It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
oh noes

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I got my desert eagle, I can shoot that over and over and hit a target at a hundred yards. I can't afford to shoot it though. Shell prices have gone crazy.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by g146541

I got my desert eagle, I can shoot that over and over and hit a target at a hundred yards. I can't afford to shoot it though. Shell prices have gone crazy.

No kidding, I got a SW 500 magnum, I think im at 4 dollar a bullet last time I purchased um.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You know, advocating untraceable, easily destroyed firearms doesn't really help convince people of your pro gun stance. Just saying...

Untraceable, easily destroyed firearms have been around FOREVER!!
A dremel, a 30 dollar tool found at EVERY hardware store makes the gun untraceable.
As for destroying it, there are many methods.
I worked as a blacksmith for a period, the forge is an excellent tool for destroying ANY evidence, or just a river, or ocean or many other disposal methods.
All these cads do is let the world realize that even though the cat was out of the bag a long time ago, it is definitely out now.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The 357s are about 29 a box of fifty. The gun just eats up the shells though, it makes you fire it fast. I suppose I shouldn't complain, I was the only one of three at the gun store that got bullets

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Thinking of this technology, I have a New England Firearms SB1 12 Gauge breechbreak, I wonder if I could copy the frame on a 3DP and just get another barrel and stock, Etc.
Many new promising ideas coming to mind.
I could build a frame of steel or aluminum but a polymer frame ....intrigues me.

I also hava had a bit too much tonight, it is one of those nights.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If this 3D gun business keeps up, get ready for a False flag event.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
the 3d printed gun already gone viral ..there is no way to stop it now...

too late mr pentagon

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
No surprise here. I posted the following in January.

Originally posted by interupt42
www.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL, Either a permit will be required for the printers or they will use this fear of making weapons to ensure the public is never able to legally acquire one of those printers.

I'm not so sure that some of the major players today would want you to be able to produce your own goods and bypass their products. Not to mention possible tax loopholes.

I can easily see them using this gun threat to prevent the general public from ever getting their hands on this technology or tie it up in the court system to keep it a snails pace.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

You know, advocating untraceable, easily destroyed firearms doesn't really help convince people of your pro gun stance. Just saying...

A dremel, a 30 dollar tool found at EVERY hardware store makes the gun untraceable.
I worked as a blacksmith for a period, the forge is an excellent tool for destroying ANY evidence, or just a river, or ocean or many other disposal methods.
All these cads do is let the world realize that even though the cat was out of the bag a long time ago, it is definitely out now.

Hell most criminals are fairly dumb, or at least the ones that get caught.

Spare barrel, new firing pin, total cost 120.

Having an untraceable change out to commit crimes with =priceless.

Laws can and always have been easily subverted, their only power comes in Enforcement or the belief of enforcement.

This whole 3d printed gun thing is a red haring to get 3d printers banned, people can see where this tech will lead, Intellectual property holders are shaking in their boots and need this squashed quickly.

So its a gun danger, their problem just vanished.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

too late mr pentagon

I wouldn't say that just yet. How many people have those 10K printers? I can foresee that they will prevent the general public from getting their hands on those printers by making them regulated or illegal to purchase or own Therefore the plans or code will be useless.
edit on 10-5-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

too late mr pentagon

I wouldn't say that just yet. How many people have those 10K printers? I can foresee that they will prevent the general public from getting their hands on those printers by making them regulated or illegal to purchase or own ..

Exactly the point, its not the gun thats dangerous, its people ability to make products on their own with out having to pay into the system that is.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

too late mr pentagon

I wouldn't say that just yet. How many people have those 10K printers? I can foresee that they will prevent the general public from getting their hands on those printers by making them regulated or illegal to purchase or own Therefore the plans or code will be useless.
edit on 10-5-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

dear friend, in a year time owning a 3d printer will be like owning a dvd writer

edit on 10-5-2013 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Liberator plans still freely available on [SNIP]

Any problems downloading please pm me your email me and I will send you information on how to obtain said plans.

Freedom!!!
edit on 10-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed link to illegal site

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Liberator plans still freely available on [SNIP].

Yes, and all the people who didnt bother to read the original article keep saying that as if they're revealing something new and clever.

... adding that the CAD design for the weapon has already spread across the Internet at downloading sites like the Pirate Bay.

edit on 10-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed quoted reference

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I have a funny hunch that a lot of people who downloaded the program are going to get put on a naughty list. I'd never be stupid enough to download that. I am sure Homeland Security and the FBI has every IP address that downloaded it.

I was hoping that the government would take it down. We don't need kids getting access to guns that could blow up in their faces. I bet there will be someone watching the firing pin sales. The places that sell the pins may be FBI plants. Most handguns are regulated in the states, it is a felony to have a handgun even if it is made of plastic without the proper paperwork, Some antique guns are excluded from these laws.

I think I may be reading a few too many conspiracy theories

I don't mean this in an insulting way, so please don't take it that way, but it appears you are incredibly ignorant about nearly everything you discuss in your post.

