Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

Plans for the working handgun were posted online Monday by Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed, potentially allowing anyone with access to a 3D printer to make a firearm from plastic. The plans, which had been in the works for months, caused alarm among gun control advocates but were seen by some Second Amendment advocates as a breakthrough.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sounds like 100,000 copies of the plan were distributed before the take down, so it's probably pointless -- just ask anyone who posted a compromising picture to "one person" and found out that it went viral.

I'm guessing that the plans are easily discoverable by the creative googler...

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars. Fifteen of the components are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law. The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.

The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different caliber rounds. The blueprint files were made available online today for download.

Defense Distributed is a not-for-profit group founded by Wilson, a law student at the University of Texas. He said the Liberator project was intended to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Thats okay they are still available at many places the GOV has no control over.. I got my copy also,in case I ever get my hands on a $10k 3d printer I can print me out a gun to blow my hands up!

YAH!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
A link to the prescrub thread.

The first all-plastic 3D-printed gun will be available to download in ‘two weeks’

Couple of things I'll reiterate here.

I know there are going to be plenty opposed to this action by the Federal Government on 2nd Amendment grounds, but the First Amendment implications concern me even more.

I notice that it's not the ATFE, not Homeland Security, but a part of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls, that until today I doubt I'd ever heard of. Wiki says it's part of Department of State, I've also seen that it is possibly part of Department of Commerce.

For what it's worth wiki has this

Bureau of Political Military Affairs' Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) is the organization within the U.S. Department of State responsible for enforcing the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. In accordance with 22. U.S.C. 2778-2780 of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA), DDTC is charged with controlling the export and temporary import of defense articles and defense services covered by the United States Munitions List (USML). DDTC ensures that U.S. defense trade supports the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, seeking to deny adversaries of the United States access to U.S. defense technology while ensuring interoperability among allies and coalition forces. DDTC consists of the Office of Defense Trade Controls Policy (DTCP), the Office of Defense Trade Controls Licensing (DTCL), and the Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance (DTCC)

from wikipedia

That's all about that department I found easily.

So are they going to try to charge the guy that posted this with arms trafficking ?
edit on 9-5-2013 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

With $10k you could probably buy used or rent the appropriate machining/milling tools to make a really decent stainless steel,aluminum, or cast iron firearm that would be much more deadly.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

Nah I could actually go to lowes and an automotive store and for roughly $20 build a perfectly working zip gun that shoots .22 all day long.

Or build a nice 1 shot shotgun

there are plenty of plans and youtube vids and websites that show you how to make super cheap, safe, homemade guns that works just fine and can be made in hours with household tools and parts you can buy at walmart.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Nice find op, S n F for you!

Meh, it is too late for them to scrub it from the net, it is already going around the darknet, they cant scrub the entire net, just the couple of % that is using the DNS registry system.

Most people who have even a fundamental understanding of the actual net will find it easily enough if they want it, this is a stop gap measure so they can say they are doing something, nothing more.

It is impossible to suppress any data that leaks out, there are to many resources to monitor or even try to police.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's not about the gun, it's about the controlling of information, I don't agree with that

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
It's not about the gun, it's about the controlling of information, I don't agree with that

ROFL
no need to worry about that, the attempt to censor FAILED HARD
i've seen 5 torrents on just a single site
all the files wrapped up in a zip.

and thanks 4 the heads up
almost didn't get my copy

but that's been remedied now
edit on 9-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
Thats okay they are still available at many places the GOV has no control over.. I got my copy also,in case I ever get my hands on a $10k 3d printer I can print me out a gun to blow my hands up!

YAH!

LOL, back when I thought the same about the Glock and other polymers, I was even a bit nervous about my first sig sauer....err browning BDA (aluminum frame) as I was used to my 1911 steel weapon.
But after years and tens of thousands of rounds, I have no fear of polymer and actually to an extent prefer them.
In many ways, (ways that count) polymers are superior to metals.
I sure am glad I got my copies of the cads and can't wait to get my own 3D printer.
Just like other tech appliances, the price should be affordable soon.
There are DIY plans for a 3DP construction of about 400 US.
Good things.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Headline is a sensationalist lie, of course.

The files were taken down by the designer himself, after a request from the U.S. Department of Defense.

The files have not been "scrubbed" from the internet and are available in multiple other places.

I only tell you this, for ATS users too lazy to read the article and are just outbursting after reading the headline and thread title.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

Originally posted by HomerinNC

ROFL
no need to worry about that, the attempt to censor FAILED HARD
i've seen 5 torrents on just a single site
all the files wrapped up in a zip.

and thanks 4 the heads up
almost didn't get my copy

but that's been remedied now
edit on 9-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

Exactly!!!

