It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is losing it's roots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
What happened to ATS members posting threads about conspiracy theories? What happened to ATS actually being a conspiracy site? Everywhere you go on the site, all you have is news, news, and more news. I barely even see any conspiracy topics anymore. It's almost as if conspiracy threads are frowned upon.

ATS used to be a place of many conspiracy theories, now it's a place of news, and non-conspiracy theorists, or "sane, logical people", as they like to call themselves. You open up a conspiracy thread, you get attacked by people who don't share your beliefs. I remember a time when members actually contributed to the threads, instead of attacking the posters. Every UFO video has been debunked to death by crazy, but "Earthly" explanations, and I barely see any speculating any more. It feels as though this is turning into a news site. I'm not attacking ATS, or it's staff, I just want ATS to go back to it's roots.

It seems that ATS is being flooded with new members that try their best to defend the government. There needs to be a balance, or else ATS will just become another news site. Too many non-conspiracy theorists will turn ATS into just another site where you can talk to friends, and too many conspiracy theorists will turn ATS into a crazy place, but just the right amount of two is what kept this site going for so many years.

I hope ATS will be brought back to it's roots. I'm not saying the site is bad, it's still pretty good, but if things continue going like they are, ATS will be lost.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I personally like the diversity on ATS, a thread about "mysterious discoveries", to be frank, is WAY more interesting to me than the 2000th stupid conspiracy thread about how the gvt is up to get you.

I can not agree with you that this site lost balance, in fact I can find PLENTY of silly theories/conspiracies on this site and I also do not think there are "many pro government" people on the site, on the contrary

I am not sure what "the roots" are in your opinion, since in my own opinion "the roots" were once good UFO and similar theories, NOT government and "Omg they take our guns!!" threads. In fact, such themes imho what once were the roots (GOOD debates about fringe subjects like UFOs etc.) are getting less and there are too many politics etc. threads. I myself don't think this mixture doing well because the influx of your standard "OMG they take our guns!" people (IN MY OPINION) brings down the overall quality of the site - but then again, as said, I dont mind the diversity of subjects.

* To clarify: The problem here is that "general" conspiracy themes like gun/politics attract people who OTHERWISE are not very knowledgeable about subjects such as UFOs or science and other more specialized subjects...and too many topics are just emotionally/political motivated and otherwise have no substance. (As, say, opposed to a site where one would think there are more people who are knowledgeable and 'educated' on specific subjects like "UFO research" but which is otherwise free of political/emotional motivated visitors and opinions. Somehow, this mix is contra-productive - but it is/was not my decision to make the site how it is today). I think, at some point, the site owners simply thought its better to make it a more general "conspiracy" site.
edit on 9-5-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

In all fairness, 'be the change you want to see'. Threads on New Topics frequently have 1+ hour exposure times in the short list. That tells me that anyone can post anything they'd like and it's got a good amount of time to be seen as often as not.

* I'd also ask for some good 'fishing holes' to find interesting topics that haven't been done a gazillion times. There are only so many Oswald/Kennedy or Flying Triangle threads anyone can do before those don't even get opened for the -yawn- factor. Point folks like me to some promising spots to check and I assure ya, there will be things appear here as they appear there.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Partisan politics.... Every issue is guided by people that see nearly everything from a partisan perspective, too many are losing and have lost the ability to think independently, objectively, and with an open mind, most are too far gone now. It's a shame really.

There are important events and real conspiracies that are being lost in the partisan debate.

You are either in one herd or the other here now, and even when you're not, someone will put you in one, and if you're too good, you must be a shill, a paid activist etc.

Welcome to the new ATS, choose your herd well.

link   
This forum has become infested with Obama haters, there's hardly any conspiracy or other interesting posts anymore.

link   

ATS used to be a place of many conspiracy theories, now it's a place of news, and non-conspiracy theorists, or "sane, logical people", as they like to call themselves. You open up a conspiracy thread, you get attacked by people who don't share your beliefs. I remember a time when members actually contributed to the threads, instead of attacking the posters. Every UFO video has been debunked to death by crazy, but "Earthly" explanations, and I barely see any speculating any more.

That's why a lot of members don't bother making threads anymore, I figure.
It takes a lot of energy to babysit a thread and constantly defend yourself.
I've read some threads that might have been more interesting if it wasn't for pages and pages of people putting down the op.

People are very argumentive these days, and very judgemental. Too quick to tell people they need a shrink

There are some really nice people here, but some real bullies too.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I enjoy perusing a wide-variety of topics on ATS, though it never ceases to amaze me to encounter those who get indignant or offended by conspiracy topics on ATS, as if they were expecting "Ladies Home Journal" subject matter or something.

If you don't like conspiracy theories go to a different website, and if you want to debate such try to do it without all the negativity and negative connotations that are common and that are even seen in the 2nd post in this thread. Words like "silly" and "stupid".

"Silly" and "stupid" is someone coming to ATS and calling conspiracy topics "silly" and "stupid".

edit on 9-5-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
ATS has lost its luster for me in many ways..

I rarely comment anymore for many reasons I won't go into.

For whatever reason, it is just not the same anymore.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Check this one....www.abovetopsecret.com... I'm waiting 4 a response.

edit on 9-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
HEY LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!!!

