It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
reply to post by sonnny1

I don't understand why you have to stand for the national anthem, stand when the flag is passing you by, or do any of that stupid crap.

It is just a flag, it is just a song. What you should stand for is for the people in your country, your rights and what really makes your country great. Your national anthem and some random colours on a flag don't make your country great. Moreover, maybe your country isn't so great at all.

Its a respect thing.

Some people get.

Some, don't........and will never understand.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by andy1972

How he was hired has nothing to do with it, the company is responsible for the safety of it's employees, period.

Do you realise how many years it took working people to gain rights such as safety in the workplace?

But I guess people should just be glad they have a job eh?

This has nothing to do with workers rights.

She / he is exercising her rights perfectly, just look at the fact he / she's taking the school to court..there is no abuse of his /her rights.

This has nothing to do with her / his rights as a worker..it's all about the money (dum dum da de da dum)

I do not believe her co-workers didn't show her the ropes.

This is just a scam...pure and simple...

"Im an immigrant, i dont read, write or speak English, i dont need to. You must learn my language. If you dont bend over backwards to accomodate my every whim i will play the race card you will pay thousands."

Until this accident everyone was happy working there...

There wasn't a problem until someone smelt MONEY.

Sounds like a scam to me as well. If her friend was showing her the ropes of the job, common sense tells me that he would not leave out something as important as safety. Everyone knows that signs are up for a reason and should know better.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Sounds like a scam to me as well. If her friend was showing her the ropes of the job, common sense tells me that he would not leave out something as important as safety. Everyone knows that signs are up for a reason and should know better.

Glad it wasn't a " Bridge out" sign...........

God only knows if it was in Swahili.

The lawsuits would be maddening.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
You want to live and work in the United States then learn the language. We speak English.

You want to speak Spanish go back to Mexico.

It's the employer's responsibility to only hire qualified candidates for the job.

If the employer can't communicate with the employee, then that candidate can't be qualified.

The job seeker simply goes and applies, not knowing all the conditions of the job situation.

If the employer has some important signs, documents, and/or worker instructions, that have to be read or listened to by the employee, it must be in a language that the employee can understand.

Employer is at fault.

Don't hire ladies, unless you've got a ladies room. Don't expect the lady to use the gents restroom.

Don't hire a Spanish person, unless you've got Spanish facilities.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
If you use their discrimination philosophy, you would have to have warnings printed in every language on things. Maybe they shouldn't be working in a place if they cannot read the warning signs.

Precisely. Following their logic, in order to not discriminate against anyone EVERY sign must be in EVERY language, of which there are 6500. And let's not forget the people who will, inevitably insist they must also include Klingon, Elvish (both Sindarin and Quenya), and personally I'd feel discriminated against if Mando'a wasn't included either.

Nonsense.

If you move to a country, ANY country, learn the native language. Mexico>US, learn English. US>Mexico, learn Spanish. Australia>Iceland, learn Icelandic.

As I stated previously, while the employer has a responsibility to ensure the safety of staff, so employees have a responsibility not to do anything as stupidly irresponsible as turn up to work and not know the language.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

Australia>Iceland, learn Icelandic.

They speak Icelandic in Australia ?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I can't stand when I see the phrase: "Learn English, this is America!"

Well...exactly, this is America, not England.

Do you know what are national language is? Nothing.

The founders left it blank because America is supposed to be the "melting pot" of the world where people come from all different countries. (Which has become a lot less appealing nowadays and rightfully so)

My ancestors came over from Europe from several different countries and did not speak English upon arriving. And the majority of the citizens here are descendants of non-English speaking immigrants. The language barrier fades through the newer generations of immigrants, but there will always be new immigrants. Would you have wanted your grandparents/great grandparents/great-great grandparents persecuted because there were ignorant, intolerant individuals like yourself back when they arrived here?

If you guys are so gung-ho about there being a designated language of the land, perhaps we should all start learning the tongue of the several Native American tribes that were the victims of ethnic cleansing and imperialism.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
There are many languages that have been prevalent in the U.S. over the years. The current prevalent language is English but that may change as demographics change, which has happened multiple times throughout history. With that being said, the employer hired a Spanish speaking employee and therefore had the responsibility to either post warning signs in Spanish or give the employee a written notice of what the warning signs meant in Spanish. I say written because the employer is required by law to inform employees of what warning signs mean and written is best bet as you can get signature from employee. This particular employer acted negligently in regard to a Spanish speaking employee and so it is reasonable to believe the plaintiff will more than likely win case.

Also just an FYI but English will never be "official language" as doing so would be infringing on rights guaranteed by constitution for non English speaking citizens. Due process is one example that comes to mind in regard to having English only laws infringing on rights.
edit on 11-5-2013 by LadyofGlass because: Because

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

Would you have wanted your grandparents/great grandparents/great-great grandparents persecuted because there were ignorant, intolerant individuals like yourself back when they arrived here?

