It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Above, So Below

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The magician, one hand pointed up and another pointed down.

with the above top secret and below top secret i've always thought that the whole theme here on ats was "As above, so below." there are many interpretations of the as above, so below.

well start with the quantum mechanic's observer effect which says that the observer must be considered apart of the system being observed.

In science, the term observer effect refers to changes that the act of observation will make on a phenomenon being observed. This is often the result of instruments that, by necessity, alter the state of what they measure in some manner. A commonplace example is checking the pressure in an automobile tire; this is difficult to do without letting out some of the air, thus changing the pressure. This effect can be observed in many domains of physics. The observer effect on a physical process can often be reduced to insignificance by using better instruments or observation techniques. However in quantum mechanics, which deals with very small objects, it is not possible to observe a system without changing the system, so the observer must be considered part of the system being observed. wiki

Another way to interpret it is to say what happens above, corelates to what happens below, as in above the firmament and below the firmament. As in the zodiacal signs and esoteric astrology have to do with the current events of earth. i once made a thread called The Harlot, The Virgin, The Dragon, and The Bright Morning star... where i tried to peice together the signs or "wonders in heaven" of revelation because the bible says that god created the lights in the sky to serve as seasons and signs.

in this thread we can see the constellations hydra standing before Virgo (the woman.)

Thread I was talking about

So when they say the as above, so below they are meaning that the events and things that happen on earth are related to signs in the sky, and that the observer must be considered as apart of the whole, or the system being observed.

on wikipedia for as above so below it says that it originated in the vedas and can be found on the emerald tablets.

These words circulate throughout occult and magical circles, and they were recorded in Hermetic texts, although they originate in the Vedas.[citation needed] The concept was later laid out in The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, in the words "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing". In accordance with the various levels of reality (physical, emotional, and mental), this relates that what happens on any level happens on every other. This is, however, more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm. The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) you can understand the other.[

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Sometimes i like to say;
One God. One Thought. One Love. as Above, so Below.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Belcastro

These words circulate throughout occult and magical circles, and they were recorded in Hermetic texts, although they originate in the Vedas.[citation needed] The concept was later laid out in The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, in the words "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing". In accordance with the various levels of reality (physical, emotional, and mental), this relates that what happens on any level happens on every other. This is, however, more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm. The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) you can understand the other.[

The one thing consists of the seen and the unseen. The unseen is the source of all.
This that is here presently both is and isn't.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The one ocean has many waves appearing on top. The waves might start to think they have control of the ocean but it is not true - the ocean is waving.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by Belcastro

The one thing consists of the seen and the unseen. The unseen is the source of all.
This that is here presently both is and isn't.

in the beggining was the void, and within this void was the spirit of god. God and the void are one.
it means the same as in the beggining was the word and the word was with god and the word was god.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

this that is here both is and isnt, as in on a quantum level things pop in and out of existence all of the time

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Belcastro

No. The ytterbium atom casts a shadow remarkably similar to the spiral of the Milky Way galaxy. The known universe, when mapped, shows astounding similarities to neurons. As above, so below. Nothing religious about it. It's simply an observation of the evidence suggesting that the same physiological principles that govern the celestial bodies also play an intrinsic role in the biology of our humble planet and its inhabitants, right down to particle physics.

Spirituality incorporates these findings into its celebration because the significance of such discoveries supports the appreciation they have for the beauty and magic they feel in the universe.
edit on 10-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

i have always believed that the statement AS ABOVE SO IS BELOW is related to atoms .

looking at an atom under a microscope it looks like a planet system with the sun in the centre and neighbouring planets surrounding it .

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

i have always believed that the statement AS ABOVE SO IS BELOW is related to atoms .

looking at an atom under a microscope it looks like a planet system with the sun in the centre and neighbouring planets surrounding it .

yes thats what i meant by observer effect in quantum mechanics.
as in an atom is spread out all over the place until a councious observer decides to look at it.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

No. The ytterbium atom casts a shadow remarkably similar to the spiral of the Milky Way galaxy. The known universe, when mapped, shows astounding similarities to neurons. As above, so below. Nothing religious about it. It's simply an observation of the evidence suggesting that the same physiological principles that govern the celestial bodies also play an intrinsic role in the biology of our humble planet and its inhabitants, right down to particle physics.

Spirituality incorporates these findings into its celebration because the significance of such discoveries supports the appreciation they have for the beauty and magic they feel in the universe.
edit on 10-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

i agree and disagree i incorporate the as above so below into my religious beliefs.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

i agree and disagree i incorporate the as above so below into my religious beliefs.

Just because an idea may be incorporated into a theme, does not mean it is applied correctly.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I posted this video in another thread and it received little attention. It is a bit long. But... it gives a compelling argument for the argument. You'll live to be over 80, with any luck, whats 1h:30m?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
I posted this video in another thread and it received little attention. It is a bit long. But... it gives a compelling argument for the argument. You'll live to be over 80, with any luck, whats 1h:30m?

interesting enough in that video he says that within a finite space we can have infinate information with fractals.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

As above, so below.

To expand: I think whats he's saying is that we can see what's below. It is a child of us, right down to the smallest thing we can measure. But we cannot measure what is below that. And we cannot measure what is above us. Blinded by what we can "see". But what is in between, is the same as what is in between us and the next smallest measurable level. As above, so below. We just don't get it yet. I think we're getting there though.
edit on 10-5-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

I love that guy's work. He incorporates science into spiritual metaphor in such a way as to shed light on the mysteries man has been attempting to solve for centuries. Even his ideas aren't completely foolproof, they certainly make some appetizing food for thought.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

i agree with afterinfinity i like that video he posted too
i really like fractals and sacred geometry and stuff.

i know afterinfinity said i might not be incorporating the as above so below into religious views correctly but what i really meant was that i view the as above so below in many different ways not just for atoms but as if the entire universe was an organism and solar systems were atoms or cells.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

All science is doing is explaining in words what is already the case. Science is trying to understand what is.
It is not a puzzle, it is art.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

All science is doing is explaining in words what is already the case. Science is trying to understand what is.

That's what science is doing. People, however, are not. In their attempts to define what is, they try to change what is because they fall short of what it is and try to force it to fall short with them. In this way, all of reality becomes limited as we insist that reality conforms to our understanding rather than conforming our understanding to what really is.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

That's what science is doing. People, however, are not. In their attempts to define what is, they try to change what is because they fall short of what it is and try to force it to fall short with them. In this way, all of reality becomes limited as we insist that reality conforms to our understanding rather than conforming our understanding to what really is.

Science cannot exist without people so I fail to understand - people are scientists.
Can you look to find what is actually going on - one must look directly at 'what is' without going to information from other peoples finding - it must be done presently.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Science cannot exist without people so I fail to understand - people are scientists.

Not all people are scientists.

Can you look to find what is actually going on - one must look directly at 'what is' without going to information from other peoples finding - it must be done presently.

As I have said before, that's the best part of science. It doesn't just give a subjective account, it uses methods by which subject observers can determine objectively. And an objective account is universally referable.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I guess I see "As above, So below" as referring to the rinse-repeat structure that is objective reality. The most primitive and the most sophisticated, when taken apart, are of the very same construction. And this fact is critical to understand, even as the mysterious emergent systems that appear at various development junctures seem to divide reality into a series of separate "here" and "there" with conflicting "natural law" tenets. In the end, the basics continue from the least to the greatest, and this simple statement seems to declare this to be the case in the most elegant brevity possible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join