There is ZERO lack of new members saying things are not like they "used" to be...while ATS has remained pretty much the same since 2006 in my memory.

Same great site, same user generated content, SAME NEWS LINKS, same people posting conspiracy and non-conspiracy alike...

But mostly...THE SAME POINTLESS argument surfacing every single month since 2006...that ATS has changed.

I always find it funny really. I remeber members who were here for years before you arrived saying they left cus things changed...yet here you are saying things have changed years after they said it changed...meaning, you were happy with the changes they "say they saw" when you arrived...but now you are not.

Meaning...a new member today will think the site is awesome, BUT MAY say a yer from now...stuff has changed...bad.

Look..stop. YOU and anyone posting this sort of thinking is totally wrong. And really, if you have an issue with the content...please...PLEASE...post for us what YOU find to be the content ATS needs best.

Yknow...unless you want to trust others to make "changes" for you.

You are wrong...this style of thinking is typical and been around since the early days of this site...and it is always some new guy saying stuff as if they know.

Its...just...not cool bro.

Hugs.

PS-I love ATS. There is NO CHANGE in a platform that "allows user made content". There is only a "majority of things I do not care to read" and a few "diamonds in the ruff that I can not live without and return daily to dig through". AS ALWAYS.

Think it over...

MM
edit on 9-5-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Fortunately, I think ATS is here to stay. And I understand what you're saying.

But I enjoy ATS as a News site, probably more than I would if it were a strictly Conspiracy based website.

I like the fact that for the most part, you can rely on a majority the members here to filter through what can be considered useful information, as opposed to what isn't. On the other hand, I still partially view ATS as a conspiracy website... there are enough 'theories' posted everyday, serving as a constant reminder.

But what I'm saying is... I'm sure ATS will continue stay on top of any and all theories. Also, what's a conspiracy without the News? I mean, listen... we need a 'plot' before we can start exposing our reptilian overlords, and their master plan to take over the world.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I agree OP. It's too much some days just watching new members post one liners or none at all with just a link and "What say you ATS?". Not even a comment from the OP.

And then those days with every 3rd thread about religion....Really?

I've been starting a lot less threads on certain topics these days because as someone said, it's too much energy to defend myself rather than discuss the topic at hand.

Peace

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

All the UFO videos posted are rubbish, by the same hoaxers on Youtube over and over again. Just because some may want to live in a fantasy world, and believe every cgi video, balloon, plane, chinese lantern, bird or other earthly thing is a UFO being flown by aliens doesnt mean everyone else on here wants to see this turn into GLP.

If you want to discuss cgi videos that you think are real, maybe this isnt the place to do it. There are a lot of clever people on here who are not fooled by After Effects effects, photoshopped objects and bs being pushed by people who either dont understand what they are looking at or are intentionally making videos for other purposes...$$$$. We point it out, you may not like it but the motto is "deny ignorance" and thats what some of us do. Its free education.

Many of the other conspiracies are made up by people wanting to either look clever (but fail) or people wanting to make money from people...its that simple. Like the Boston bombing for example, many if not all of the conspiracies have been debunked, yet certain people will not accept any evidence...no matter how damning in proof.

There are some really good conspiracies, but they are few and far between nowadays. Not everything is a conspiracy...but it has become a huge business worth billions worldwide.

If by losing its roots you mean more people are seeing these conspiracies for what they are (bs) thats a good thing. If everyone were just to agree, what good would that do? Even more people would be going crazy thinking aliens, god, demons, spirits, shadow people, black eyed kids, government, fema etc etc was out to get them.

Im guilty of ruining this site with my way of thinking, i know, shame on me

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Why am I not allowed to star the replies on this thread? Talk about a smurfing conspiracy!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

I just got a weird deju vu when they moved it to "board issues".

Same type of thread. I think they 404ed the one I'm thinking of....

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Why must there always be a conspiracy? Why must one always have to made?

It's that kind of thinking...

Just because this is a conspiracy site doesn't mean people should be grasping at straws and manufacturing them. That's just stupid.

When people like that have their ways, they start saying the Sandy Hook incident was fixed and the same for the Boston Marathon bombings.

I mean, seriously - get a grip. Any EVEN IF every single one of these ridiculous conspiracy theories were true, like anyone is really going to do anything about it besides complain online. Please.

I liked this place when people denied ignorance and used discernment. Now, it's a joke here, and I have to count down from 10 most of the times I even visit this site and see the herd mentality and hypocrisy.

Nope, ATS isn't what it used to be.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

I just got a weird deju vu when they moved it to "board issues".

Same type of thread. I think they 404ed the one I'm thinking of....

2 funnie! How can 'they' 404 ur thought?

Hey...wait...can they do that?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I posted a thread somewhat similar, yet dissimilar. Too many people are using tasteless language that should not be tolerated by the T & C's. My post got deleted. It was considered an attack on ATS members by a particular mod. Mind you, another mod was involved positively with my thread. ???? I feel your anguish.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Temporarily change the motto to: Deny the herds

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

2 funnie! How can 'they' 404 ur thought?

Hey...wait...can they do that?

Be afraid.
Be very afraid......

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join