It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
i believe if you move to a country you should learn the language,and if you are visiting a country do research befor hand.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Until this country makes English the official language we will have to deal with cases like this. As moronic as they are.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theboarman

America doesn't have a language you use my language, English.

Spanish has been in the Americas much longer than English has, and the Spanish were here much sooner than your ancestors were.

Most Mexicans are of European ancestry, much like most Americans.

What makes you think you have a right to demand anyone speak English? Maybe all English speakers should learn Spanish? No one has a right to demand either, because you have no official language.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am so sick of things like this. English has always been the language used in America, plain and simple. And "reverse discrimination" is happening all over the country, where those who speak English only are being discriminated against by those who only speak Spanish. If this was Mexico I could understand, but it isn't. How can people come here ILLEGALLY and have the same rights as a citizen? How can they receive public assistance?

And many people apparently do not realize that the immigrants who came over in the big wave in the 19th century really worked their butts off to learn English, and to do things the way they were done in the US. If our government wants to protect us, they should stop catering to illegals. If someone wants to come here, they can do it legally. Doing it illegally simply shows they have no respect for our laws to begin with, so why would we want more criminals here?

And think about this: Does it really matter "why" someone comes here illegally? Do the police or the prosecutors care "why" a person commits a crime? No, they are only concerned with the fact that it was committed, and the reasoning for the crime is not going to help one bit. If I robbed a bank because I had no money, would anyone care "why?" So if someone breaks the law by immigrating illegally because they have no money and want to make some, why should that fact matter?
edit on 5/11/13 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
A requirement for citizenship should be proficiency in English.

You have to be able to read English to take the Citizenship test.
edit on 11-5-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by theboarman

America doesn't have a language you use my language, English.

Spanish has been in the Americas much longer than English has, and the Spanish were here much sooner than your ancestors were.

Most Mexicans are of European ancestry, much like most Americans.

What makes you think you have a right to demand anyone speak English? Maybe all English speakers should learn Spanish? No one has a right to demand either, because you have no official language.

Of course we have a language here, it is english.For over 200 years we have spoken english here. The only reason it isn't official is because no one ever whined about it before or came here illegally and demanded and expected us to change our country for them. All immigrants in the past who spoke a foreign language learned to speak english when they came here. It is only the spanish speakers who want their own way. Why should they be any different than anyone else? So many people were so sick of it even being an issue that many States had to make it their official language. We also have bills coming up to fight for english to be the official language in the US.

It is only with the unchecked numbers of illegal immigration into this country over the years that things changed. Double standards for laws where illegals can pick and choose which ones to follow and all others must obey. That's bull!

People are getting sick and tired of catering to people who have no desire to respect our laws and language. We don't go to other countries expecting them to hand us whatever we want on a silver platter. We wouln't be so bold and disrespectful as to expect another country to speak 'our' language.

With hundreds of languages spoken here and all those people all learned english, there is no excuse for spanish speakers not to.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Most of the illegals I worked with over the years had no desire whatsoever of becoming citizens. Many of them have saved enough money to return well off in their own countries. They use us to get what they want. Many of the women claimed they were a one income household when they wern't. They were above the poverty limit and had cheap housing, food stamps, medical...all from deciet.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
They use us to get what they want.

You mean like we use third world countries to get what we want? America bullied Mexico to get what it wanted, more land. They did what Europeans had been doing for centuries, land accumulation through force, spank the natives until they leave, or are assimilated.

Manifest Destiny. I think a lot of Americans in power still believe in that.

The only reason America is so wealthy is because of slavery, war, and imperialism. How could you miss that?

The reason Mexicans are so poor is because their capitalist economy is owned and controlled by very few people, almost just one family, and they haven't colonised other nations to exploit them.

If the roles were revered can you honestly say you wouldn't do the same thing to feed your family? Or would you let them starve because of a law? The way things are going Americans are going to be heading north for the same reasons the Mexicans do now.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

So the case in quebec up north in Canada they force immigrants to learn french. However if someone comes into the province and only speaks english they are required to be vigilant and learn french as nothing in the workforce is written in english. So we cant file a lawsuit and cant force the company to change the practice of french only. it is a law of the province. Yet Canada has a law of bilingualism. I cant see how America would allow the spanish employees to dictate how the rules are governed in their new country. Granted spanish is your second language, but how much of it is enforced. If you are moving to a country to better your life, learn the laws and languages. Stop trying to force the new country to accommodate you. You are a guest and you obviously left your country for a real reason. Why not just stay where you were?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by Night Star
They use us to get what they want.

You mean like we use third world countries to get what we want? America bullied Mexico to get what it wanted, more land. They did what Europeans had been doing for centuries, land accumulation through force, spank the natives until they leave, or are assimilated.

Manifest Destiny. I think a lot of Americans in power still believe in that.

The only reason America is so wealthy is because of slavery, war, and imperialism. How could you miss that?

The reason Mexicans are so poor is because their capitalist economy is owned and controlled by very few people, almost just one family, and they haven't colonised other nations to exploit them.

If the roles were revered can you honestly say you wouldn't do the same thing to feed your family? Or would you let them starve because of a law? The way things are going Americans are going to be heading north for the same reasons the Mexicans do now.

I don't believe that any human should suffer no matter who they are, what color they are or where they are from. I think all governments are corrupt and could be doing a lot to help their own, but they don't. It's a shame!!

