It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone seen anything about the coronavirus in US today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I saw this post on another site that I go to but I can't get any of the links to work. The OP claims coronavirus is in Florida, California and Minnesota. It's not on AmKon or here so has anyone seen anything about it?

www.armageddononline.org...

Could it be true?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Onami

Its possible, Ive always said that it would be a virus that would deplete humanity's numbers.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Onami

All of the links associated with the source are 404?

As seem earlier in the year, but not in the US, etc...

The work suggests bats common to Europe, Russia, parts of Asia and Africa and the Middle East may carry viruses that are very closely related to the new coronavirus, called EMC 2012.

cont...

The SARS coronavirus, a cousin of EMC 2012, evolved from a bat virus that made its way into wild animals — civet cats and raccoon dogs — that are eaten as delicacies in China. "We don't know (yet) what the raccoon dog is for this virus, but there may be one," Drosten said.
New Coronavirus-Like Virus Found In Bats

Those findings may or may not be related?

Looking for current information...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Here's what the know it alls have to say about it

CDC - Q&A

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

50% mortality rate is huge. I really hope it never gets to Britain.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Onami

I don't recall seeing that rate on the CDC web link I provided....

and I would take an ALL CAPS post from

Blu-ray
Bull$hit Artist Contributor

with a grain of salt

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't know what I did there. There was no mortality rate in the link you gave me.

I did see this snippet though in their May updates in their Novel page.

www.cdc.gov...

In all, 33 people in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, the United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates, and France have been confirmed as having an infection caused by the novel coronavirus. Investigations are being done to figure out the source of the novel coronavirus and how it spreads.

How come I never heard of it being in Britain before? I can't see anything on the BBC.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hi all!

Just a quick note to wonder why this novel(new) coronavirus still doesn't have its own thread here on Diseases&Pandemics. I don't have 20 posts yet.

It looks dead serious to me, now that even WHO says the new coronavirus may be passed person to person...

"Of most concern... is the fact that the different clusters seen in multiple countries increasingly support the hypothesis that when there is close contact this novel coronavirus can transmit from person to person," the World Health Organization said on Sunday. "This pattern of person-to-person transmission has remained limited to some small clusters and so far, there is no evidence to suggest the virus has the capacity to sustain generalised transmission in communities," the statement adds.

I am always worried when official statements have words such as "so far"...

The full article is on the BBC site:
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onami
I'm sorry, I don't know what I did there. There was no mortality rate in the link you gave me.

negue's BBC link above quotes this:

Since (September 2012, there have been 33 confirmed cases across Europe and the Middle East, with 18 deaths, according to a recent WHO update.

Maybe you saw something similar to this quote... that would give you a 54.5% death rate of those confirmed cases worldwide. However, the same link says...

The Saudi health ministry said that 15 people had died out of the 24 cases diagnosed since last summer.

72.7% of all confirmed cases have been in Saudi Arabia, of those cases, 62.5% died.
The death rate in other countries from the remaining confirmed 9 cases is 33.3%.

Now apologies if my math is wrong, or if I'm speculating too much, but the higher death rate in Saudi hospitals may be down to lower standards in care and isolation? As I say, purely speculation, and I know nothing about Saudi healthcare standards so may be entirely wrong.

With coronavirus' symptoms first appearing as a cold, I wonder how fast this could spread without proper isolation of those patients already infected. By reading these reports, it quickly becomes apparent how serious this NCoV is, and how quickly it manifests from a simple 'cold/ flu-like virus' into a serious respiratory disease. If this spreads quickly like the reports suggest could happen now human-human transmission is possible, I wonder how quickly that death rate will shoot up, especially in densly populated developing countries. Let's just hope it under wraps now.
edit on 12-5-2013 by LunaStarr because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2013 by LunaStarr because: Changed italic

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LunaStarr

According to the WHO ranking of health systems, in the year 2000 France was on number 1 out of a 191 list of countries. Saudi Arabia was on 26, USA on 38 and my country on 99 (great!).

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So yeah, better medical care could be the reason for fewer casualties in France/Europe.

top topics

join