It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Food, Hardtack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.instructables.com...

I found this a while back and I am going to try to make some and see how it is. I am wondering if anyone else has made it and I am also wondering if anyone has tried to add protein powder into it so that when you are eating it that you could get your daily protein from like a 2"x2" piece.

Or any other recipes for food that you can make at home that would give you all your dietary needs or at least a good amount of them, that will also last a long time. People say this Hardtack can last pretty much forever if its kept dry.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. I made homemade butter today

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Reading Civil War letters and personal accounts, it seemed this was something that the Confederate soldiers ate often. It seems to have been their primary source of nutrition for much of the war, considering they were undersupplied, unlike the Union forces which rarely if ever went hungry. I have even read accounts of the soldiers having to soak these biscuits in coffee, which both softened them, and caused the weevils to float to the top. They would sometimes make stew out of them, because attempting to eat them was so very difficult.

Here is a joke I remember reading in a Civil War related book some time ago: A sergeant goes up to some soldiers and said "Boys, I was eating hardtack the other day, and I bit into something soft. What do you think it was?" And they gave some wrong answers, then the sergeant says, "No, by God, it was a tenpenny nail." So there is a joke for you guys from the 1860's, lol.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I've made it with success both in my bakery and on a rock by the river while fishing.

See my signature for a link to survival breads and you'll find a lot of great info from a lot of great members.

Peace

top topics

join