It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Self Awareness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I have been thinking, and i have come to the conclusion that an evolution of mankind could occur if we chose to focus on total self awareness... i.e. to be able to totally eliminate all that is un/sub concious and instinctual and actually be aware of our actions and reactions.

I see subconcious as THE major flaw / disfunction of the human mind and this is never adressed. Most people follow a path in life based on experiences and lessons learned that we cannot even remember and perhaps were not even ever aware of.

We ALL do things that we cannot explain; some more than others, of course.
The phrase "I dont know, I just do," to me is the obvious barrier that must be overcome if we are ever going to be wise enough to transcend this hell that we are so afraid to leave.

Fear is the prime motivation of most actions, in my observances. It is truly the root of alll evil.
not money.
MONEY is a tool of GREED which is an instinct which counterbalances the FEAR
of POWERLESSNESS. Fear is the source. It is our defining characteristic, one could argue.

Forgive me if this all has been adressed already, as I really would like to get contrasting or supporting views, especially ones i have not already considered.

I believe it is achievable, and I seek the catlyst which will bring me my ambition.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
by the way, natural instincts are a much more complicated subject for me, as i am no scientist and i do not know much of anything regarding the mind ability to be aware of primal and genetic dispositions.

Science guys, please enlighten me if this topic interests you.

Im new so thankyou in advance for your time.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
youve made a mountain of a mole hill my friend; dont you just love philosophy :p

a simple matter of mastering your self awareness, which is the most important tool in developing a strong character. that is knowing what you are doing at all times, and they out come of your actions. if you do something bad but know the consquences that will come out of it, then your self awareness is maintained you only choose to follow that corrupt path for alternate reasons(personal gain?). we always know what we are doing, insticnt forces descision upon us at times. like when you raise your fist at your dog and the dog cringes because he knows he is about to get smacked, an instinct based on experience.

what would be best? deny instinct? this seems like something hard to do but in actuallity it is not. test the waters of uncertainty and you respect fate, god might reward you
understand yourself, and you will find the trial of descion is cyrstal clear. forging the proper direction is the hard part.

then after all is done, intelegence and knowlegde of the world finally comes into play, this is the part i struggle with lol

[edit on 6-11-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
good points sturod84.

i live in norcal as well,
i would like to find groups that are interested in theses things.
any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I have been thinking, and i have come to the conclusion that an evolution of mankind could occur if we chose to focus on total self awareness... i.e. to be able to totally eliminate all that is un/sub concious and instinctual and actually be aware of our actions and reactions.

I can clearly see that you have no clue what unconscious really means. Read Freud and Jung for god's sake.

I see subconcious as THE major flaw / disfunction of the human mind and this is never adressed. Most people follow a path in life based on experiences and lessons learned that we cannot even remember and perhaps were not even ever aware of.

You got that right, we do follow life path based on experiences and previously learned lessons. It is called classic and operant conditioning, i.e. behaviorism. We can't stop that, it is an in built thing.

We ALL do things that we cannot explain; some more than others, of course.
The phrase "I dont know, I just do," to me is the obvious barrier that must be overcome if we are ever going to be wise enough to transcend this hell that we are so afraid to leave.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Fear is the prime motivation of most actions, in my observances. It is truly the root of alll evil.
not money.
MONEY is a tool of GREED which is an instinct which counterbalances the FEAR
of POWERLESSNESS. Fear is the source. It is our defining characteristic, one could argue.

So we should eliminate FEAR?

No offense, but totally you are just typing the first thing that is coming to your mind without any proof or anything. Please google before you get labelled as something you don't want to be. No offense buddy.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

i would like to find groups that are interested in theses things.

jezuz if i could find some people with an aching for some light hearted intelegent discussion of the world i might not be on ATS 23 hours a day, but seriously the only people i meet are junkies, nerds, and broken english imigrants lol

LONG LIVE ATS

surfup do us a favor and rather then criticize with our any contribution, try adding a little something to the discussion, ok?! try respect others opinions and dont be so damn judgmental!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
surfup do us a favor and rather then criticize with our any contribution, try adding a little something to the discussion, ok?! try respect others opinions and dont be so damn judgmental

I would have added a little something, if there was a place where I could put that little something. It seems to me that the author of the thread has no clue what he is talking about. I am not blaming it on him, there is no way everyone can learn everything, I am just asking him to find a little on the topic, all it take is a little google, and then come to discuss it, instead of just typing in the obvious.