Statements like the one above are un-called for and I'm sure violate the T&C rules.
You evidently did not read the entire thread and replies.
You also must not reside in a heavily populated area of Spanish speaking individuals.
If you did ever leave your home and get out of the sub-burbs you'd notice that a vast majority of the Mexican immigrants live in neighborhoods surrounded by others of their nationality and do not speak English.

If you'd read some of the responses to this thread you've discovered many have been here for more than 10 years
and have desire to learn English beyond what they need to obtain a drivers licenses.
You'd also would have read that most retire back to Mexico to live off the monies they made here and sent back.
And last but no lest, They don't need to learn English to improve their lives here because of people here that tell them they don't! We'll take care of all their needs for them and educate their children.

If you're so Gung-Ho on them being ignorant of the American language and our Culture but their language and their culture is shoved down our throat constantly, maybe you'd be Happier live in Mexico, I'm sure they'd be Happy to cater to your needs and your lack of knowledge of their language.

edit on 11-5-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

But there is no requirement for anyone to learn English.

People make money in America, and take it back to Mexico?

What about all the American companies that make money from exploiting Chinese workers, and bring that money back to America?

What about the decades of imperialism and colonialism, and all the resources taken from third world nations and used to make money for Britain, America, France, Holland, Spain etc., that you benefit from btw.

C'mon get some perspective.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I've worked on global development projects with teams in the different BRIC countries. All calls and email are conducted in English. It's amazing how people around the world want to learn English. If you go to India, you can get around easier speaking in English than in Hindi. English is the unifying language of India. Some countries like Canada speak English and their version of French. Globally, for example, international business, it seems to be the English language and those that speak English have an advantage in their careers.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

What about all the American companies that make money from exploiting Chinese workers, and bring that money back to America?

Try not to derail this thread please.
But I will answer your question about the Exploited Chinese Worker.
You've been misled.
The pictures you've seen of the poor Chinese worker living in a building with others and they work 12 or 16 hours a day 7 days a week.
You don't understand the first thing about the Chinese culture, those people are Happy to have a bed and bathroom and kitchen supply by their employer at not extra charge to them. Chinese people are used to long hours, Hell, Our children don't commonly even have a summer vacation from school and schools days are often 12 hours long, because you go to school and then to your tutors home for more schooling.
In China Education is every thing and the Schools, Colleges and Universities you are allowed to attend means every thing to your family and you,

But back to the poor misused Chinese Worker, Many are poor people from the local country side villages with very little education and no opportunity in life other than the family farm.
They are Very Happy to have that factory job and a large portion of their money is sent home to help support their families.
You don't see the lines of people wanting in the streets for a job opening so they are first to apply.
Something else you need to understand.
In China for a middle class family of three to live comfortably for a month they need to make $120. to $150.a month or 800 yuan to 1000 yuan and they are very Happy and we have monies left to help their other family members.

Now back on topic please.
You need to also kn ow, I'm Chinese and came to America with limited English skills and two years later I had a Great Job and five year later I am a Proud American Citizen.
America is Good to people who take the time to learn her ways and learn her language.

Sorry everyone, I was on my soap box again. But I Love America, I've been a Communist, I've been raised to mistrust all things Western, I was raised to believe America wanted to Conquer China, enslave it's men and women and eat their Children. Opps Sorry.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthings

I've worked on global development projects with teams in the different BRIC countries. All calls and email are conducted in English. It's amazing how people around the world want to learn English. If you go to India, you can get around easier speaking in English than in Hindi. English is the unifying language of India. Some countries like Canada speak English and their version of French. Globally, for example, international business, it seems to be the English language and those that speak English have an advantage in their careers.

Yes, the same in China, Speaking and Understanding English means Jobs, Opportunity and Advancement in any large corporation or companies to include the local banks in the tourist cities in China.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

So why are Chinese workers fighting for rights?

Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Analysts say worker unrest in China has grown more common because workers are more aware of their rights, and yet have few outlets to negotiate with employers.

When they do, the results can be ugly and, because of social media and the internet, instantly transmitted to the world.

''At first it was a conflict between the security guards and some workers,'' said a man who was reached by telephone after he posted images online. The man said he was a Foxconn employee. ''But I think the real reason is they were frustrated with life.''

Protests rise as China workers fight for rights

I am not derailing your thread, I am just showing you a different viewpoint to your own. I think you just deralied your own thread.

Happy Chinese workers...

edit on 5/11/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

did you not read her post where she said she was a chinese national from bejing. that came here after she married a US citizen.

i think she would know more about chinese culture than you.

