It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Tough chit. Move here, live here, learn the language.

Second line.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyofGlass

They did,That is the problem with the whole situation. Once again they are asking for special treatment and expecting the U.S to cater to them.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

The articles state the defendant (university) thought the employees should know basic English yet they hired them knowing they didn't speak English. In regard to informing of warning signs there is no indication of any type of written documents given to employees. The issues involve schedule changes and workplace safety, and since the employer hired these workers they have responsibility by law to communicate that. If you know anyone who has ever worked in HR or an attorney they will tell you that if it ain't in writing, it doesn't exist.

In regard to them asking for the U.S. to cater to them the only thing I see them doing is assimilating to U.S. culture perfectly. They are joining the bandwagon of sue happy people that have no regard to whether their claims are legitimate or not. Hey if it had been mold I'm sure some attorney somewhere would have got all the Spanish mold ridden victims together and filed a massive lawsuit that had shady statistics at best backing it up. Oh wait, they did that with English speakers.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is great, I'm loving it. Keep bringing uneducated people (mostly Hispanics) into the country while those with advanced degrees from US universities are sent back to their home countries.

And what's the excuse again? "There aren't any Americans who would do the job" - right because US legal residents or citizens have bills which can't be paid off on a slave wage that the shadow workforce is willing to accept.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by opal13

Hmmm I wonder what happened to that idea when Americans were killing the natives.

Using your logic they should have been learning Algic.

You should be grateful the migrants are only here to work, not kill off your family and take your land, eh?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by opal13

Hmmm I wonder what happened to that idea when Americans were killing the natives.

Using your logic they should have been learning Algic.

You should be grateful the migrants are only here to work, not kill off your family and take your land, eh?

It was Natives that almost killed off my ancestor's tribe, not the white guys!!!! It has been over 200 years and for whatever reason, we have been speaking english. People coming here through the proper channels learn english, not the hundreds of other languages spoken here.

Not here to kill your family??? Ask the guy who lost his wife and little girl at the same time because of an illegal drunk driver what he thinks. How about the thousands of other people who have lost family members? Do not minimize the situation to make it sound harmless and innocent!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Official Language for the state of Colorado is English.

www.languagepolicy.net...

edit on 14-5-2013 by sbert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomwv
This is a topic I do not often have with Americans because I have heard and dealt with far too much of `This is American so speak English or leave` crowd. Yet, I have been to many different countries and I can tell you that it is becoming pretty common practice around the world for signs featuring the native language as well as other languages commonly spoken by people who live or travel to said nation from other regions. I find it odd that America is one of the few countries which is so resistant to having more than one language on their signs. It`s a very Jingo type of position to take in America to demand that all signs be in the `native language` of their country, considering that America has no official language and English was a language forced on North America hence English is not the `native language` of America.

I would agree with you when it comes to tourism and things of that sort. However, when it comes to integration into the country, it's a bit different.

France and it's various islands in the carribean are a prime example of someone a bit more stringent about speaking the language then the US.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sbert

Unconstitutional and would be deemed so if it was ever challenged.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Better to have one language that unifies us all. Since most people here speak english, our immigrants learned english. The entire country changing for one foreign language when hundreds of foreign languages are spoken is unfair and only segregates people.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Could perhaps give a link or some proof that it truly would be unconstitutional. As far as I'm concerned, states have the right to pass laws/policy and enforce them at the state level.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Dunno if this has been mentioned already, but I told this story to one of my friends (who has way too much time on his hands) and after some digging he said she'd climbed into a tumble dryer and somebody turned it on.

After some digging turns out the 'incident' is even more bizarre...

It was later learned that the unfortunate custodian had accidentally fallen asleep in an unlabeled clothes dryer during her night shift tour and was seriously injured when a hungry Hispanic co-worker inserted a quarter thinking he was purchasing peanuts.

Source

So... climbed into a dryer, fell asleep and turned it on. Ignoring the complete and total idiocy of this, surely the university can claim, in it's defence, that they don't have a sign warning people not to sleep in the dryer hanging beside it, so whether she can read it or not is irrelevant.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

Ummm, I think your source is a joke/satire/humor website, sort of like The Onion...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sbert

Please read the amendments and tell me what you think they mean? If you pass a law creating an "official" language you are limiting rights of Spanish speaking (or other languages) citizens. As an American citizen you have the right to due process regardless of what language you speak. If an "official" language is required in governments then that includes all services including legal. If you pass an official language it also infringes on free speech which is guaranteed in the the first amendment. For instance, a government employee would be prohibited from helping a Spanish speaking person with forms or prohibit them from creating forms in the needed language. In the case of offices dealing with required forms in heavy Spanish speaking communities that could effect voting, driving, and many other services that they are paying for through taxes.

It could also be applied to many other areas of the constitution.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
The injured worker has a legitimate case. OSHA regulations require that warning signs be posted in both English AND Spanish. Like it or not, there are people who do not speak English and are hired by the employer with full knowledge that there is a language barrier. This is the employers fault for hiring non-English speaking workers and/or not providing the required warning signs.
edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

If that's the case, then OSHA regulations are discriminating against all non-Spanish-speaking employees, who have a primary language other than English. The OP is right; unless they mandate signs in EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE spoken by non-English speakers, they are wrong for requiring any. Why should Spanish speakers have signs for them, when all others have to learn English? Are they not capable of learning as the rest do?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is getting to be a bit comical. Do we not need a universal language?

Basically what this infers is that even stop signs need to be printed in 100s of languages.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
The injured worker has a legitimate case. OSHA regulations require that warning signs be posted in both English AND Spanish. Like it or not, there are people who do not speak English and are hired by the employer with full knowledge that there is a language barrier. This is the employers fault for hiring non-English speaking workers and/or not providing the required warning signs.
edit on 10-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

If that's the case, then OSHA regulations are discriminating against all non-Spanish-speaking employees, who have a primary language other than English. The OP is right; unless they mandate signs in EVERY SINGLE LANGUAGE spoken by non-English speakers, they are wrong for requiring any. Why should Spanish speakers have signs for them, when all others have to learn English? Are they not capable of learning as the rest do?

Exactly!!

Notice how people keep ignoring the hundreds of others and only cater to one group?
Not only that, but there are places all across the USA where WE are required to speak spanish in order to get a job! There is something seriously wrong here!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
31 States have English as thier primary language.
us-english.org...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
"March 7, 2013
Washington, DC—U.S. English Chairman Mauro E. Mujica today commended Iowa Representative Steve King and Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe on the introduction of legislation to declare English the official language of the United States."

us-english.org...
edit on 21-5-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
This is getting to be a bit comical. Do we not need a universal language?

Basically what this infers is that even stop signs need to be printed in 100s of languages.

There's nothing commical about it and no one said anything about a 'universal language.'

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join