It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall Hanging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I recently finished this Native American inspired wall hanging centered around a Thunderbird. I incorporated elements from earth, wind, water and fire. I call it Thunderbird on the Rise.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

I like the fluid symmetry of the piece. I would think that it would be hard to pull off, but you did. Nice work.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Wow, what a cool and interesting piece!
Thanks for sharing! Do you have any others??

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thank you! I am 1/16 Lakota Sioux but never grew up with traditional teaching. I have always connected with the earth and its life. The process began with selecting manzanita wood and the idea of incorporating as many natural elements in it that I could. The leather and the beaded lightening bolts descending on an abalone earth with the four ivory beads painted the four colors denoting the fours directions came to me almost as in a vision. The Thunderbird came about as I added deer antler to the branching bottom of the center stick. I added the six wings of the thunderbird and then used the base of the antler as the head. I used red and black coral for the neck and a fossil baby clam as the eye. The three strands of crystal beads are quartz, amethyst, and fluorite ending in flint arrowheads. The shells are strung alternating shell, wood and antler separated by black onyx, and blue turquoise beads. the three individual pieces are secured to the cross piece with copper wire and colored rawhide. Everything was done by hand and no power tolls were used. The wood was sanded and polished by hand. Many, many coats of natural wood polish. I say with humbleness that It was a mystical process where I was definitely following the promptings of the piece.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I am currently starting another piece and will post a picture when I get it done. I do a lot of walking sticks with animals carved in them and true dream catchers. I will post some photos of one of my sticks tomorrow as it is getting late here. Thanks for your comments and I am glad you like.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Dear grayeagle,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I am as creative as a fire hydrant, and while I was impressed with your piece, I was even more impressed with your explanation. The thought and consideration that went into it, the careful selection of the elements, and your opening yourself to the spirit of the piece is just inspiring.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 10-5-2013 by charles1952 because: missing word

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

that's a wonderful creation.. i make a lot of craft work from natural materials (see my sig) though i dont branch out much into art, you may have just inspired me to try some new angles - many thanks for sharing and inspiring

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I like your work as well! There is something deep in us that connects with the primitive. I have noticed that some people have it and others don't. You have it! Peace!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
That is really cool!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Optix

I just looked at your art work and want to acknowledge you are really, really good. I can imagine your art going places. Your talent will be recognized and you will be doing it full time. I hope you never lose the joy of your creativity! Well done!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Thank you!

I love that you went through a mystical process in making this piece. That makes that more endearing all the more.
Almost like the old Japanese sword makers but yours has different meanings...very, very cool.

20 years ago i dated Arapaho Indian girl from Oklahoma and i got exposed to a lot of their customs. Also never give an Indian girl Whiskey....learned that the hard way, hehe

edit on 14-5-2013 by Optix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join