ETA:

and i think it kinda ironic that you chose a video about a electronic tech firm, and she has a masters in electric engineering and now works for a electronics company.

edit on 11-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Troublesome
I can't stand when I see the phrase: "Learn English, this is America!"

Well...exactly, this is America, not England.

Do you know what are national language is? Nothing.

The founders left it blank because America is supposed to be the "melting pot" of the world where people come from all different countries. (Which has become a lot less appealing nowadays and rightfully so)

My ancestors came over from Europe from several different countries and did not speak English upon arriving. And the majority of the citizens here are descendants of non-English speaking immigrants. The language barrier fades through the newer generations of immigrants, but there will always be new immigrants. Would you have wanted your grandparents/great grandparents/great-great grandparents persecuted because there were ignorant, intolerant individuals like yourself back when they arrived here?

If you guys are so gung-ho about there being a designated language of the land, perhaps we should all start learning the tongue of the several Native American tribes that were the victims of ethnic cleansing and imperialism.

Do you know why we never had English as an official language? It's because everyone already spoke it. Anyone immigrating from another country learned and spoke english.

For an entire country to change because of one group is ridiculous. My ancestors and most people's ancestors learned English. We can speak to all our immigrants because they all speak English. Otherwise, we would have had to have learned hunreds of languages. That would be impossible and is not neccesary.

For you not to understand simple common sense is beyond me.

The only reason there are spanish speakers in such high numbers is because of illegal immigration and their disrespect for our laws and language. To go to another country and demand and expect them to speak 'your' language is the hight of arrogance. How rude!

No American citizen should be forced to speak spanish in order to get a job in their own damned country! The spanish speaking population is the ONLY one catered to on so many levels. We have hundreds of languages spoken here, why only one group being put on a pedestal? Is that not a slap in the face to all other foreign speaking immigrants???? All others had no problem speaking the language of their new home.

I have never seen any other foreign speaking immigrants catered to like they are above all others like I have the spanish speakers. Many States have had enough of the bull and now have english as their official language. There are also bills coming up to make English the official language.

As for Native Americans...had our ancestors learned their language most of us wouldn't have minded. The fact is theyd idn't and we have been speaking english for over 200 years now.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

They don't teach common sense in college, if they did, many would flunk out.
Don't be bitching at him, we are supposed to have patients with those overeducated people who are less intelligent than us.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

This is the quote from the article you needed to read.

Many of the protests appear to be related to the economic slowdown, as employees demand the payment of overdue wages from struggling companies, or insist on compensation when money-losing factories in coastal provinces are closed and moved to lower-cost cities in the interior. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

This is the problem in China. There are practicably no Labor Laws in China, it's kinda like a Right to Work State in America.
You can work for a month and not get paid Ever if that company is not making a profit, It happens in China all the time. You also failed to mention, this accrued in the workers dormitory, yes their company supplied home for their employee's.

The only organization interested in The Workers Rights in China have no Real Voice in China.
The AFL-CIO
digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu...

I think we have discussed enough on this topic, This thread has nothing to do with China.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
As for Native Americans...had our ancestors learned their language most of us wouldn't have minded. The fact is theyd idn't and we have been speaking english for over 200 years now.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

When the poster said: I can't stand when I see the phrase: "Learn English, this is America!" Well...exactly, this is America, not England....

...as far as I know, nothing of the Central and South American countries are called Spain, but they speak Spanish (well, then there is Brazil and Belize).

As far as speaking Native American languages as their common language, are there any countries in Central and South American that do. I'm not aware of any, And the U.S. ancestors did wage war on the Native Americans here, but they were rank amateurs compared to what the ancestors of the Central and South American countries did in terms of war and religious conversion of the native populations.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by ANOK

did you not read her post where she said she was a chinese national from bejing. that came here after she married a US citizen.

i think she would know more about chinese culture than you.

ETA:

and i think it kinda ironic that you chose a video about a electronic tech firm, and she has a masters in electric engineering and now works for a electronics company.

edit on 11-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

Thank you hounddoghowlie for trying but some people believe every thing they're feed on the Boob Tube and news outlets, they have not the faintest idea on what they are reporting.
To be plain about this, those people the poster was trying to pass off as abused workers or angry workers because they had been mistreated badly is completely wrong. They had not been paid and that is a common practice in China unfortunately.
My brother was working as an Hydraulic Engineer for a Chinese company for 6 years and all was great and then he and his other friends their did not get paid for 1 month and the second month they received half pay with no real hope of ever being repaid for lost wages.
that is why, the average Chinese will learn English and keep applying for jobs at companies own and operated by Westerners.
But then again, that is the difference between our neighbors from South of our boarder and as you've and other have pointed out here in the thread, people from other countries and still in their home country will learn English to better them selves.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join