If I wasn't respecting his opinion, I would have just shut-up and gone away or responsed with something that would have brought me warning from the overlords, both of that cases didn't happen, because I respected his opinion.

I would be glad to add a little something if you want it, still.

Surf

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
ok...
thanks again sturod,, i would love to discuss this more, right after i adress surrfup the unmerciful.

umm...

surfup....
i thought my phrasing would be humble enough that condescending posts from those who bask in the glow of their education would perhaps not attack me for not being as literate as them. silly me! you...um... told me i cleary didnt understand subconcious, but instead lead me to consult the works of others. Fair enough, and i hope to find the time, however, if i cleary stated my ignorance, what was the benefit of making fun of me?
WHAT WAS CONSTRUCTIVE IN YOUR TONE? Why was it necessary?

If you are as wise as i must assume you are, where is the understanding of those not as educated as you, asking the same questions you must have asked yourself?

You show a lack of wisdom to strike down my request to be enlightened, and that shows me something very interesting.

what would freud say, if he read this thread, so far as to the psche's of me and you.

right, right...

if i dont have a clue...
but i am calling out to strangers to give me guidance in my thoughts.....
and the response i get is hostile....
than f*ck you...
...why did you chang your tone when a board vet stated something so obvious...
do i have a clear understanding that you compensate for your shortcomings by slamming newbies on the f*ing internet?

cause you arent trying to help me...
you just are trying to humilliate for lack of education in a discussion regarding stuff that is maybe not abstract thought, but at least im not saying, blanket religious doctrine or claiming my absoulte arrogance!

[edit on 11/7/2004 by theBLESSINGofVISION]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION
surfup....
i thought my phrasing would be humble enough that condescending posts from those who bask in the glow of their education would perhaps not attack me for not being as literate as them. silly me! you...um... told me i cleary didnt understand subconcious, but instead lead me to consult the works of others. Fair enough, and i hope to find the time, however, if i cleary stated my ignorance, what was the benefit of making fun of me?
WHAT WAS CONSTRUCTIVE IN YOUR TONE? Why was it necessary?

Can't you differentiate between giving you a piece of advice and making fun of you?

Originally posted by Surfup
I am just asking him to find a little on the topic, all it take is a little google, and then come to discuss it, instead of just typing in the obvious.

Don't tell me the above is making fun of you.

If you are as wise as i must assume you are, where is the understanding of those not as educated as you, asking the same questions you must have asked yourself?

True, I have asked the same questions, in fact I still am. My point is that you have no basic clue as to what conscious is. So I am asking you to get a basic understanding of it and then come discuss it.

You show a lack of wisdom to strike down my request to be enlightened, and that shows me something very interesting.

I am happy I gave you something interesting to look at, even though I have no clue what that is.

what would freud say, if he read this thread, so far as to the psche's of me and you.

The above clearly shows me something. Freud was more into dreams than anything and Jung was more into the type of psyche you are talking about.

if i dont have a clue...
but i am calling out to strangers to give me guidance in my thoughts.....
and the response i get is hostile....

Again, I am not making fun of you or getting hostile.

"f*ck you"

If what I said is hostlie, what in the hell is this?

...why did you chang your tone when a board vet stated something so obvious...

When in the world did I change my tone?

do i have a clear understanding that you compensate for your shortcomings by slamming newbies on the f*ing internet?

*shakes head* Let me get his straight you are blaming me for giving you a peice of advice to get a little informed.

cause you arent trying to help me...

I can only help you if you let me help you.

you just are trying to humilliate for lack of education in a discussion regarding stuff that is maybe not abstract thought, but at least im not saying, blanket religious doctrine or claiming my absoulte arrogance!

Sorry if my posting even barely resembled something of humiliating as to your lack of education.

I think I have made myself clear, if you and your so called board vet, still think I am being hostile, then let God or whoever you believe in help you, because no one else is going to.