First of all, keeping a list of people who downloaded CAD files for firearms is a ridiculous idea. Do you realize there are already thousands of CAD files for tons of different firearms available for download? The files that would allow you to have an automated mill make firearm components just like a 3D printer can. Put simply, the people who downloaded the plans are not new, unique, or illegal. They are doing something that's been done probably millions of times already, downloading CAD files for firearms, this is nothing new.

Second off, your talk of kids getting guns that will explode in their face is totally irrelevant. How do you suppose kids are going to get access to a 3D printer, be skilled enough to import the files onto a computer, set up the printer, etc in order to actually produce the gun?

How do you suppose they are going to get ammunition? You do realize you must be 18+ to buy ammo in the states, right? If kids have access to guns, they can ALREADY produce zip guns (shoddily constructed home made guns) quite easily. A steel pipe, a spring, and a nail bolted up with some wood makes a very cheap and deadly shotgun, and you don't need any fancy 3D printer, or the engineering knowledge required to bring the firearm from files to actual object.

There will also be nobody watching firing pin sales. As someone else mentioned, the firing pin could be a nail. Or basically any bit of thin metal. Impossible to track or trace. Even if you use a real actual firing pin from a real firearm, there is no way to track people doing so. No ID is required to buy a firing pin, it's one of many common components to firearms, the buying and selling of them wouldn't raise an eyebrow with anyone.

You are also completely wrong on the laws about handguns. There are a few cities that have banned handguns, but the vast majority of places allow handgun ownership, and there are zero federal laws against owning pistols, nor is there any sort of paperwork or registration that the owner has to deal with, aside from the standard background check at purchase, assuming he was buying it from a dealer. If a pistol is purchased from a private party (another regular person) there is zero paperwork, registration, etc etc attached to the sale or ownership of that pistol.

I don't know why you said "even if it is made of plastic" there are tons of real, legal, commercial firearms made of various polymers, under the eyes of the law they are absolutely no different in any way from a pistol made completely of steel or titanium.

I agree with you on one thing though, I do think you have been reading too many conspiracy theories, and not enough factual information about anything you are discussing.

Anyway, with regard to the whole issue of 3D printed firearms, I think it's being blown way out of proportion. Take this gun for example, it fires a weak round, and will likely fail very soon. A plastic barrel will NOT last any great length of time. While everyone has heard of the various plastics that are "xxx times as strong as steel" or whatever they say, it's actually very misleading. While some low-power rounds such as the .22lr can be fired from plastic barrels reinforced with metal or carbon fiber, for a gun that's actually useful for anything you NEED a steel barrel.

People can ALREADY make cheap, untraceable, deadly firearms with simple tools from the hardware store. So NOTHING changes with 3D printed guns. It's more costly and difficult to 3D print the gun than building it from simple parts would be.

And the whole idea that this ONE batch of CAD files is somehow so important to be scrubbed is ridiculous. Anyone familiar with drafting software could draw up such plants. I could do it, I know others who could. Overall, this 3d printed gun thing is NOT anywhere near as groundbreaking or important as everyone makes it out to be. It's a novelty type idea, nothing that would seriously effect or change anything anytime soon. Please prove me wrong if you disagree.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Doesn't removing any identifying marks on a legal firearm, render it illegal? so you can't sell it legally? So if you've got a weapon with it's id removed then you shouldn't have it, or you're intending on using it for the wrong reason. Just because you can dremel off the identifying bits doesn't mean you can ignore methods that create weapons that simply don't have any identifying bits.

And it's ok if you happen to have a forge, you can dispose of your gun. I keep mine next to the ore smelter out the back.

as oppose to chuck it in a trash can and set it on fire.

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact that being able to print a gun - despite that also being erroneous in it's simplicity as presented to the world - is a lot easier for the average twit to consider than having ask themselves "Damn I better hope bob has his black smithing tools ready when I arrive after I rob the bank."

All I've seen since this came up is people almost ecstatic in blind fervour saying "cant waits to get me a 3d printer.." which surely is not going to be a good thing.

Why not just give out weapons for free. Hand everyone a gun. If they are just a tool, a necessity, a form of protection, why does there seem so much juvenile slobbering with getting as many as you can, shooting them where you want, and metaphorically pointing them at anyone who says "I hope you know what you're doing with that thing."

edit on 10-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
If this 3D gun business keeps up, get ready for a False flag event.

Flippant attitudes render the entire event retarded.

You probably don't really know what a false flag is. But hey, this is ATS god damn it !!111

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

dear friend, in a year time owning a 3d printer will be like owning a dvd writer

Really? Why? What could possibly make you think that?

3D printers have been around for more than a decade. They have advanced a bit, and become a bit cheaper, but they are still a complex expensive piece of industrial machinery. Why all of the sudden would there be some groundbreaking increase in 3D printer ownership, to the point where such ownership would be ANYTHING like owning a DVD burner?

Without 3D printers we can still accomplish the same thing. You can copy a part by having a laser scan done (or simply measuring and drawing the item up on a CAD program) then having the part machined in an automated milling machine/lathe. Have laser scanners and automatic lathes and mills become common household items? No. They have not. Then why do you think a 3D printer, which does basically the same thing, would be?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join