This info is the epitome of pandoras box, it has already been opened, there is no putting the genie back in the bottle now.

They don't have a chance in hell of stopping its distro now that it has hit the net, that file was on 100 servers in the first 8 mins easy

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have a funny hunch that a lot of people who downloaded the program are going to get put on a naughty list. I'd never be stupid enough to download that. I am sure Homeland Security and the FBI has every IP address that downloaded it.

I was hoping that the government would take it down. We don't need kids getting access to guns that could blow up in their faces. I bet there will be someone watching the firing pin sales. The places that sell the pins may be FBI plants. Most handguns are regulated in the states, it is a felony to have a handgun even if it is made of plastic without the proper paperwork, Some antique guns are excluded from these laws.

I think I may be reading a few too many conspiracy theories

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I have a funny hunch that a lot of people who downloaded the program are going to get put on a naughty list. I'd never be stupid enough to download that. I am sure Homeland Security and the FBI has every IP address that downloaded it.

I was hoping that the government would take it down. We don't need kids getting access to guns that could blow up in their faces. I bet there will be someone watching the firing pin sales. The places that sell the pins may be FBI plants. Most handguns are regulated in the states, it is a felony to have a handgun even if it is made of plastic without the proper paperwork, Some antique guns are excluded from these laws.

I think I may be reading a few too many conspiracy theories

They dont have my ip.

The pins you refer to are nails you can buy anywhere so unless the gov is going to start tracking all sales of nails I think people will be safe.

You were hoping the gov would take away freedom of speech and keep people from exercising their 1st amendment rights? I am sad for you bro, why are you even on this site?

If you did some research about this gun its completely legal to make and fire in most states including texas which is where the guy who made it lives. No special paperwork needed as long as you don't sell it to anywhere and it just for you to use.

Anyone who makes their own gun out of anything is taking a risk that is theirs to take because they are adults and are suppose to live in the USA which is a free country or at least is supposed to be, and can do things out of free will.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I explained the "blowing up" thing above, something would have to go HORRIBLY wrong with the 2 inch barrel piece for that to happen though.
These things are as safe to operate as a breach break shotgun.
And the firing pins can be made from a simple nail with minimal skill.
(Edit)

And as far as that list goes, I'd rather just be the grey man in all of this sensationalism.
Plus I'm in pretty good company.
If I were one of the Nazi's I'd be looking for the squeaky clean guy.
edit on 9-5-2013 by g146541 because: bizarro world.

(Further edit)
Thinking about this gun, knowing the polymer will be a standard pellet polymer, I would love to test it using MAX loads as well as double charges and ABOVE!!!
Iraqveteran8888 I think is the youtube channel but, they did this with a 9mm Hi Point pistol SEVERAL tests were done to the gun.
Finally they got a catastrophic failure when they C-clamped a bolt in the barrel with a double charge and a barrel full of powder!!!!!
I wonder how well the "Liberator" pistol design will do, I can't wait to see someone try this, well if I don't myself.
And if you destroy the gun, no biggie as another 50 bucks in polymer gets you a new one!!
edit on 9-5-2013 by g146541 because: rambling on...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

So you have actually shot one of these guns and know it is safe? I wouldn't believe they were safe just because I heard it on the net. I've seen a metal barrel blow up on a gun.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You know, advocating untraceable, easily destroyed firearms doesn't really help convince people of your pro gun stance. Just saying...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by g146541

So you have actually shot one of these guns and know it is safe? I wouldn't believe they were safe just because I heard it on the net. I've seen a metal barrel blow up on a gun.

Not yet, I must wrangle up a printer first.
But given the thickness of the barrel and the fact it is stock a 380 acp, I'd feel pretty dern safe.
I too have seen blown up guns and been there to witness it, it was always due to a double load or an obstruction.
Astronomical chances on both, even in steel guns.
Considering the barrel is only 2 inches long, we can pretty much rule out obstruction if you have eyes, even old blurry eyes would suffice.

On a side note:...
This same gun could be lengthened and made into a legal shotgun or any caliber you could want.
I probably wouldn't make a 50 bmg out of it though.

Star to ya though, for your concerns.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Quick we should round up all the books with "dangerous" Knowledge in them and ban them, no wait we should burn them!!

Sorry forgot what country I lived in, thought I was in prewar Germany for a moment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join