It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Sad Truth.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
"There's one sad truth in life I've found while journeying east and west. The only folks we really wound are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know. We please the fleeting guest. And deal full many a thoughtless blow to those who love us best."

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1850-1919, Author and Poet

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thankfully, it's also very funny!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

“Isn't it ironic . . . we ignore those who adore us, adore those who ignore us, hurt those who love us, and love those who hurt us." - Ellen Hopkins

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Entry from an alien's encyclopedia:

Homo sapiens - also known as human beings, are the most intelligent and most stupid of the primates. Humans are characterized by a general lack of common sense and objectivity, confused priorities, sudden waves of irrational emotion, and susceptibility to brainwashing.

Yeah, we're silly sometimes aren't we. =P
edit on 9-5-2013 by TheFriendlyDragon because: no reason

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

It all comes down to complacency. We get comfortable with our loved ones and treat them like equals or as an extension of self. We take them for granted because they've seen us at our worst, yet persist in loving us.

Strangers, on the other hand, must receive a good impression. They don't know anything about us other than the false persona we choose to share. We pretend to always be our best, because they will never see us at our worst.

We hurt and are hurt by those we love because we think we know them as we think we know ourselves.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
And ultimately, we hurt ourselves the most because it is us who has to live with us until the day we die.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's absurd.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
"There's one sad truth in life I've found while journeying east and west. The only folks we really wound are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know. We please the fleeting guest. And deal full many a thoughtless blow to those who love us best."

With strangers we have no personal knowledge of this individual, and with that comes (without the family INTIMATE dynamic) a boundry of unknowing; as in what is/could be this potencial a hair/bear trap trigger and could I possibly orchestrate my own psychic suicide? If it happens I can still rebound as they were JUST playthings. Family is safe and for whatever reason test that bond; knowing a killing will not be the easy result, near impossible. It is funny.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

With strangers we have no personal knowledge of this individual, and with that comes (without the family INTIMATE dynamic) a boundry of unknowing; as in what is/could be this potencial a hair/bear trap trigger and could I possibly orchestrate my own psychic suicide? If it happens I can still rebound as they were JUST playthings. Family is safe and for whatever reason test that bond; knowing a killing will not be the easy result, near impossible. It is funny.

I think much of it arises from family of origin issues, where the reframe ought to be one where we recognize the brotherhood of man ie: that we're all one family.

I am reminded here of the Parable of the Good Samaritan. Love God above all and neighbor as self, but who is my neighbor? Jesus - any man, and the one who has eternal life is the one who is moved to compassion for the stranger.

"Even as you did it unto the least of my brothers, you did it unto me."

Which still leaves the issue of why we treat those we love and who love us badly, probably because we think we can get away with it and/or because being closest to us we find it unnerving, such intimate boundaries which leads to people pushing the other's buttons.

Better to have no buttons that can be pushed then, which removes the need to push other's buttons no matter who they are and in the process generate the new, open, and forgiven, merciful space of all new possibility for better and more authentic human interpersonal relations, starting with the family of origin and including our own family, friends, and working our way out from there.

Somewhere here in the midst of this predicament and ridiculous absurdity, there's a turning point threshold and fulcrum of love capable of altering the course of things, both for ourselves and those who are near and dear to us, and emanating therefrom.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You find this "absurd," and "thankfully, funny?"
And you portray yourself as a Christian?
I have found much profound in things you have written in the past. You have totally lost me here. Not that it matters in any way. I have a sense of humor about myself, quite a bit. But an appetite for destruction for others in the world, and for ourselves, and your portrayal of this, totally blows me away. Good luck with that. Glad you find this humorous, for at least you will laugh while others are in pain.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You don't find it to be rather ridiculous and absurd?

It's in the realization and recognition of it's absurdity, in the awareness of it, that it becomes humorous in hindsight.

Poor communication on my part, but it's true that in some of the saddest things, because of my faith in God that I can also find the humor and the joy in it, without caving into a ball of grievances at the absurdities of the injustices and human indignities.

In other words - the one sad truth isn't ALL sad, once we see it and recognize it for what it is.

So I'm talking about the overcoming of it, which starts with ourselves and our own interpersonal relationships where we are responsible and at-cause.

If I wasn't a Christian why then there would be no joy and laughter at it's absurdity, by comparison to the love we ought to hold for one another as one human family.

No bad news is ALL BAD, once it's understood and re-cognized in the light of truth.

Hope that helps..

Best Regards,

NAM

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

I think much of it arises from family of origin issues, where the reframe ought to be one where we recognize the brotherhood of man ie: that we're all one family.

I am reminded here of the Parable of the Good Samaritan. Love God above all and neighbor as self, but who is my neighbor? Jesus - any man, and the one who has eternal life is the one who is moved to compassion for the stranger.

