It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duncanville student gets mad at teacher (great video)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I just left the teaching profession. I was in a school where I was told that a "Real Teacher" would just pass out worksheets and not ask the students to think, give their opinion, or have to answer questions:“Just tell us so we can write down the answer”. Socrates would be spining in his grave. The problem is that so many teacher are lectures and not guides. One of my principals use to say "If I have to die, I hope that it is in a lecture; that way I would not notice”. I would love to have 1000 students like this young man rather than the worksheet technicians we train everyday in the classrooms. I have over 20 years experience in the classroom and I say that more students need to stand up and demand that they get a real education. If a teacher has not earned the respect of their students by doing the job than they shouldn't presume to have that respect. In that video, I was most distrubed that the students were doing a worksheet while the person payed to teach was sitting behind her desk; doing whatever. Where was the teacher?
A teacher is a person who has not just learned their subject, but also learned to make their subject interesting and exciting to their students. I teach Latin. My class would start each day with a student lead discussion about current events and anything simular that had happen during Roman times and how their culture felt about it. Student would look things up to talk about. They came to school excited to add something to the discussion and were also happy to have their opinion respected. I mention this not to blow my own horn, but rather to point out that any subject, even a 2000 year old “dead” language can be made interesting. You do not force students to learn; you place it out there and make them want to open the box to see what is in it. Or a more common example "you pull a rope to you, not push with one".
My final statement it that worksheets are busy work that show the students that education is not important enough to the teacher to put any effort into it; so why should they? Mark Twain said,”I never let my schooling interfere with my education” and “For practice God made idiots then he made school boards”

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
He does have a good point though. Plenty of lazy arsed teachers that only put time in on the clock for tenure and that future pension and don't really teach. And since they don't do much to rock the boat or rub anyone the wrong way, they'll be pretty safe thanks to the teacher's union. (I even remember a few like that when I was in school, so it's defintely not a new problem.)

A good teacher would offer to help out students if they ask for it, even if it is a study hall or material review period. The really good teachers would also get the students that already know the material (likely taking a nap or doing another classes homework) to help tutor their classmates. At least that way the class is more productive when it comes to teaching a particular subject.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by s16constellation
This guy clearly needs a haircut

Why? To look like everyone else?

He is being who he want's to be.

Different.

Even his attitude is .... different.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
That classroom was a mess. The teacher seems lazy. What is the proper procedure for students to complain about their teachers performance? Obviously the complaining student knows a standard, and they are all in a digital world where they can voice complaints. The place is a vegetable garden and those students may as well be senile old men and women in a nursing home with the way they are stuck at their desks. Depressing. After 4 years of that how much gloomier can their college be?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Those that can't do,teach. Those that can't teach, teach Physical Education

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCloud
reply to post by Casualboy100

You really had to post the same thing 3 times in a row to 3 different people? Yes even I did this as a kid, but when its filmed and the whole world can see it then it is open to a wider audience to see. Not just the 15-20kids and the teacher in that classroom. The kids in the classes where this has happened are probably not really paying much attention as its a teacher and student arguing and all they are thinking is "this kids going to the principal". Once on film and everyone can see it students, parents, teachers, etc its open to a wider audience. He even says he is not a hero in another interview.

I agree with you man, what is casualboy's problem? You can tell he is still just a young kid, adults don't behave the way he was. Posting over and over again that other kids also speak out about bad teachers? Well... duh. Nobody said the kid in the video was the first one ever to figure out that many teachers are worthless. Casualboy sounded kind of like a little kid having a hissy fit. Maybe sissy fit would be more appropriate.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by gladtobehere

something similar happened to me years ago, i was also told that "you should have expressed your feelings in a more appropriate way".

a more "appropriate" expression in their eyes would have been writing a letter that would promptly be thrown in the trash with a "we appreciate your concern" reply.

Yep, when any governmental or bureaucratic entity says "more appropriate" they mean "more easy to ignore"

They want us all to sit down and shut up, anything else is deemed inappropriate.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good, glad this video went viral. The kids won't be motivated to learn, if the teachers aren't motivated to teach. Apparently, her lack of motivation to teach was enough for a student to expose it to her face. GOOD.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

I admire the heck out this kid, for standing up for what he believes to be right, and for schooling that teacher.

Obviously we didn't see the whole scenario play out but i don't think he was being disrespectful at all.

It disrupted the class sure, but in this case, i think that was a good thing!

Seeing this kid speak out with the passion he had, gave me a glimmer of hope for the future generation.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Has anyone told him he's white yet?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralChaos

"Don't try to take credibility for teachin' me jack"

yup, says it all right there.

I don't blame him mind you because.....well, this is where he is getting his ejumacation so it only stands to reason that he aint gunna no how to talk good.

edit to add: I have, and have ALWAYS had a scorching case of ADD and I WAS that kid!
Now, I am that adult.

Some people can NOT learn by sitting in a classroom period! Much less, sitting in a classroom and trying to digest a packet of papers handed out to you at the beginning of class. I am 40 years old and just now figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. And guess what?

It isn't something I learned in a classroom nor is it something I could have learned in a classroom.

edit on 9-5-2013 by GeneralChaos because: (no reason given)

Devil's advocate: what if his true audience wasn't the teacher. Talking as the majority do is what makes me think this kids aim was to point out something to his classmates. His. Voice and change of words (his register) only seems to change toward the end when he seems to be specifically addressing the teacher. The rest was worded in the speech of his peer group .

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This guy hit the nail on the head. I feel exactly like him. I'm in my senior year of high school and it's just worksheets and packets day after day, with some tests thrown in here and there. He said it perfectly too, if anyone was being disrespectful it was the teacher with her little comments like "Hmm...hmm...ok" and "You're just wasting my time." Wasting HER time? Sounds like the opposite to me.

I was reading somewhere yesterday that the teacher has been suspended with pay. So, she's pretty much on a vacation. Getting paid and this time she doesn't even have to show up for class!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

"Don't try to take CREDABILITY for teachin' me jack" isn't using the language of his peers.
It is using a completely inappropriate word which makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the sentence.

Now, if he would have said "don't try to take CREDIT for teachin' me jack" then that would have been different.

The point is,
the education is clearly lacking and people like this teacher are part of the problem.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Point taken, I see that there may be people out there who just can't concentrate and may have what is called ADD or ADHD. I also believe though, that it is used too much. I don't believe that everyone who is given drugs for it has ADD or needs drugs to control it. I have a real problem with prescribing children narcotics. I have a stepson who was on Adderall who told me he only accepted it so they would stop giving him different drug cocktails. He's since gotten off of it, and is no worse than he was before.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
this is great, you can tell the teacher does not care what he has to say. should have seen some of my teachers.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

I'm saying that people are saying he's a special because he's the only one. He's not the only person who does it so I don't think people should just assume him as special

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join