It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

If you are saying I am a closet racist you read into what I was saying wrong. I will say it again diversity is what makes our country strong.

1st gen to 5th we are all immigrants for the most part. The cold hard truth is they fly the Mexican flag proudly while sending money back to what they consider home. America it seems is nothing more then a host. And when there is nothing more for the host to give they retire back home which is not America.
edit on 11-5-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by SubTruth

Sorry Sub.

I read it wrong.

Will edit......

No problem I have done it a few times myself. It is really bad when you post in the wrong thread. I have done that before and boy was I red faced.

It is sad people think views like this are racist.
Heck..... I want them to become Americans.
Diversity is a really good thing and it makes our country stronger.

I honestly think many Mexicans are just using this country and it's people like a parasite feeding on a host. Is that racist............. It is honest.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
Now if this person is living with people that speak Spanish do you not think it may take someone awhile to learn English?

A child can learn to speak "languages" in a few years.......

I would think if you are here "legally" for over 10 years or more, you would get the grasp of the English Language.

Its kind of EVERYWHERE.

edit on 11-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Diversity is a really good thing and it makes our country stronger.

Hell, its what made this Country!

edit on 11-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Sonn... come on man... its english. Its the world's first language (not in the number of speakers but in terms of international comunication). In any country, any god forsaken hellhole on this planet people speak english, I know I've been to some "ingrish - iez? carpet nize? u buy. u dollars. me big family. we no like u here. u come here. people die. many guns then others come with more guns" that sort of crap, you get the idea.

If you're going to try to appease everyone, considering the amount of foreigners you have there, you better prepare to make some pretty huge signs... theres only about 6000 languages in the world excluding dialects...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I don't understand why you have to stand for the national anthem, stand when the flag is passing you by, or do any of that stupid crap.

It is just a flag, it is just a song. What you should stand for is for the people in your country, your rights and what really makes your country great. Your national anthem and some random colours on a flag don't make your country great. Moreover, maybe your country isn't so great at all.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Not sure how I missed this thread with so many replies, so forgive me if this point has been made.

The company knowingly hired Spanish speaking workers, it is the companies responsibility to provide signs their employees can read. Period, no argument. Unless it was a requirement for them to know English, then the company is at fault.

Why do people always side with the "boss" these days?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by guohua

Not sure how I missed this thread with so many replies, so forgive me if this point has been made.

The company knowingly hired Spanish speaking workers, it is the companies responsibility to provide signs their employees can read. Period, no argument. Unless it was a requirement for them to know English, then the company is at fault.

Why do people always side with the "boss" these days?

Look, of the 12 workers there's probably 8 who speak some English.

Clearly they where NOT hired through answering an add in a newspaper.

Clearly these people have been hired through what the Spanish called "enganche", or "the hook", which means you already know someone inside the business (family or friend) who puts in a good word for you with the boss.

Basically these were hired through word of mouth, in plan

School - "Mr Ramirez, we need another janitor, do you know anyone?"

Ramirez "oh,si, my sister has cousin. She work very good. Before America she work hospital in Chihuahua..."

School - "Very well Ramirez. She starts Monday...show her the ropes..."

Ramirez - " Ok boss. I show her everyting.."

Now, Mr Ramirez probably has years working the school, he knows his job inside and out in English and Spanish, and doesn't need anyone to tell him what to do..he's a competent man.

However, this person is probably a friend of a friend of a friend, its how the Hispanic community works.

Someone get thems an honest job, which is difficult when you dont read or write English, and the first opportunity they get, they get an ambulance chaser shyster Lionel Hutz lawyer to put in a claim, saying the employer hasn't taken the needs into account, and that they're being discriminated against and their dignity has been hurt...only big bucks can bring back the dignity they've lost...

They forget the fact the employer has given them the opportunidad to work when nobody else whats non English speaking immigrants..
edit on 11-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

How he was hired has nothing to do with it, the company is responsible for the safety of it's employees, period.

Do you realise how many years it took working people to gain rights such as safety in the workplace?

But I guess people should just be glad they have a job eh?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by andy1972

How he was hired has nothing to do with it, the company is responsible for the safety of it's employees, period.

Do you realise how many years it took working people to gain rights such as safety in the workplace?

But I guess people should just be glad they have a job eh?

This has nothing to do with workers rights.

She / he is exercising her rights perfectly, just look at the fact he / she's taking the school to court..there is no abuse of his /her rights.

This has nothing to do with her / his rights as a worker..it's all about the money (dum dum da de da dum)

I do not believe her co-workers didn't show her the ropes.

This is just a scam...pure and simple...

"Im an immigrant, i dont read, write or speak English, i dont need to. You must learn my language. If you dont bend over backwards to accomodate my every whim i will play the race card you will pay thousands."

Until this accident everyone was happy working there...

