It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone have any insight on the dream world/reaching trance states?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have on a few occasions accidentally into a trance state. I've had a few insights that have been incredibly helpful for me. at the same time, whenever I meditate I find that I cannot 'get there'. I just fall asleep, or I get nothing.

I really believe deep meditation is vital for my human spirit. By spirit, I mean well-being. I believe there is a lot we can learn by contacting other planes, or just more deeply experiencing our dreams.

maybe someone can give me some ideas about this. I generally lie flat and do deep breathing with my eyes closed. I can't seem to get anything useful out of it, but it happens spontaneously sometimes.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think you have to give yourself an auto suggestion, that when you go to the "dream state" that you will be aware. It gives a bit of a hypnotic nudge. There is something else operating as well, almost like the timing of the astral gates being open or not. If you do it every night your bound to hit it over time.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DarwinVsJesus

Emanuel Swedenborg is said to have used the gleam from silver to trigger his visions. People that discover that they have an aptitude for trance usually stumble upon it somehow, as you have done. Because folks come to the knowledge from their own inner world and not from without, the methods for getting there are as varied as the people that have the knack. Some people keep their way secret, and for good reason, but I'll tell you mine; I use a metronome.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"I generally lie flat"

That would be your main problem.
When you sit up, if you fall asleep, you fall over and wake yourself up

And if you do fall asleep while sitting up, you are generally to tired to accomplish anything anyway.
If you have a hard time sitting in a meditative position perhaps try a recliner chair to begin with.

Everyone's different with this sorta thing, just experiment and see what works for you. Some use Binural beats, Ambient music, shamanic drumming (all with good headphones), plants, or just going out into nature.

It takes alot of practice to be able to pull things of use from the dream world....
I think 20-30 minutes of meditation a day would do you more good for a while.
edit on 9-5-2013 by hoonsince89 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I have a few good ways I use. One way is that I take a long walk through the woods where I won't see any people. You will find that people block this state with their active minds. When you finally come out of the woods you will be scared of the humans if you were there long enough. Roads Cars Houses.. So strange..

Another one I do is that there is this buzz to everything. If you just listen to this buzz it will trance you out. If you don't know what I mean I can't help you. Trying to meditate or trying to get out of your body can help you hear it.

I have others but.. I think they are more personal to me and my silly brain.

If you can stand in Horse Stance for an hour then you can meditate into a trance quite easily. First time you try it if you are out of shape like me would be more like 5 minutes tops.

edit on 5/9/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hoonsince89

Yes you have a problem laying on your back, when you reach that totally relaxed state, the throat relaxes to such a point that you can wake up gagging, or just go to sleep which blows the whole thing, and even if you are asleep and you start snoring that will stuff it up as well. a recliner is a great idea! I'm pretty sure that if you download a free astronomical program called "Starcalc" and put in the nearest town to you as your local horizon. Then when you attempt the dream state, try and do it when Sagitarius is overhead about the time you go to bed. It goes back about an hour each night. The Psylab at Paulo Alto found this was the time that they got all their hits, Which incidentaly is when, The hum from the big bang is heard. I think this is why all the ancient sites are all aligned astronomicaly...but that's just my theory.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
You major problem is that you put yourself into a position for sleep. No meditation practice would suggest that position. You don't have to go the yoga route. Simply find a comfortable sitting position that you can maintain for about 20 minutes. Feet flat on the floor, hands in the lap. Second, have a mantra or thing to focus upon. I believe that a word, any two-syllable word will work. Start saying it out loud until it drops away and only your lips are moving. Eventually, you hear it only in your mind. It keeps the chatter at bay. If you go to sleep in even that position, sit on a cushion with no back support. That'll do it.

For myself, I have to watch the "chin-drop" as I call it. if my chin drops to touch my chest, that is a sleep state. Get that chin up and crank up your vocal mantra again. Eventually, you'll get it.

If you need direction, buy a book on doing TM, it ain't rocket science, and TM doesn't give you all of the mumble-jumbo some of the other practices do. It is not a religion.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Here's my suggestions:

1. Don't try before bed - Well okay, you can, but only if you plan on falling asleep. Now, if you were trying to attempt astral projection, then practicing before bed is a great time to do this.

2. Don't lay on your back - the problem I find with laying on my back is one of two things: Either my mouth dries out, or it stays wet enough that I have to swallow (technically, if you can ignore the sensation, then your body will automatically do this without bothering you - happens when you sleep). My problem with sitting up is after a while, I find it hard to focus on something other than keeping my back straight.

