It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling evil

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LobeDethFaurt

Sarcasm? A little, maybe. Sure, I don't think my inaction on some levels is equal to murdering someone, as you implied. There're a million (billion, trillion,...) accounts where could have acted to reduce suffering and harm to others elsewhere in the world. But either because of apathy or vanity or because I did not want to risk my own life, I decided to rest on my laurels. I did not push myself to be a better person, I just cast it out of my mind.

I'm not out in the world saving starving people or rescuing them from certain death. I'm not performing a job that saves lives. I'm not risking it all for the service of others. I don't put others first. I don't protest bad deeds by our leaders; unless you count ranting to myself as protesting. I don't chase after evil to limit its reach. See, by all measures of what's good, I am the least active and most likely to sit back and mourn as evil rapes the world.

I do have mountains of respect for people who do help others. I admire them. They're courageous and are the reason many people can actually sleep well and safe at night. Contrastingly, I do not respect people who hurt others. I do not admire them. Instead I feel repulsed.

All the same, I don't think I am the same thing as a murderer. One might say that I am like a robber. Through inaction, I rob others of a good and secure life.

Remember, I don't believe in good or evil in a religious way. I believe in it in a logical way. Good is whatever makes the world better. Evil is whatever makes it worse. It's rational.

By my own judgment, I am not good. But I am not as evil as I could be. Obviously, I don't wnat to be evil. But by trying not to be a part of this world, I, by inaction, strengthen evil.

Don't think for even a brief moment that just because I perceive good and evil logically that I don't have (sometimes) strong emotions or convictions about it. That'd be incorrect.

As for religion, it can sometimes make us do good things, but what I don't like about it is that the REASON people do good on a religious basis is too irrational in my view. So the REASON you saved that boy is because you believe in God and in Jesus Christ and your will is to serve God and try to be as christ-like as you can. Where I don't like this is it's not logical. See, the logical reason to save the boy is to preserve his life and his family's heritage. If nobody is saved then people die and this has an impact on our civilization and on our genetic diversity and so on. We act to help others because in communities this makes us stronger and maximizes our defenses against evil.

Now, some people have tried to sabotage the whole logic thing by asking "Well, what if there was a boy trapped in a burning building and any rescue attempt is almost certain death for the 20 fireman that have to go in to make the attempt? Isn't it logical to just let him die since 20 fireman and their expensive equipment is more important than 1 boy?" But here's the thing, when there's a boy trapped in a building, the 20 fireman that go into save him do not consider the situation completely logically. It's instinct. They try to survive, but saving the boy is their priority. Logic only plays a role in their efforts to save him, it does not stop them from attempting to save him. This doesn't break logic, it just means sometimes people don't use it fully because instinct takes priority.

There's also the issue that this effort to sabotage logic has limits. It's very hypothetical and reliant on exceptional situations. For example, policeman will not risk everything to save others. They actually have policies that force them to act cautiously. Rescuers also will not throw everything away to save people (including children) who're caught in a hurricane. Instead they stand down until the weather conditions are fair enough for them to travel to the storm ravaged area.

What I'm really saying is there's a logical reason for altruism. Altruism can sometimes lead to a situation where 20 fireman die trying to rescue a boy from a burning building. But altruism most often leads instead to a stronger society that's much better able to defend against the forces of evil.
edit on 11-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

edit on 11-5-2013 by ILikeStars because: cuz i changed a thing.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I hardly think straight any day I swear. I usually use the rule of thumb that if it is healthy, it's a good idea, if it is unhealthy, it's a bad idea... I guess. But by definition, values are subjective, right? That's why it is so hard to talk objectively about them lol.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Jump into the eternal flame of darkness.

You need to open yourselves to the reality of the world.

Together side by side we will run into the light. From which is hidden from mortal man.

When the maker rock the boat. the unbelievers dive together. Tonight we celebrate our never ending flight. And together side by side we'll run into the light.

You might enjoy these songs a little bit more.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Duckling

Your not evil. As kids we do things that are not quite right with the norm. I had cousins that had some high powered pump guns and all I had was a BB gun. Prior 1980's. I was a good shot and killed a bird. Today, I still feel horrified with my actions. How do I know if that bird had babies? I hate myself for my actions. I'm not evil, I was just misguided at the time (I was very young and dumb). I throw money at animal conservation now. I take in animals in as well. We learn from our past mistakes.

Still, I don't forgive myself. But I have to move on and do the best I can to save other animals.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Do your eyes have a red glow to them?

Do you have a goatee?

Do you think Luke made the wrong decision?

Do you think Christopher Walken is the best actor ever?

Do you turn the stereo up real loud when Black Sabbath is on?

