP

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Don't like guitar...I hate those people ask numbers on street (they are advertisers usually ) and people who easy to give their numbers.

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I thought that it seemed shallow according to the study due to the fact that they guy never actually played the guitar and he wasn't even actually holding a guitar per se but rather a guitar case. That's what seemed shallow, Guy could have had anything in that guitar case, from a bushel of bananas to a bushel of dried human heads.

Because they are very obviously dumb for attracted by the case.Happy now?
edit on 24-4-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Depends...

Are we talking Banderas from Desperado entering a room? Then of course

Otherwise, not so much. In fact my ex played the guitar but I lost interest in his guitar skills when he wanted to "jam" with all of his pals in my apartment.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join