3. Use a chair that can lean back - This is the easiest for me, as it gives my back proper support, and I'm not in a "sleeping position".

4. Make yourself at home, and relax - You don't need binaural beats or hypnosis to do this - Because I'm a nature person at heart, I own a lot of CDs with nature sounds to help me relax. Play some music you're familiar with, adjust your clothing so that it doesn't irritate you, and take a couple minutes to relax various parts of your body.

5. Before all of this, give yourself a purpose for attempting the trance - Before I do it, I write down a list of thoughts or questions that I would like to find an answer to - after my session, I record any thoughts that came to mind, and usually the answer to my question is right there.

-fosilera

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonentity
I think you have to give yourself an auto suggestion, that when you go to the "dream state" that you will be aware. It gives a bit of a hypnotic nudge.

Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.

Didn't work.

Darryl Forests

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forests

Originally posted by anonentity
I think you have to give yourself an auto suggestion, that when you go to the "dream state" that you will be aware. It gives a bit of a hypnotic nudge.

Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.Ferrari.

Didn't work.

Darryl Forests

my wife's father has a ferrari. They are terrifying automobiles. It's really sad that while her and I were struggling to buy food one week, he called and told her about his new ferrari that he paid *cash* for.

Anyway, music - I like ambient stuff. And I like steve roach. Incidentally, he has an album called "trance spirits" which is mostly tribal percussion. I have an extremely nice pair of headphones. If anyone is looking for a nice pair of headphones that will be excellent for all purposes, and you don't mind spending 200-300 dollars (worth it, these phones are literally unbreakable), Sennheiser HD-25 II-i is the way to go. I saved for a year for them, but totally worth it.

The reason I mention the headphones is that when I put on something like eluvium, or stars of the lid, or steve roach (all lossless, these phones caused me to re-rip all of my music to lossless) I do find that I am better able to get the feeling that I am the only thing in existence, if that makes sense. They are good for blocking out noise and sound good. So, since having them (i bought them because music is just very important to me. I'm a right-brain dominant person) I have had some better luck concentrating, but I never seem to get into those deep states I hear people describe.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fossilera

Here's my suggestions:

1. Don't try before bed - Well okay, you can, but only if you plan on falling asleep. Now, if you were trying to attempt astral projection, then practicing before bed is a great time to do this.

2. Don't lay on your back - the problem I find with laying on my back is one of two things: Either my mouth dries out, or it stays wet enough that I have to swallow (technically, if you can ignore the sensation, then your body will automatically do this without bothering you - happens when you sleep). My problem with sitting up is after a while, I find it hard to focus on something other than keeping my back straight.

3. Use a chair that can lean back - This is the easiest for me, as it gives my back proper support, and I'm not in a "sleeping position".

4. Make yourself at home, and relax - You don't need binaural beats or hypnosis to do this - Because I'm a nature person at heart, I own a lot of CDs with nature sounds to help me relax. Play some music you're familiar with, adjust your clothing so that it doesn't irritate you, and take a couple minutes to relax various parts of your body.

5. Before all of this, give yourself a purpose for attempting the trance - Before I do it, I write down a list of thoughts or questions that I would like to find an answer to - after my session, I record any thoughts that came to mind, and usually the answer to my question is right there.

-fosilera

Nature sounds? What about something like this www.youtube.com...

very serene, with songbirds calling. I happen to feel a deep connection to birds. Another thing about music - I tend to also listen to "funeral doom metal" which can be quite gloomy (case in point, my favorite band of this genre is called "mournful congregation". The music is really quite beautiful and expressive. They make the guitars really 'cry out' but is this too much negativity?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarwinVsJesus

Nature sounds? What about something like this www.youtube.com...

very serene, with songbirds calling. I happen to feel a deep connection to birds. Another thing about music - I tend to also listen to "funeral doom metal" which can be quite gloomy (case in point, my favorite band of this genre is called "mournful congregation". The music is really quite beautiful and expressive. They make the guitars really 'cry out' but is this too much negativity?

It's only negative if you think it is - It should help you relax as long as you enjoy listening to it

I listen to a lot of stuff from here : www.extrememusic.com... . You can only listen to it online, but I've found every genre of music on there so far.

new topics

top topics

join