It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What device do I need to play music thru my car via my phone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have an LG Motion 4G phone via MetroPCS. I'd like to play Spotify via my speakers in my car since the actual radio sucks.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. I dont think it has Blue Tooth in it but it has these AV type plugs. I tried to google it but I am so not good with this tech stuff so I thought I'd ask the geniuses techies on ATS

Thanks

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I use a car kit in my Dodge truck. Its just a cassette tape with a wire that comes out and plugs into your headphone jack.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

What kind of plugs are they? Usb? Standard headphone jack? stereo input?

There are tons of adapters you can use, and some newer cars only require a a single wire adapter to play, while other literally cannot be hooked up.

If you can take a picture of the stereo, I can probably tell you what you need.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I use a fm radio transmitter, easy to plug and use. Around 60 bucks in RadioShack. There are cheaper too, but the audio quality sucks. The one I got, let me use the car speakers when I call someone too.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If you really have the RCA white and red plugs you can use this

It's an audio Y splitter.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Iv'e been there a royal pain in the ass trying to find the right kit. I usually do things on the cheap but after getting fed up looking i forked out a little over £150 (no idea what the current exchange rate is). and got a PARROT MKI9200 BLUETOOTH CAR HANDSFREE KIT (V2.02).

Its wired into your car behind your current stereo system and wirelessly answers calls, reads texts, automated phone book and voice recognition.

It's got a 2.5mm (3.5 sorry) jack/iphone/mp3 usb ports for all media types and comes with a wireless track changer and call answer/hangup function. It's serving me well but is a little pricey. Haven't got i washing the dishes yet! I'd recommend it although you will notice a very slight degradation in the quality of your sound system.

In your case you'd plug your LG into the system with the 2.5mm jack via a double ended cable.

Check with your local electronics dealership to see if your car would be compatible.

**Should mention you need bluetooth for the phone function though!! I suspect the LG motion has it. you could use the bluetooth to send spotify to the system, it would play it automatically**
edit on 10-5-2013 by MongusePro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

3.5mm audio cable. Male on both ends. One end goes in the headphone jack on your phone, the other end should plug into the auxiliary input jack in your car.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Fm transmitter, it plugs into the power socket/cigarette socket and then into your phone. You tune the radio to an unused station, and set your transmitter to that frequency.

This is what i used, i only paid about £15 for one, and it worked fine...same sound quality as the radio.
edit on 10-5-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

What kind of plugs are they? Usb? Standard headphone jack? stereo input?

There are tons of adapters you can use, and some newer cars only require a a single wire adapter to play, while other literally cannot be hooked up.

If you can take a picture of the stereo, I can probably tell you what you need.

Ok I went and took a picture.

There is another one but it looks just like this one and has a picture of a key and cigarette on it. I assume that one is the cigarette lighter.

Those are the only two plugs. The other i thought was a plug isn't a plug lol.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
I use a fm radio transmitter, easy to plug and use. Around 60 bucks in RadioShack. There are cheaper too, but the audio quality sucks. The one I got, let me use the car speakers when I call someone too.

I had to Google that lol This is what my friend used in her car and it played thru her car speakers. She had 90s Oldsmobile and it worked just fine. I just had no idea what it was called.

Thanks!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImTheGreatest
I use a car kit in my Dodge truck. Its just a cassette tape with a wire that comes out and plugs into your headphone jack.

No tape deck in this car.

I used one of these in my Neon yrs ago!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fifaboy
If you really have the RCA white and red plugs you can use this

It's an audio Y splitter.

I don't have plugs that look anything like that but my Mustang does because the CD player is not stock it's an Aiwa. It's actually a nice CD player it just needs rewiring.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

I think I know what device you are talking about. My ex had something like this installed in his Audi years ago for his iPod.

I had to check my phone and it does have Bluetooth. I've never ever used it lol

I will look into this device as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have ideas now!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Is the auxilary jack the one I posted a pic of below?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I checked out the pecs of your car and looked at the pic. I suspect you don't have any aux/audio jack input in the car nor tape player so really, playing with the cars hardware is your only option.

I'd check around forums about your car though. If you want to do it on the cheap you might be able to get a garage to connect your speakers to a aux box thingy (technical i know!). And then you can plug you lg into that.

At the end of the day it all depend on your budget. you could make it work for a few £ or you could go high end. I went high end as having bluetooth.aux/mp3/iphone/handsfree etc all in one, increases the value of your car. Just a thought

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

I've talked with my fiancee about it in the past and if we have to pay a little to get it done it's not a problem. I wouldn't mind the bluetooth handsfree stuff.

I know where we are moving to in August has a Best Buy. I will be there next week. I think I'll stop by there and see what they can do.

Thanks alot for your help!! I know now what i can't do at least and what my options are.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What you want to get is a FM Transmitter.... mine plugs into the headphone jack of phone and is powered by cig lighter jack, and is usually 20 to 40 bucks

It may have some static sounds you mostly hear when in between songs(like radios usually have) but when its blasting you will barely notice...

Shop FM Transmitters for your phone

You can even use it for hands free talk (just remember to turn down the volume
edit on 10-5-2013 by FORMe2p00p0n because: there was still a piece of poo I needed to wipe off

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I just use the tape deck adapter but yeah, an FM broadcaster will work too. I use it to play audio books during my commutes. Much better than radio anyhow. For CDs, I have a changer under the rear bench seat of the truck.

I do plan on just getting a new radio though, that can play MPs, will be easier and more convenient.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Yup, as someone said before, you dont have a whole lot of options. Looking at that picture, there is no place to plug a standard jack, so you're kind of out of lack (lacking the tape player, which you said you are).

You can go and get all the different transmitters, but the truth is, so long as you arent trying to run a high powered stereo system off of it in your car, you can get a decent deck for around $100-$150 installed, and almost all new decks will have a port for a standard jack, which you can get online for around $5.

I personally like going this route better than the transmitters, because it leaves the 12v port (cigarette lighter) free to then plug in and charge your phone while playing, which you will most definitely want to do.
edit on 10-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You know phones have gotten too advanced when people can't even tell what does what on them. I'm the same way. Blue Tooth? I just got used to WiFi, what the heck is a blue tooth? My teeth aren't blue. Are yours? What's WiFi direct? How can something wireless be direct? And what's a power dock? My phone's not a ship. If it's a dock, where do I moor it? And what's a freemium game? Something can't be both free and premium.

I miss my landline.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join