It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Abuse Ad Shows Hidden Message for Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

The ad visible to adults, or people over 4-foot-4, shows a child’s face and a message that says, “Sometimes, child abuse is only visible to the child suffering it.”

But under 4-foot-4, the image shows the bruises on the child’s face and a bloody lip. A secret message appears that says, “If somebody hurts you, phone us and we’ll help you,” and a phone number is listed. The tip line is anonymous and confidential, according to the YouTube video.

So I have mixed feeling about this. I think this is a good idea on one hand because of the way it is being presented, to let children know abuse is not ok, and to call. Especially helpful if the adult with them is the abuser... but it seems like sinister things trying to gain support under the guise of 'helping the children' are often supported.
This could be a slippery slope, It could be used for solicitation of kids, mostly unnoticed by adults, or even worse. I just don't know if this is my conspiracy mind questioning this, or if it is a valid concern. What do yall think?
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

As a survivor - I'm fine with the ad. Child abuse; emotional, physical, psychological or sexual is a massively under reported problem, and the children who suffer it are often completely isolated and alone in their survival of it. I have children of my own now, and I am fine with children their age having more options than we did.

For me - pretending that the problem isn't as bad as all that - is far worse a slippery slope than any ad could ever be.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

As a father whos children were abused by the hands of an ex's boyfriend, I am in favor of it.

Child Abuse is the worst type of crime.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I agree child abuser and molesters are the scum of the world. And like I said, on one side, I see this as a good thing, but on the other , I could see how it could go wrong applied in different situations. It's just a lenticular design, which is nothing new, but the fact it is targeted to kids just alarms me. I could see this idea being used for some ulterior motive.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Fair enough, but I think any such ad displaying an ulterior motive such as you describe would be quickly found out and displayed all over the Internet as soon as it was discovered. Time will tell, I guess, because the cat is already out of the bag.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm a bit mixed also. I like this particular use. I can see sinister uses for this though. Can you imagine if there were signs unknown to adults that directed kids into harms way at say a mall or amusement park? Thats kinda spooky

new topics

top topics

join