It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

why are you arguing with "sane" people?
the "sane" that worship the State,
who do not believe in self defense,
having been trained since kindergarten
to go crying and pleading to the authorities as the "sane" response to violence
by people too weak and/or cowardly to possess self-respect,
or exercise self-determination.

remember, "sanity" is catching.

edit on 10-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by James1982

James 1982

The sole point of my post was in fact to show my distain and complete bewilderment over the obsession many Americans have with the gun.

I agree with you that a 3D printer is no 'magic box' and that economies of scale would suggest better manufacturing processes for Water well parts or medical devices but my point is this.......
Why oh why the fixation with destruction and killing devices...... New technologies and those who use them should have a social conscious to improve society and ultimately humanity......... Sadly as demonstrated, most are wrapped up in a world of self publicity and greed mentalities.

PS - I'm NOT anti gun but I am becoming fast Anti the American way which in most situations has nothing to do with freedom unless it is freedom 'American' style.......

Regards
PDUK

Because it's their right.

Other than that, no one will tell me why either...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by James1982

James 1982

The sole point of my post was in fact to show my distain and complete bewilderment over the obsession many Americans have with the gun.

I agree with you that a 3D printer is no 'magic box' and that economies of scale would suggest better manufacturing processes for Water well parts or medical devices but my point is this.......
Why oh why the fixation with destruction and killing devices...... New technologies and those who use them should have a social conscious to improve society and ultimately humanity......... Sadly as demonstrated, most are wrapped up in a world of self publicity and greed mentalities.

PS - I'm NOT anti gun but I am becoming fast Anti the American way which in most situations has nothing to do with freedom unless it is freedom 'American' style.......

Regards
PDUK

As a United States citizen I can appreciate your point.

Again (for the record : I am Pro 2nd Amendment- and the rest) but the Second seems a "sacred" Amendment while the others dont really seem to matter to most people (not all)- I have watched people who support the Police State, invasion of privacy, Militarized Police, etc..etc...etc... Now become advocates for the Second Amendment are are acting like Constitutional Scholars... People who regularly support MY freedom being taken on a myriad of issues that does not concern THEM- NOW rallying behind the Constitution and its sickening in a way.

Also, throwing around the word "freedom" while we have the largest % of any population in the World locked up in Private and for profit prisons- So I get it...

That said, I welcome the support in the fight to secure the 2nd Amendment even if its coming from Hypocritical sourses in MANY CASES (not speaking of anyone in this thread- just in general)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus
reply to post by macman

why are you arguing with "sane" people?
the "sane" that worship the State,
who do not believe in self defense,
having been trained since kindergarten
to go crying and pleading to the authorities as the "sane" response to violence
by people too weak and/or cowardly to possess self-respect
or excessive self-determination.

remember, "sanity" is catching.

edit on 10-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

I was actually trained since nursery (kindergarten) to fight violence with my fists, and not some completely ridiculous invention. Before you say it, over here the other guy never had, or was even close to a gun... At most you were coming up against bats and shizz... Funnily enough, I still wouldn't have shot anyone given the chance.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I can understand your distrust, but there are actually many blacksmith shops around I'm happy to say!
We built leaf springs for trucks, either add a leaf or complete custom jobs, very big in the classic car scene as well as the 4x4 crowd, Rancho™ Has made millions off of it!
We also did add a leaf for big crane trucks and 18 wheeler applications, and alot of trailers big and small.

Yes I know that acid will bring serials back up, (I saw that episode of TJHooker as well back in the day) but with a dremel you can simply rub all of the way through, the guns integrity will not be harmed as long as you keep it cooled.
Barrels and firing pins do have their own signatures I understand this, but as an earlier poster stated, barrel and firing pin for about 120. USD.
Wolf precision makes excellent barrels and all kinds of accessories.

Although I was only the apprentice to the "blacksmith", I have studied metalurgy and worked with metals all of my life, it is one of my fascinations. I doubt I would have gotten the job otherwise.
So, no BS and I understand why the questions, hope that cleared it up!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SQUEALER

Originally posted by g146541

All these cads do is let the world realize that even though the cat was out of the bag a long time ago, it is definitely out now.

It's about ease of use.

Anyone could create a gun long ago...with a lot of work...etc..so the hardened criminal always had a way...

But today, your five year old can print a gun and shoot his sister, in an argument.

A gun could be made along time ago much easier than you suggest, zipgun comes to mind.
But criminals usually use something with more than 1 shot.
So the kid could simply grab a (insert sharp or blunt object) and kill his sister in her sleep or while her back is turned.
This printer may be a good thing in this case, with a 5 hour construction time, this may give the kid a chance to cool down.
The candlestick is on the table and the cleaver is in the drawer, much easier to grab.
I think your argument has been crushed.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by adjensen

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

Headline is a sensationalist lie, of course.

The files were taken down by the designer himself, after a request from the U.S. Department of Defense.

The files have not been "scrubbed" from the internet and are available in multiple other places.

I only tell you this, for ATS users too lazy to read the article and are just outbursting after reading the headline and thread title.

Yeah, I am sure that the "request" was just a "pretty please will you take it down".

I'm sure it was too, the cat was let out of the bag, and everything from here is just free advertisement!
The creator knows the cad has been downloaded millions of times already, no piece of paper or willpower can stop its spread.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

we can do this sort of thing in america [1st amendment][just replace obamas face for georges]
without fear or penalty
precisely because of the 2nd.

and having grown up in harlem in the 70's
we grew up having to deal with much more than "bats and shizzz"

Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts: “Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins.” (spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789.)

Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts: “What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.” Rep. of Massachusetts, I Annals of Congress at 750 (August 17, 1789).
“…that standing army can never be formidable (threatening) to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in the use of arms.” - Alexander Hamilton(Federalist Paper #29)

edit on 10-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is this even physically possible?Would'nt you need a darn good printer worth about 50,000 bucks?Why don't people just print Vegas poker chips or something.(just kidding).

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You know sometimes i think that while certain Americans spend so much effort arguing about their right to have guns they let all sorts of other infringements on their liberties slide on by. Im starting to think the whole gun debate is a very clever distraction designed to keep a lot of Americans from getting involved in whats really happening to them in their country.

Its like as long as they can keep hold of their guns they still believe they live in a free democracy meanwhile their government walks all over them in so many other ways.

As long as the gun debate rears its ugly head every now and then a good proportion of the American population is not well and truly distracted but still feels in control.

edit on 10-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by fairguy

Just more uninformed, Non-US Citizen, Anti-Gun Rights drivel.

We get it, you don't like firearms. That is nice.

Thanks but it's far from uninformed

You're right, I don't. Why do you like them so much?

Remembering that I already stated that I understand it is your right... Albeit a very stupid one.

So tell me why do you have such a throbber for these ridiculous inventions?

Fair question you asked, star to you.
I hope I can help you.
You Brits like your tea and "football" (the real football played with your feet and all, not the nfl crap).
I am the guy who wrote he had fired off tens of thousands, more like hundreds of thousands but anyway... It is damn fun!
I have shot targets at a mile away with a handgun!
Yes I have, Kalifornia has alot of farmland and long flat spots here in the valley.
You do this much the same way you would use a bow for a long shot, aim waaay high and hope to hear the TANGGGG on the gong.
And there is more than that, the satisfaction I get from grouping rounds close to each other, (kind of like splitting an arrow in archery) is very satisfying to an old fart like me.

Funny side story, awhile back I was shooting a target without a scope.
I noticed every time I was grouping within a quarter of an inch, but getting two separate groups every time.
I finally figured out that my vision has gotten worse and I am seeing double at distance, so i was aiming true, but true left or true right was the problem!

Yep, time for me to get some bi-focals...

(Edit)
I forgot to add, with my guns I have on occasion been known to have fed my family.
Wild game is days better than shrink wrapped nitrogen encapsulated mystery meat.

edit on 10-5-2013 by g146541 because: mystery meat

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
ACLU should be all over this one.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yup. Most have blinders on no doubt. Otherwise we'd all be libertarians.

One good thing to come from defcad is that intertwines the 2nd with the 1st. That will, hopefully, put the focus on all rights and liberties rather than a singular one at the expense of all others as so many often do.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN
-Has anyone consider the "Quality Control" angle?

Just a few MM off and the firearm could explode. My regular (non 3D) printer sometimes makes mistakes. When I purchase a Firearm I buy for quality, and firearms have a quality standard so that they do not generally "blow up" in your hand...

Could you imagine some 3D printer being "off" by just a little bit? Or some idiot writing a Virus which changes the 3D printer by a very small degree?

-Again, I do not like this at all. "Printing" a firearm with no QC or checks and balances is a very bad idea IMHO. But again, genie is out of bottle. I imagine this will be more reason to strip our privacy in the long term.

QC really wouldn't be an issue, the only thing to really go wrong with this is the small 2 inch piece of barrel, very easy to check with a 20 dollar micrometer from Harbor Freight.
And being off a mm is catastrophic to ANY precision piece.
Where guns are concerned, we deal with thousands of an inch.
Shooting a .458 through a .454 barrel with +p ammo could be catastrophic. could be..
Anyone who reloads ammo already has all of the knowledge and tools to deal with this.
But I understand the concern,

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

there are plenty of plans and youtube vids and websites that show you how to make super cheap, safe, homemade guns that works just fine and can be made in hours with household tools and parts you can buy at walmart.

I honestly didn't know this, but I am not shocked.

I'm just glad I'm not some murderous-minded psychopath with ideas of mass-slaughter and go looking for these plans now I know they exist

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Its not scrubbed at all its just gone viral. All this did was make the plans popular and people actually got off their butts and started spreading the files. Making guns from scratch was always easy, the fact that the government wants to shut this down just makes it more popular.
edit on 10-5-2013 by AllGloryIsGods because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The plans have already been distributed world wide I'm sure. By next week China will have version on the net.

Also since no one has a 3D printer to make their gun, what difference does it make that the plans are temporarily off the interwebz.

Again, the chinese copy will be out next week.

Regards

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

there are plenty of plans and youtube vids and websites that show you how to make super cheap, safe, homemade guns that works just fine and can be made in hours with household tools and parts you can buy at walmart.

I honestly didn't know this, but I am not shocked.

I'm just glad I'm not some murderous-minded psychopath with ideas of mass-slaughter and go looking for these plans now I know they exist

I think that a homemade single shot pistol would be a poor choice for mass muder, in fact a knife would make "mass-slaughter" much easier.
Careful, you Brits may start to print up PVC knives!!!

(Edit) BTW, I love your avatar!

edit on 10-5-2013 by g146541 because: doggies rock!!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
The plans have already been distributed world wide I'm sure. By next week China will have version on the net.

Also since no one has a 3D printer to make their gun, what difference does it make that the plans are temporarily off the interwebz.

Regards

Or just maybe this was an American conspiracy to put guns in the hands of the world!
Think about it, where will foreign countries draw the line on this info and tech??
Any chinese farmer will be guaranteed 1 shot at getting an AK off an oppressive soldier.
Hey, I made up a conspiracy theory and it seems sound too!!!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

Regards

cubify.com... -This one is for $1200
Office Depot sells them now (I have heard.)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join