It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onward Christian soldiers - Divided States of America

page: 1

join
share:
SMR

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Onward Christian soldiers

The hopefuls in the Democrat camp really believed victory in the US election was within their grasp. How did they get it so wrong? They failed to appreciate, says Simon Schama, that their country is now in fact two nations that loathe and fear each other - Godly and Worldly America

Friday November 5, 2004
The Guardian

In the wee small hours of November 3 2004, a new country appeared on the map of the modern world: the DSA, the Divided States of America. Oh yes, I know, the obligatory pieties about "healing" have begun; not least from the lips of the noble Loser. This is music to the ears of the Victor of course, who wants nothing better than for us all to Come Together, a position otherwise known as unconditional surrender. Please, fellow curmudgeons and last ditchers, can someone on the losing side just for once not roll over and fall into a warm bath of patriotic platitudes at such moments, but toot the flute of battle instead; yell and holler and snarl just a wee bit? I don't want to heal the wound, I want to scratch the damned thing until it hurts and bleeds - and then maybe we'll have what it takes to get up from the mat. Do we think the far-right Republican candidate Barry Goldwater, in the ashy dawn of his annihilation in 1964, wanted to share? Don't think so. He wanted to win; sometime. And now, by God, he has.

Interesting read.
Worldly America is pragmatic, practical, rational and sceptical. In California it passed Proposition 71, funding embryonic stem cell research beyond the restrictions imposed by Bush's federal policy.

Godly America is mythic, messianic, conversionary, given to acts of public witness, hence the need - in Utah and Montana and a handful of other states - to poll the voters on amendments to their state constitution defining marriage as a union between the opposite sexes. But then Worldly America is said to feed the carnal vanities; Godly America banishes and punishes them.

Dividing state and religion?
Read More Here...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
First, this isn't anything new. This is most likely a product of the media.

This is a primarily Christian country and always has been. How long has abortion been an issue? What about the whole evolution in schools issue that lasted for decades? Gay marriage isn't a new issue either. It's ALWAYS been an unwritten rule that the President must be a straight, married, Christian male. Doesn't that sound a but theologically based?

The only thing that's any different is the portion of the population who wants to change those aspects of America. Trust me, I grew up in the "bible belt" which is properly named. Nothing new here. This entire issue is being blown way out of proportion IMHO. It's almost as if the media (and possibly other nations) want this division amongst the American people, so they exaggerate the issue.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well then...let the Jihad continue.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by cstyle226
Well then...let the Jihad continue.

I'm not sure exactly how that was intended, but it made me laugh either way. So melodramatic lol.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The focus for Christians should be on the people of the world, not waving flags or trying to control a nation. Empires will come and go, we will all meet our end someday, so to be Hell-bent (pun intended) on rooking the political system is a waste of time and energy. Christians please, help people, not governments. Have a voice, but don't shout at the bureaucracy.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This nation, as stated was founded to be a Christian nation, saint4god. Our culture, our ethics, mores and taboos are based on that faith. When Christians are doing their job at participating in controlling this nation's direction, they are shouting at nothing. Part of helping the people you are talking about helping is doing our part in preserving the culture that is conducive to helping them.

We are not like Lott, who, against good advice, went into unfriendly lands. We settled, with his family in a community that was full of people with hardened hearts, pursuing their carnal desires. Do you remember how many he was able to bring out with him? Even his wife looked back. A lot of good he did; we do not need to lose our own nation, we do not need to loose our taste, as salt that looses its taste cannot regain it.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm just hoping Christians don't lose themselves in the politics and forget their neighbors. Case in point this election, where I know a lot of division occurred because our neighbor did not support our man. Lots of name calling, lost patience, and a disconnect in peace and understanding. Who do I mean as neighbor? Wherever you go, the person next to you is your neighbor...even on the internet.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is exactly what makes a Democracy so great. Of course, a country as large and populated as our USA, will contain great diversities of thought and lifestyle.

In a Democracy the majority rules; I think this is a powerful tool that should not be taken lightly.

Lets not forget about Ancient Rome, Greece, etc. these former world powers fell off the map, do you know what was a big part of them being ancient has-beens?

I think more Americans are starting to see this.

Yes, be that as it may, my religion(morality) does play a part in my decision making. If this makes me a bad man then so be it.

I think more Americans are starting to see this.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

[edit on 5-11-2004 by LostSailor]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Why do you think we have the Electorial College? If a govenor decides that the people of his state votes for the wrong guy he send people to vote his way. Well it was the way our founing father set things up. thank God it is applied this way.In our reppulic.I am a wasp. I grew up in a southern household.I have relatives actively involed in th kkk and nazis. I dont think their way but they are their enviroment. To Me there are only to colors green[millitary service]and yellow[all others]. Minorities have a lot more of avoice here than in some other countries. sometimes its good [egual rights]sometimes its bad[no gay marriages].Everyone makes choicises good and bad.This is our way and allthou we are slow to make changes[slavery] we will eventually make the right choices. Were sometimes a little slow. But we are trying and I think we'll eventually get it right.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
As a Christian, I have choosen to live a certian lifestyle. I will vote for the canidate that best supports my position. Just like any other American that voted, I choose the canidate that I want to serve me in office. Does that make me wrong? Just because I didn't vote for someone that I disagree with, does this make me less of an American? Democracy is wonderful; it allows all people to have their voices heard. I am saddened by the hate and dislike that I hear coming from different people, but you have that right in America to say what you want to say about me. I don't like it, but I respect your right for it.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well funny I told my daugher that if she can not make it as a microbiologist, any where else in the US she can always move to "California" perhaps you may have a point there, let see what happend when the new appoint secular government of bush start to tie the rope around the "in between" and not so religious population in this country.

Just because you visit the church every "sunday" does not makes you a truth believer.

You are just a believer "american way" until somebody push it to much.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
This nation, as stated was founded to be a Christian nation, saint4god. Our culture, our ethics, mores and taboos are based on that faith.

Well actually this nation was not founded ON Christianity, however it was founded by some Christians.

The founding fathers were a polyglot of a little bit of everything. Deists, agnostics, and yes Thomas Crowne, Christians were there too, but by no means were they a large majority.

This is common knowledge. Well, you heard it here first TC.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by coronamoz]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
To understand all that crap you must look from a neutral viuw point. USA is not realy a democratic country, contradictory to what americans are teached to think since kids. First, as someone stated up on the board u need to be a married christian.., to get elected, second you have no rights, the government can arest you just for a suspision(anti-tero crap), and it is a market politics, where real democracy is on second plan.
A person I know was arested fo speaking his mind, against bush.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

USA is not realy a democratic country, contradictory to what americans are teached to think since kids.

Yeah, but there isn't a real democracy on the planet. Aristocrats have ALWAYS run things. Literature stretching throughout all of history has dealt with this fact of life.

First, as someone stated up on the board u need to be a married christian.., to get elected,

Once again, most countries have similar UNWRITTEN rules. People who live within a country that is predominantly one religion or another are usually unwilling to elect a leader that doesn't share this system of beliefs with them. Nothing new... no big deal.

second you have no rights, the government can arest you just for a suspision(anti-tero crap),
A person I know was arested fo speaking his mind, against bush.

I'm sorry but that sounds like a bunch of crap. I don't know where you live, but that's just not happening. Your "friend" had to have done something FAR more threatening or criminal than "speaking his mind, against Bush". I know people who openly HATE Bush and make it very, very clear on an almost daily basis. They haven't threatened or harmed anyone... so they haven't been bothered. That comment is a lie whether it be by blatant deception or by omission. I'm thinking you're probably leaving something out of the story... like a death threat.

new topics

top topics

join