Surf

[edit on 11/7/2004 by surfup]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
fair enough surfup.

i must find my own knowledge.

i at least respect the "tough love" to show me to study the basics before i go on as my lack of understanding puts a barrier between the spirit of my words and my words themselves.

in this you have led me to this understanding and for that i am truly grateful. i take back what i have said, because i understand what you say.

i would say more but i am proud to admit i have learned something------- so pride can accept its mistakes and not defend itself here.

but if you can offer guidance...

any of you....

im eager to learn which of my questions history has already gone over!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

i must find my own knowledge.

Not neccesarily. Most of the times, there should be some input from you.

in this you have led me to this understanding and for that i am truly grateful. i take back what i have said, because i understand what you say.

No problem.

but if you can offer guidance...
im eager to learn which of my questions history has already gone over!

You bet we can. As far as I can see, yours is the only one that touches consciousness.

I think you mean sub-conscious in your original post and not unconscious. Maybe you don't. Could you clear that up?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Here is my feedback assuming that you meant sub-conscious mind.

Subconscious mind by definition is "Psychic activity just below the level of awareness."

It does the work of things we don't have control over, blood circulations, heart workings and also remembers our previous experiences.

In other words it does all the work to keep you safe and alive.

If as you said we do somehow eliminate subconsciouness, we are in big trouble.

Consciousness mind is a parallel processor, meaning it does things one at a time and sub-conscious is a other thing, name evades me, it does all the things at the same time.

And not only that consciouness mind also does selective attention, meaning it can concentrate on one thing, while totally forgetting on the other. If unconscious mind does that, we could get so absorbed into heart beating that we could forget to do other things, you know what that means.

Scientists are still working to uncover all the mysteries of the mind.

It is a for a reason our conscious and subconscious is seperated.

Surf

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i understand...

they work in harmony, and to try and impose some sort of mindstate where the conscious tries to do the job of - or - hold dominion over the subconscious, it would be fallacy. they are divided for a reason because they specificallly have different functions. i dont have the time to regulate all my body's physical functions.

i dont understand "psychic activity", i have been conditioned to associate psychic activity with paranormal connotations. but i think its just the semantics

what aspect of our levels of consciousness determine the way we manifest things like childhood trauma?

i wonder this because i wonder if there is a way to be aware of how it affects us in what we do.

it makes sense to me that if this could be done, personal exercises could remedy personal barriers we have to understanding ourselves.

all of this is predicated on my belief -- no -- my wish that truly the extent of the human mind is virtually limitless.

if it is not limitless, than i will accept this but i prefer naiive optimism on the potential of mankind. this is compensation for the grave reality of mankinds present mindstate, in general, which makes me doubt our nature.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
the more we supress child hood traumasand misfortunes, the more we deny self awareness. confronting your demons is the best way to be true to yourself, and live a truthful life of exceptance. we are limitless and to think the only path is naive optimism is well naive. thats a big problem we have right now, we all have to work towards seperate goals in life to create a selfish world prosperity, while accomplishing mundane deeds to make ourselves feel "good" when really the most rewarding asspects come from sharing that prosperity with others. we are by no means perfect, so expressing doubt in your fellow man is the most healthy thing you can be doing. IMO

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

i dont understand "psychic activity", i have been conditioned to associate psychic activity with paranormal connotations. but i think its just the semantics

I think they meant psychic referring to the brain not paranormal.

what aspect of our levels of consciousness determine the way we manifest things like childhood trauma?

I am not sure which trauma you are referring to? Do you mean association? For example, you get sick after eating say chocalates, even though you didn't get sick because of chocolates, you associate that with chocolate? You mean that? That is called classical conditioning.

i wonder this because i wonder if there is a way to be aware of how it affects us in what we do.

If you ask me, the toughest thing to do is to evaluate ourself.

it makes sense to me that if this could be done, personal exercises could remedy personal barriers we have to understanding ourselves.[/
quote]

I don't know if there are something like that...yet.

all of this is predicated on my belief -- no -- my wish that truly the extent of the human mind is virtually limitless.

Well in a way we have unlimited ability. Meaning we do thing we don't even know we are doing so easily, like seeing a flower, its color, its composition, its movement and all the other aspects of it at the same time. It is truly remarkable we do it, without even knowing it.

if it is not limitless, than i will accept this but i prefer naiive optimism on the potential of mankind. this is compensation for the grave reality of mankinds present mindstate, in general, which makes me doubt our nature.

It all depends on how you think. At least you are doubting things, which is the first thing to do.

Surf

new topics

top topics

join