One thing that people seem to ignore is that we also have poor people who are falling through the cracks, who have to decide on food or life saving medicines. We have a lot of people who make like a buck or two above the poverty limit and get no help whatsoever. We have tent cities even in the colder climates where people suffer and struggle to feed themselves. Some never make it through the winters.

We have poor people from all over the world. Is it possible for America to take them all in? Sadly, no.

As for people bullying other people, even Native American tribes fought amongst themselves for food and land.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
If it hasn't already, this should be thrown out. This person's greedy lawyer convinced her she had a case and they're swinging for the fences. Frivolous lawsuits like this, are a waste of resources and the state should hold them accountable and file counter suits.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WilliamOckham

Like I said before, the person training her had to have told her about saftey issues and signs. Even if he didn't, she had to have known the sign was important and should have asked what it said. No matter where she works there will be safety issues and signs and if she can't understand english, she needs to learn out of necessity.

What is she going to do if she is ever badly injured in a car accident, wait for someone to come along to translate so she can tell them where she is hurting? Time is of the essence in matters of life and death.

I hope this employer learns a lesson and hires people who understand english.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Good to hear. I hope the custodian gets their fair share.

edit on 12-5-2013 by lucidclouds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by intrepid

Campus operators said there is no state law requiring complete translations. It is standard at other universities in Colorado.

Sounds like it's a common practice to have warnings translated but these guys got caught with their pants down.

It should be common practice. Most signs in Canada, at least where I live, are in both English and French. It's not that difficult to make a sign in two languages, you just have to make the text slightly smaller/more condensed to be able to fit both on.

Universal symbols help too. Didn't these signs have the universal warning symbols? Anybody who sees a skull & crossbones or a lightning bolt knows goddamn well what it means.

Yes, but the difference between the US and Canada. The 1969 oficial languages act enforced the use of French in an effort to preserve the culture of the French Canadians. Now the Canadian constitution the Federal Government has both English and French as its national languages, with all courts and legislation being written in both French and English.

In the US, they havn't yet adopted Spanish as their 2nd official language.

As i said earlier only in the USA could this have gone so far...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by Wildbob77
A requirement for citizenship should be proficiency in English.

edit on 11-5-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

Yes, but the words "CAUTION WET FLOOR" didn't appear in the test, so he / she didn't have a clue....

I think this one should go before Judge Judy.....

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Really??? How friggin hard is it to hang up a sign with both english and spanish??? alot of racist comments on this subject in this thread, I am disgusted I thought ATS was a very open minded community who could see the big picture in things...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u
Really??? How friggin hard is it to hang up a sign with both english and spanish??? alot of racist comments on this subject in this thread, I am disgusted I thought ATS was a very open minded community who could see the big picture in things...

We are looking at the big picture, and racism, no.....INDIGNATION. We are indignant of a system where political correctness has gone barking mad. Where the majority must bend to the will of the minority.

Would this have happened if the worker had been from India, China, France, German?? I dont think so...

How many ethnic communitys are there in the states? And how many of them would have the balls to do this???

If i were Hispanic i would find this group's actions indignant, an insult to the many who work day after day trying to destroy image of the immigrant worker who doesn't wish to integrate himself with society. There are thousands of Hispanic workers in the US who work alongside Americans and do the same job. Even though they dont speak English they know their job just as well as the next man. For these men and women an accident is an accident, it could happen to anyone.

This isn't about fighting for the rights of the Hispanic commnity in the USA.

If anything it will be a set back for foreign non English speakers in the US who wish to work in factories.

Now people who once hired non English speaking workers (especially Hispanics) wont do it for fear of being taken to court if the sign on the bathroom door reads BATHROOM and not SERVICIOS.

edit on 12-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
If the employer wants to higher non-english speaking people then it's the employers responsibility to have signs up in a language every one of those employees can read.

So, yes, they have a good case IMO.

The question of whether or not those employers should be hiring non-english speaking people is not the responsibility of those people in question.

You can't blame them for wanting to wok, you can only blame the system for allowing them to work.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

The only reason Mexico hasn't expanded, is their military is a joke, in order to expand you have to have force. Any one of any real value in Mexico left. Whats left are the dregs. Doesn't matter how The united States got its land, The Spaniards Took it from the local Tribes, and trough Rape and pillaging formed what is Mexico today.

Are you going to blame, Spain for being Imperials that ruined an entire country but also creating a bastardized race that stole the land of the original inhabitants and keeps them in subjugation?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
The only reason Mexico hasn't expanded, is their military is a joke, in order to expand you have to have force. Any one of any real value in Mexico left. Whats left are the dregs. Doesn't matter how The united States got its land, The Spaniards Took it from the local Tribes, and trough Rape and pillaging formed what is Mexico today.

Yes that is one of the reasons.

Yes I know the Spanish took it from the natives. I never said that was a good thing.

Where do you get that all the people with value left? You mean the natives?

Are you going to blame, Spain for being Imperials that ruined an entire country but also creating a bastardized race that stole the land of the original inhabitants and keeps them in subjugation?

Sure, why not? That really wasn't the discussion.

You can't justify doing bad things because other people have done bad things. By the time of the Mexican-American war Mexico had been Spanish for 300 years. Longer than America has been in existence. By your logic we should just invite the Chinese to take over America, seeing as that's how things work in your world.

Also having a larger army is not an excuse to take land by force, can I take your house if I show up with a bigger gun than you have? You'd probably have a slightly different opinion about that eh?

edit on 5/12/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join