When Ozzy Osburne speaks, does it sound really meaningful?

Do you ever wish that Spider-Man would lose his powers mid swing from the Empire State Building?

Do you fantasize about owning a Wal Mart?

Would you vote for Sarah Palin?

Do think its funny to fart in elevators?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duckling

Cause when I'm thinking logically, I am a good person so then why do I feel the opposite? It is like my instincts are deceiving me.

So you always try to do the right thing even though you struggle with what that is? "Evil" is just a made up word for acting on our impulsive instincts. Is a lion evil for killing its prey?

Without feeling evil, you wouldn't know how to gauge what it is to do good. We are animals with a big frontal lobe.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Duckling

I'm pretty sure that people who are truly evil don't feel guilt about being what they are. Is an evil person even capable of guilt? There has to be some goodness somewhere in there in order for a person to feel remorseful over their "evil" deeds.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian

Originally posted by Duckling

Cause when I'm thinking logically, I am a good person so then why do I feel the opposite? It is like my instincts are deceiving me.

So you always try to do the right thing even though you struggle with what that is? "Evil" is just a made up word for acting on our impulsive instincts. Is a lion evil for killing its prey?

Without feeling evil, you wouldn't know how to gauge what it is to do good. We are animals with a big frontal lobe.

A lion is most certainly not evil for killing its pray. As lions tend to clear out a lot of the more agressive predators and pests. They maintain the kingdoms watering holes from being ravaged by hyenas.

They are quite important in chasing away other predators and picking off the old and young keeping the numbers in check.

That is why they were deemed Kings of Africa.

Evil needs to be destroyed. And it will. Everyone should be preparing for the end times. They arrived in 2012. They may act this year. As the prophecy goes. the number 13 is very signifigant. It also happens to be at the very top of the Aztec and mayan sun stones. With both of the feathered serpents tails pointing to it at the top.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
evilness is fun to play around in

just dont get lost in it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Maybe there's someone in your family, a great grandparent or even further back from them, who experienced some sort of evil or was evil in some way (abuse, devil-worship, etc.) and their energy is still strong in your own body?
I'm sure evil is passed down some how, even if it's just a memory or like a phantom-itch (something like that...)
If you aren't blacking out and there aren't any missing pets/children, I'm sure you're fine

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Don't believe the hype. IF you were pure evil I doubt you'd be bothered enough to compose a thread about it. Have you ever been diagnosed with an anti-social personality disorder? Psychopathy would be the closest human trait that I'd consider 'pure evil' which to me is akin to pure selfishness.

There is good and evil in everyone. Could be you just have a low opinion about your ethics or are someone hyper-critical of themselves.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Hi duckling,

I believe you are not evil. If so why do you consult people on a forum thinking that you are evil? This action alone shows that you are concerned with whether you think you are evil and how people view you. Such a concern would proof that you are not one.

I certainly can side with you on feeling evil. Sometimes I do have "evil" or sadistic thoughts. It is common that one can derive pleasure from seeing someone suffering. For example, you can feel secretly happy when you see your classmate getting low grades.

Whether they admit it anot, everyone has this kind of thoughts once in awhile. Just be able to differentiate what is right and wrong and don't act on stupid things and you be fine.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You said that really well jiggerj

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

:lol
o you have a burning desire to have a career at Monsanto?
Do you attend Westboro Baptist Church?

Hi Duckling,no,seriously,i don't think you are evil.If you were,you would not worry about being evil.You would have no conscience,not a care in the world about this feeling you have inside of you.It would "sit right" with you,and be no cause for concern.You would be at peace with it-and feel no worry about the possibility that you may ever hurt anyone or anything.The very fact that this feeling worries and disturbs you,is most likely a sign that you have no desire to hurt others' lives-only you are scared you may end up doing so.

If i may ask,how old are you?When i was a child,my adoptive mother kept telling me that her sisters were angry with her for adopting me-because apparently they told her i was going to murder her when i'm older.When i entered a room where they were sitting together,all talk would stop(even when approaching,i could distinctly hear the conversation was not even about me) and they'd be looking like a hungry predator was among them.Made me feel like an even worse freak than i already did.Sort of evil or "bad seed" you know?

But although i was filled with seething rage against the world,my adoptive mother,all the injustice and cruelty and how hard life was for me-i never hurt anybody.I felt like it,sometimes,even fantasized about knocking someone's block off-but i never did.Trust me,feeling evil,and doing evil things are not the same.

May i ask,what are the things in life that makes you happy? That takes your focus off of this feeling you have,and let you forget about it for amounts of time?Do you have such activities? I'll be by later again.
I leave you a funny,seeing we're on the subject of evil,tty later

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join