It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

with out giving out links its all over bit torrnet right now so it can be found if you look hard enough.this is an example of why hardcopies come in handy

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I really don't see a problem with this. Not all info on anything ever should be for everyones eyes always.

I support second amendment rights but outrage over this is just plain silly.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy
And another, from an officer of the law no less...

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You ain't invincible guy.

It does if you get a bail-bondsman permit! LOL.

2L.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The truth is out that it can be done and thats the main thing, i'm sure that the spooks of pretty much every country have had similar undetectable weapons for years as i can remember hearing of guns made of ceramics many years ago to defeat metal detectors

Give it a few months to die down and reports of a few idiots making it out of crappy materials and blowing their fingers off and only the serious people will still be messing with the general idea and probably making good money but i doubt you'll see a printable version of a standard semi auto pistol for a long time that will look anything like a normal side arm

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
I don't think the one available at Office Depot uses the special heat resistant ABS, this is the key.

so it really doesn't matter if everyone has a 3D printer, the key to making a usable weapon is the heat resistant ABS.

My guess is that this heat resistant ABS will be soon classified like bullets and guns

Ill bet you it wont be long before we hear of people trying to make them with non heat resistant ABS and failing, probably hurting themselves. Of course there's going to be many people trying to modify the design now as well.

Yea you are probably right, blowing themselves up a la meth men in the midwest, lol

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
I really don't see a problem with this. Not all info on anything ever should be for everyones eyes always.

I respect your faith in the government but history tells me otherwise
edit on 10-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

Not about faith in the government, for which I have very little to none. .

Tell me why should my child need to have these plans? Or your child? Or some rich bratty kid? Why should felons need these plans? Why do YOU need these plans?

No real reason other than to give a big middle finger to the government.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

That's great. How about supporting the first amendment now.

Tell me why should my child need to have these plans? Or your child? Or some rich bratty kid? Why should felons need these plans? Why do YOU need these plans?

That's the friggen point.
edit on 10-5-2013 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

HAHAHAHA!!! 'Bout damn time. Maybe they aren't idiots after all.

In reading this article, I applaud the Pentagon's decision. Just because we are allowed to own guns doesn't mean we should make it easier to find them. Pirating has become a major trend, and all it takes is a pirated schematic to allow some loony to print a gun without legal authorization.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That is what mirror sites are for.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

hope.you are right , but i see this tech to much of.an economic impact to the current controlling corporations. not to mention the potential to loose tax revenues unless the laws are.changed.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I just think we don't need the government telling us whether or not we can own a 3D printer in the same way they can't tell me whether to own a gun.

Further, making guns is only a fraction of the usefulness of this new device. For the majority of uses it is excellent. Thus I'd love for any child to have a 3D printer. Its just like any object, it has no inherent good or evil, only the human user.

Best wishes

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Its not good to take the view that well kids cant afford 10K printers so lets not worry,
Their not 10K they are more like 1k and its not about now, its about not too far from now when as predicted most people will own a 3D printer in the home, I have done my research on that too. how will they regulate it? I don't think they can. the world is shifting into a place where if you want it you can just make it. you can't regulate it, and makes gun regulation pointless.
I personally think its scary, causes lots of problems but also exciting.

The world is shifting

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Dude, who the hell cares?

Why even bother loosing more hair over something that in 3 years every jr high school kid will be able to autocad up in about 4 hours with a bit of research.

The school district Im in has 4 3d printers 2 of which are student access as long as they provide the materials. We print up little action figures, replacement car parts for shop class, and who knows what else.

If I want to print up a plastic pistol and blow my hand off....well that's called population control. Just wait till 3d printed explosives get main stream. Its not that complicated to do right even right now with the right combination of plastics and a few homemade materials. It wont pose any more threat than evaporated windex and a bag of scotts all yard protection from home depot that I can buy right now. It's not like its hard to get the materials to make explosives if you pay attention in AP chemistry class and do a little recreational reading.

I can download the autocad for several fire arms and produce 70% of the metal components in my local shop class discretely, it doesn't mean I have any desire to, most people that truly want to hurt people, are to stupid to manage it in a creative way. That's why they resort to violence in the first place.

Maybe I'll have to print up some heavy plastic body armor so I can send my kids to public school...but i highly doubt it.

edit on 10-5-2013 by vind21 because: For great Justice!

edit on 10-5-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
100000 people have it, its out there, and if it isnt, its on darknet.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Reading through the comments here, I'm still wondering if ANYBODY actually bothered to read the article this news is based on.

1. Yes, the files are on torrent sites (as well as elsewhere). This was already stated in the article.

2. Because the files were removed at the request of the Defense Trade Controls, due to breach of International Traffic in Arms Regulations ITAR export rules, it was
- NOT removed to protect the American population from being able to get guns easily.
- ONLY removed due to export related issues.

Thus, if Defense Distributed could put the files up again with a geographical IP address blocker, only allowing acces to IP addresses from within the USA, then all would be well.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Somebody should just host it on an Off Shore Server so anybody can download it. Then again I bet it is freely available via the Underground Internet Scene. Screw you Feds!!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
No surprise here. I posted the following in January.

Originally posted by interupt42
www.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL, Either a permit will be required for the printers or they will use this fear of making weapons to ensure the public is never able to legally acquire one of those printers.

I'm not so sure that some of the major players today would want you to be able to produce your own goods and bypass their products. Not to mention possible tax loopholes.

I can easily see them using this gun threat to prevent the general public from ever getting their hands on this technology or tie it up in the court system to keep it a snails pace.

That is exactly what worries me. And why I'm so angry with this Cody Wilson now. How could he not realize the damage he could potentially be doing to freedom in the future.

What this Cody Wilson has done is put the future of 3D printing into serious doubt.
He's doing a big favor to the types of people who do not want to see all the other people expand their independence/freedom.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper
[
What this Cody Wilson has done is put the future of 3D printing into serious doubt.
He's doing a big favor to the types of people who do not want to see all the other people expand their independence/freedom.

The 3D printing causes very serious problems for commerce.

A lot of small scale products are produced every year in factories all around the world, with cheap labor, and cheap materials, then are distributed to the nations of the world with huge markup prices. Things that cost pennies are sold to the end user for tens of dollars, sometimes hundreds.

When people start printing these products at home, that will demolish a huge industry of commerce, that pays people all along the distribution path, handsome wages.

I discovered something interesting one day when moving house. I went to buy some boxes for books and kitchenware. The retail shop where I usually buy boxes were all out of the size I wanted. Their price was $3.75 per box. But, they had none in stock. They guy suggested I could check with the distributor, whose name was printed on the box. So, I went to the distributor warehouse, and inquired if they had any, explaining the shop sent me there. Sure, they had, the kind lady said. She brought out the boxes for me and charged me 25 cents per box. I was stunned. How did the shop get from 25 cents to $3.75 per box? I presumed the distributor warehouse was making money selling me the boxes at 25 cents each. I wondered what was their mark up? Probably 2 cents each. I always bought my boxes from that distributor after that "enlightenment".

So you see, all these little plastic things, and parts we buy, have a Huuuuuge markup on them. A lot of wages are paid by that mark up. This is the real problem. Commerce will collapse.

AND, another thing. Although the NRA is always fighting for people's gun rights. I bettya they support suppressing the 3D technology that enables people to print their own gun. Again, the gun manufacturers stand to lose the most here.

edit on 10-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join