"Even as you did it unto the least of my brothers, you did it unto me."

Which still leaves the issue of why we treat those we love and who love us badly, probably because we think we can get away with it and/or because being closest to us we find it unnerving, such intimate boundaries which leads to people pushing the other's buttons.

Better to have no buttons that can be pushed then, which removes the need to push other's buttons no matter who they are and in the process generate the new, open, and forgiven, merciful space of all new possibility for better and more authentic human interpersonal relations, starting with the family of origin and including our own family, friends, and working our way out from there.

Somewhere here in the midst of this predicament and ridiculous absurdity, there's a turning point threshold and fulcrum of love capable of altering the course of things, both for ourselves and those who are near and dear to us, and emanating therefrom.

We travel with our same family for 1000s of years learning as/in a life process ourselves. In one lifetime you play the father, in another the daughter. The family pact as a being is trying to (in group form understand the individual souls purpose). Its a Posse, when you bind with like souls, starting with your own DNA family you have a better chance to progress than random hook ups again and again with inlaws or devisive forces. It starts with the core family; as an example: Mary, Ann, David, the Magdelene, John, James, Jesus.
edit on 9-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You find this "absurd," and "thankfully, funny?" And you portray yourself as a Christian? I have found much profound in things you have written in the past. You have totally lost me here. Not that it matters in any way. I have a sense of humor about myself, quite a bit. But an appetite for destruction for others in the world, and for ourselves, and your portrayal of this, totally blows me away. Good luck with that. Glad you find this humorous, for at least you will laugh while others are in pain.

When I read the OP I said to myself, "Watch how NAM transforms this into something religious," and he didn't fail me. What he, and all other religious people, completely refuses to acknowledge is the natural limits of what the human animal is capable of. We simply aren't designed to pour out and live in 'love' every minute of every day of our entire lives. We're just not built that way.

If there is any animal capable of this it's the family dog. No matter how many times the owner leaves the house, his dog will always be ready to greet him with tail-wagging joy. The dog can do this all of it's life because it is designed to. But, WE CAN'T. It's not that we fail at this. It's not a flaw. It's just the way we naturally are.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

It's absurd.

There is a great deal of meaning and validity and irony to be learned from the absurdity and irony of life. But often, it is not something to find amusing, for that is to weaken its produndity. When the paradoxical nature is overcoming you so that you are so numb your only defense mechanism is to laugh, you must make some kind of change, get in something, some part of you that something else has hold of at that moment.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50

It's absurd.

There is a great deal of meaning and validity and irony to be learned from the absurdity and irony of life. But often, it is not something to find amusing, for that is to weaken its produndity. When the paradoxical nature is overcoming you so that you are so numb your only defense mechanism is to laugh, you must make some kind of change, get in something, some part of you that something else has hold of at that moment.

It is not numbness that causes laughter, it is realizing that life is funny - it is getting the joke!
Can you watch the play of light (Maya) without identifying?
edit on 10-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1850-1919, Author and Poet

I forwarded this to my wife. Looks like I'm sleeping in the garage tonight as proof that she loves me. Thanks.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I forwarded this to my wife. Looks like I'm sleeping in the garage tonight as proof that she loves me. Thanks.

You should throw out all of her cosmetic supplies as a demonstration of love in return.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

It's absurd.

It is not numbness that causes laughter, it is realizing that life is funny - it is getting the joke!
Can you watch the play of light (Maya) without identifying?
edit on 10-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Of course, I can watch that play of light, have all my life, and I do "get it....." but sometimes rather than bright, it only seems heartless......sorry, that was the moroseness taking over for me last night.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Of course, I can watch that play of light, have all my life, and I do "get it....." but sometimes rather than bright, it only seems heartless......sorry, that was the moroseness taking over for me last night.

It appears heartless when the thoughts speak and the thoughts are bought into.
The light is appearing presently - it can appear as thoughts that speak of other than this.
Is there anything wrong with right now........................unless you start thinking?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thanks OP for a thoughtful poem that will allow us to truly reflect and think in this self centred world we had been stupidly led to live in by our greedy past economic and political leaders.

Fortunately, there are many whom cared and had proven they can change to care.

Only the few exists that wish to continue their delusions and comfort of self centredness and hypocrisy, and attempt to change others to their view. Self centredness needs societal approbation, I guess.

We bow, kneel, scrape and grovel to our bosses, whom's intent is only to profit off us. We praise, cheer, and vote for celebrities who does not even appreciate our presence except as dollar signs, and yet, we treat our fellow human beings who cares for us, loved us, or need our help with disdain and indifferences......
edit on 10-5-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join