It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote for war and you register as a volunteer for the army.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey guys, did a search and didn't find anything on this subject, apologies if it has been. In 1916 an amendment was proposed for the Constitution, it stated this:

1916: all acts of war should be put to a national vote. Anyone voting yes had to register as a volunteer for service in the United States Army

It didn't pass but what do you all think?

I really don't know where to stand on it. Part of me feels like it would be a good idea so we wouldn't go marching into countries every time they have a problem. Another part of me feels like we would never get enough votes to intercede, even if it was warranted. I do however like the idea of a national vote, even if it seems a bit unrealistic.

Thoughts?

www.constitutionfacts.com...
edit on 9-5-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wish they'd make this mandatory for all of the politicians who vote for us to go to war. They sit around smoking their fat cigars while the nation's sons and daughters are sent off to die in their stupid wars.

If they were the ones putting their fat, worthless butts on the line whenever we went to war, world peace would be sure to break out.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I wish they'd make this mandatory for all of the politicians who vote for us to go to war. They sit around smoking their fat cigars while the nation's sons and daughters are sent off to die in their stupid wars.

If they were the ones putting their fat, worthless butts on the line whenever we went to war, world peace would be sure to break out.

That's a great part of it. People are always calling for war. Well if you want it we can have it, but you will get your hands dirty.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It should also state that any politician who votes for war should serve on the frontlines.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73
It should also state that any politician who votes for war should serve on the frontlines.

hahaha, if that was law, i have a funny feeling we would not have anymore wars.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

I think that would be a great idea! I also feel other legislation that directly affects the majority should be on the ballot. Too many politicians vote according to what corporations, lobbyist, or other outside government influences help them stay in office. I also think politicians shouldn't be allowed to make a career out of their political position. They should all have an 8 year term limit. The longer they stay in office the more powerful they become. The voice of the people has been swept under the rug.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Bad idea, know why???
We don't "march" anywhere anymore.
This sounds more like a lawmakers attempt at trying to get behind the controls of a drone.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Bad idea, know why???
We don't "march" anywhere anymore.
This sounds more like a lawmakers attempt at trying to get behind the controls of a drone.

Well there is always some service men involved, no matter how many airstrikes are utilized.

This was back in 1916 so no drones involved. However, you do come upon a interesting topic, how corruption in the voting could have affected wars, or how propaganda could have been heavily used to influence voting.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is just picking a nit, but how do you know that this story is true? The US Archivist doesn't list this amendment in his list, Wiki doesn't list it in theirs, I can't find anything but the simple claim in the OP.

Still, it's a great idea to discuss, I'm just trying to tie up a loose end.

new topics

top topics

join