It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Do I need to be able to speak English to become a U.S. citizen?

Let's see

If you can read one of these three sentences, you pass the reading portion of Citizenship test. If you can listen and write one of these three sentences, you pass the writing test. The reading and writing doesn't have to be perfect just somewhat close.

George Washington was first president.
Who was father of our country?
The US flag is red, white and blue.

If you can, answer 6/10 questions about US history that is memorized you pass the third part of the test. Once again, not perfect just somewhat close.

Who is President of the US? How many Senators? Why 13 stars on flags? Who is your senator? What is supreme law of land?

If you can listen to these questions and respond you pass the final section. of course, most applicants are taught what is most likely to be asked.

How did you get here today? Raise your right hand. Have a seat. How was traffic? Are you a communist or terrorist? Why you want to be a US citizen?

That's quite a bit of English one has to learn.
Oh and this test is only for those who want to become citizens. If you want to just stay a resident alien no es necesario hablar ingles (not necessary to speak English).

edit on 10-5-2013 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If you want to just stay a resident alien no es necesario hablar ingles (not necessary to speak English)

And there in lies the problem just come here take what they want give nothing back apparently english speakers go farther in this country than non.

Our laws are good enough
Our jobs are good enough
Our welfare is good enough

But OUR language isn't.

Then we have millions of immigrants who came before,them who did bother to assimilate in to something greater than their past's, and if their pasts were so great what are they doing here?

Oh yeah not the language they want, not the culture they want, just things.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

America is made up of immigrants and diversity is what makes us strong. In the past people would come to America and learn the language and the American way. Usually by the second generation they would grasp it.

What is wrong with the Mexicans? It seems they can not find a way to fit in. Is it a lack of education? I think not many uneducated people in the past came here and fit in.

I believe they are not really Americans in the first place. It is the sad truth. And I am not saying all are like this but most. They should just go home it is were they want to be.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

So, while I'm all for us Americans starting to learn other languages and all, my question is: How many languages do the warning signs have to be in? Because there are hundreds. Seems like that might be a big sign.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth
reply to post by guohua

America is made up of immigrants and diversity is what makes us strong. In the past people would come to America and learn the language and the American way. Usually by the second generation they would grasp it.

What is wrong with the Mexicans? It seems they can not find a way to fit in. Is it a lack of education? I think not many uneducated people in the past came here and fit in.

I believe they are not really Americans in the first place. It is the sad truth. And I am not saying all are like this but most. They should just go home it is were they want to be.

If someone wants to come to this Country "legally", the least they can do is learn the language that is spoken by most of the Nation. MHO.
edit on 11-5-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
well after reading neo96 post and seeing his link for www.cuny.edu... .
i decided to go to US Citizenship And Immigration Services uscis.gov.

so for all of those who say having to speak english is not the law, it is and here it is from the horse mouth.

Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).

link to page,US Citizenship And Immigration Services

next to last requirement, under eligibility requirements.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

so for all of those who say having to speak english is not the law, it is and here it is from the horse mouth.

You should go back and do some more research and you might find

1) The English is only required for the test. Doesn't mean you have to speak it after you're done with the test.
2) No one is required to take a test. It is only for those who choose to become a citizen. Lliving life as a legal resident alien is just fine and dandy for most immigrants.

BTW, speaking English in the US is not a law.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

BTW, speaking English in the US is not a law.

I thought it was Common Sense...........

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It is common sense. A lot of people for some reason don't seem to get it.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

More importantly, it’s about respect for this country.

Just an awesome picture.

Why I love my Country.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I thought it was Common Sense..........

Common sense left the building a long time ago.

Somebody speaks a foreign language and people get their panties in a wad. Despite the fact that studies show that English is still and will still be the top dog no matter which language takes it on.

Government spends another trillion and people reelect the same clowns who spent the trillion.

Yep, common sense indeed.

Peace

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by SubTruth
reply to post by guohua

I dont buy that one bit.

Sorry.

If someone wants to come to this Country "legally", the least they can do is learn the language that is spoken by most of the Nation. MHO.

I am not sure what you read into my post I thought it was painfully clear. I am for learning the language and fitting in.

Personally I think they could care less about America and hold allegiance to the scum pit that is Mexico.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Every one else learns English why can't the Spanish speakers?
edit on 11-5-2013 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Sorry Sub.

I read it wrong.

Will edit......

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Some users here seem like closet racists. I think LeatherNLace summarized it well.

The injured worker has a legitimate case. OSHA regulations require that warning signs be posted in both English AND Spanish. Like it or not, there are people who do not speak English and are hired by the employer with full knowledge that there is a language barrier. This is the employers fault for hiring non-English speaking workers and/or not providing the required warning signs.