There wasn't a problem until someone smelt MONEY.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

So what was the injury and what did the sign say ? DON'T BE STUPID.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Felt like jumping in here, so sorry if I missed a reply stating this already.

I'm a very liberal person. I believe immigration is not only desirable for a country, but absolutely ESSENTIAL for it. Bringing in new blood (figuratively and literally) helps to keep our lands great, our industries just above drowning point (BANKERS!!! Y U SO EVIL!?) and also brings opportunities to learn more about whole heaps of stuff.
I feel similarly about emigration. Leaving one's own home is a difficult decision to make, but taking the experience you have into a new setting and learning a new way of life is a very stimulating experience.

However, the most fundamental rule in each of these scenarios is, and always should be, learn the language of your destination! Aside from the fact that it's simply stupid to turn up in a place where you are a non-native and expect everything to be geared towards your comfort, it's also quite rude. How are you to make friends, get along etc etc? Hell, if I'm going on holiday for a week I spend months beforehand learning/catching up on basic phrases. Last time I went to Spain I was sitting on buses with headphones and shouting out things like "¿dónde está el hospital?"

Now, while I do see to the core of the dispute and yes, the employer does have the lawful responsibility of ensuring the wellbeing of their staff, the staff also have a responsibility to assist the employer in doing this. The biggest assistance, of course, is a basic understanding of what is 'safe to do' and what is not.
As the original article says:

"...Our employees are expected to interact with members of the public and that interaction we expect them to be able to understand English,” said Nickeson.

How will she help direct new students or staff? If she can't speak English, chances are she'll either ignore them or just shrug. What does that do for the institutes image?
And we have an even bigger problem and, quite possibly, a bigger danger. The woman in question is a custodian so, in all likelihood, if she discovers something has malfunctioned, perhaps fatally so, and a student or member of the public is right there and in proximity to the danger, what happens? Because if she doesn't have any basic English, chances are yelling "¡Alto! Esa cosa te va a matar!" isn't going to do much.

As somebody already stated, chances are she was employed through a friend. So whoever hires and fires asked the janitor if he knew anyone who'd be good for the job, janitor said yes and got told to bring them in. It's possible she wasn't formally interviewed at all

It's a common courtesy, if not common sense.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So a group of them who are doing the work and know where the hazards are complaining that they can't read the sign. The main hazard for a janitor is a slippy floor. They would figure it out that the sign means slippy floor if it being used to block floors off. The ones before would tell the others and they only have one sign for wet floors. They could write on the signs some spanish if they wanted too.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
They should of never hired people who can't read or speak English in the first place. That should send up a red flag if the person can't speak or read English.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

If you are saying I am a closet racist you read into what I was saying wrong. I will say it again diversity is what makes our country strong.

1st gen to 5th we are all immigrants for the most part. The cold hard truth is they fly the Mexican flag proudly while sending money back to what they consider home. America it seems is nothing more then a host. And when there is nothing more for the host to give they retire back home which is not America.

They? Who is "they"? You do know that Spanish is the primary language of some 20 countries and not just Mexico right?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

a better idea let them enroll in campus English class at the employees cost to learn how to read warning signs they came here under there own will they need to use some of that will to learn the language.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If you use their discrimination philosophy, you would have to have warnings printed in every language on things. Maybe they shouldn't be working in a place if they cannot read the warning signs.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Campus operators said there is no state law requiring complete translations. It is standard at other universities in Colorado.

Sounds like it's a common practice to have warnings translated but these guys got caught with their pants down.

It should be common practice. Most signs in Canada, at least where I live, are in both English and French. It's not that difficult to make a sign in two languages, you just have to make the text slightly smaller/more condensed to be able to fit both on.

Universal symbols help too. Didn't these signs have the universal warning symbols? Anybody who sees a skull & crossbones or a lightning bolt knows goddamn well what it means.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by sonnny1

Sonn... come on man... its english. Its the world's first language (not in the number of speakers but in terms of international comunication). In any country, any god forsaken hellhole on this planet people speak english, I know I've been to some "ingrish - iez? carpet nize? u buy. u dollars. me big family. we no like u here. u come here. people die. many guns then others come with more guns" that sort of crap, you get the idea.

If you're going to try to appease everyone, considering the amount of foreigners you have there, you better prepare to make some pretty huge signs... theres only about 6000 languages in the world excluding dialects...

Love the post, BTW..........

I hear you.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Personally, I feel it should be a requirement to attempt to learn English before citizenship is given. I would never move to a country, not learn the language and expect everyone to cater to me and my language barrier. It's annoying as all can be. I once had a lady come in to my old job, at a bank, with her son to translate and she was lecturing me about my need to learn Spanish to assist the customers. I kindly told them that I have learned the basics but that she should learn english as she has been here 20 years. Well apparently since California used to be part of Mexico she doesn't need to learn the language of the country she's lived in for over 20 years.

Ps IMHO the government should make Englih the national language.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Jennyfrenzy because: Added ps

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join