There is a reasons laws such as this exist, whether you like it or not. The law is objective, not subjective, and is informed by a number of logical principles.

Language itself is arbitrary. It will continue to evolve, and I would see no problem with Spanish becoming a second language in certain parts of America as demographics change. I don't see that as un-American because speaking English is not a requirement of being American. Many other countries have more than one official language, and more than one alphabet. It does not impede how society is run. For instance, road signs would have names in multiple languages or alphabets.

Furthermore, I am not aware of the law in the US, but in Australia the common law would require the employer to exercise a duty of care to his employees. If he is aware that his employees have serious language barriers and are unable to understand warnings such as this, it would be very easy to argue the employer is at fault.

Whether this conclusion is populist or not, it does not matter. It is objective.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
To my friend, Night Star, sonnny1, SubTruth,hounddoghowlie, zonetripper2065 and neo96.

This statement by SubTruth says it all and you've all been trying to get the others to comprehend this.

The real reason this particular group of people refuse to learn English is, They don't have to, they have no real desire to advance themselves in this life, even though in American you can actually live very well knowing how to communicate to others.
They are catered to and many people defend their lack of education and general ignorance of the really good life America can offer them and their families.

This is important to me because, I came to America as a wife of am American who spoke fluent Mandarin Chinese and understood my culture and way of life.
He was self taught when he discovered he was being assigned to Beijing. I'll not go into his or my former job.

What is important is this, even though in China I am highly educated, I have two degrees one is a Masters in Electric Engineering and the other I am a Doctor on Ancient Medicines, to include Acupuncture, Cupping and Herbal.

None of my degrees meant a thing in America with out a good working knowledge of English. I started working as a cashier at Lam's Oriental Market to improve my English skills and took ESL classes at night with my husbands help to improve my understanding the language better of my adopted Country.
Soon my husband took me to Phoenix Community College and I enrolled in advanced English courses and after two years I was interviewed and employed by a large Electronics company.

If you truly want to advance and be successful in America, Learn English. But it seems to me, as long as people continue to carter to and make excuses for some people, they'll have no reason to try and better themselves, Why should they? You feel sorry for their self induced ignorance and pamper them and pay them so you can feel like your saving a little part of the world with your statement like"Those that move here and don't learn the language don't learn it because they don't have to....those that bitch about it are discriminating because they want others to conform..." This is BS!

edit on 11-5-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Easy on the hypocrisy there Paleface....

The Native language here IS NOT English...

signed...DarkSkyRain

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by andy1972

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by guohua

No politics needed. It's up to the employer to provide a safe working environment. It's part of 'due diligence' which is an integral part of their insurance coverage. They screw up - they become liable.

You wanna bet they won't do it again.

What wont they do again..have the balls to put a sign only in English or be stupid enough to hire immigrants who don't speak English ??"
Hey...Don't ask me - ask their insurance company or legal staff. But in my world, there is a middle ground where you explain what those signs mean if you hire those who can't speak the language.

If this person is one of 12 people who work there in the role of janitor,maintainence etc, and there 11 more "Hispanics" in their workforce doing the same job, would'nt it have been the norm for these people to have trained their fellow non english speaking workers about the "do's and dont's" and the danger therein of their work, explaining what each sign said in Spainish, knowing they couldn't speak English to avoid accidents.

And just to show there's no discrimination here on ATS...

Si esta persona es una de una plantilla de doce persona's que trabajan alli como conserje o mantenimiento, y hay once mas personas de raza latino en la plantilla del colegio trabajando en la misma feina, tu no creas que seria lo normal para que las entrenaba enseñadoles los "eso se hace y eso no se hace", y enseñadoles los peligros de su trabajo, mostrandoles los señales de peligro y traduciendolos para que ellos podian entenderlos, sabiendo muy bien que ellos no hablan ni lean en Inglés, simplemente para evitar accidentes en la zona de trabajo.

Thank you for your patience - Gracias para tu paciencia..

edit on 11-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
If the employee could not read the sign they had an obligation to ask to find out. If they were in the states for less than a year I would have sympathy but if it has been longer than that I wonder how they signed their employment contract and everything else in life that needs English. Some things are universally known to be hazardous, but what was the sign that needed translating? Most warning signs these days come with pictures, especially in corporate environments. What did she do, mix bleach with windex and catch the fumes?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by andy1972

So your problem isn't with language it's with what you perceive as opportunistic behavior.

If if was only so simple as Opportunistic behaviour.
But opportunistic behaviour coupled with the race card to make a quick buck from a school thats given you a chance to work there knowing full well that no other employer would give you a chance BECAUSE YOU NO SPEAKY INGLÉS, and are therefore a danger to your fellow workers in case of fire or accident.

It's biting the hand that feeds you...

edit on 11-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join