It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The term 'sheeple' & It's negative connotations. Can we be grown up's now please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
**MODS: Please put this under a better subject term, my apologies i forgot to allocate one*

Iv'e held back from making this thread for a while now but i'm beginning to become alarmed about seeing this term being used all over the internet, especially the conspiracy sites.

So i present to you my rant:

Although i know it's impossible to be true, am i the only one who remembers joining the 'movement' after 9/11 to converse with grown up, responsible people, who respect the opinion and actions of others, so long as they do no harm? To peek into the rabbit hole and gasp at it's mysteries. To become wiser and more humane person than the day before.

'Divide et impera!' - Divide and conquer

The age old method used by civilisation after civilisation and dictator alike.

Most here in this community pride themselves on keeping far away from the paradigms of left and right, blue and red, anti or pro *insert*. These are the things that encourage division. We are free thinkers, boundless to world and it's labels. Instead in love with the world of science, technology and discovery.

Anyway... i digress.

Why has it become so popular and commonplace to segregate those who are still without such passion for truth? Why have we, the community, found it necessary to create our label for 'them' like they did for us. Does that really make us any better then them?

I am frankly shocked and appalled at this behavior, i have now see this disease spread and the senior members here and elsewhere i once looked up to, i now ignore.

We are adult men and woman, seeking the truth, can we not continue to encourage unity and oneness in the hope we may gather a further following? After all 'hate only breeds hate'.

You better damn well be certain were not going to win this unless we show we don't approve of our values being destroyed before us. There are still many more of 'them' then there are of us and frankly i welcome them into the 'club' with open arms.

So i ask you... Please be more considerate to those who are less fortunate then us. Do not give them fuel with which to burn us, only show them the respect of the community and there is at least a slim chance we shall receive it back

edit on 9-5-2013 by MongusePro because: Mods attention

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ah, phooey !

I like the connotation. Sheep . . . people . . . . "Sheeple".

I believe this site knows about them.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

Good to see the support stacking up * sarcasm off*.

Each to there own my friend.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

I've posted this a few times, but it is fitting of the topic.

It's unfortunate the word "sheeple" is now used in a derogatory sense, to insult people. That wasn't the original intent. At least from my perspective.

It simply designates those among us whose analytical and critical thinking skills have been lulled to sleep, and/or are undeveloped. They are operating on auto-pilot. As one of our X- highly esteemed members has said, it takes time and persistence to train ourselves to think critically. We are all "sheeple" to one degree or another.

'Divide et impera!' - Divide and conquer

The age old method used by civilisation after civilisation and dictator alike.

I think the word sheeple is fitting used respectfully and properly. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened. So maybe it's time to lay it to rest. You'll note, it's a word I seldom ever use in my posts, partially, for the very reasons you mentioned.

S&F.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hey! What's wrong with Sheeple!? (kidding, my avatar is tongue-in-cheek)

Not to turn this into a gun thread, but you know what's funny? A lot of guys that carry refer to themselves as "sheep dogs". Personally, I think it's ridiculous.

I wholeheartedly agree, the whole "sheeple" thing is burnt out and condescending, and a temporary condition for even the most die hard wuss.

There comes a point where the fangs come out in all of us.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Do not be offended my friend.

If we know "what" the term Sheeple represents, then we know typical characteristics referred to.
It is meant as a wake-up call.

In the past, one would say,"Are we men or are we mice ? Squeak up!"

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is the best term ever to describe a very large chunk of the American people...its the same ones that believe and agree with what CNN is telling them, and take what Wolf Blitzer says as the "word of god".

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Agreed although i'd prefer the term: we are all 'deaf and dumb' until we learn critical thinking. The words actually have meaning. I think having a linguist as a partner has made me into a word nazi of such, te he

I love that picture, it depicts a common occurrence when you try to discuss conspiracy with others, that's the usual result.

My only fear is that the latest generation of truth seekers are not at all seekers of the truth and just like the idea of supporting the club and bashing the other team.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Sorry i couldn't stop staring at your avatar long enough to concentrate on your words

jokes aside, i'm glad to see others share a similar opinion on the term. I just don't want to see the community inadvertently alienated anymore than it already is.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You believe that 'they' see 'you' as cattle; then you turn around and call 'those' that do not understand this "sheep", or, because you are really funny and want to flaunt how hip you are, you refer to 'them' as "sheeple"

Get off the fascism train people, you are the only ones left shoveling coal in it.

#

This is hilarious: you've got the ones that call people sheeple out of frustration and misplaced pride; and then you have the one's that see sheeple as a necessary naming convention so that super heroes like themselves know who to save.

Nothing like the annual ATS "Sheeple" thread. Glad I was logged in; this is going to get good.

edit on 9-5-2013 by Bybyots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Romeo1

I disagree, i think it's just become the latest in convenience, pre packaged term to describe those you have little respect for due to there conformity.

The majority of americans are undereducated death and dumb not 'sheeple'. Are they really fully to blame for this? You and i were once both death and dumb too, no?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

A big
to you kind sir.

"this is going to get good" - or it could just die a death as its not related to fear nor conspiracy but about kindness and respect... They seem to be dwindling little by little but fear certainly ins't.

Perhaps i should have chosen a shocking title in BOLD te he

edit on 9-5-2013 by MongusePro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I disagree, i think it's just become the latest in convenience, pre packaged term to describe those you have little respect for due to there conformity. The majority of americans are undereducated death and dumb not 'sheeple'. Are they really fully to blame for this? You and i were once both death and dumb too, no?

As much as I would like to make a new friend, I don't agree with you either. And I have just finished 750ml of blackl coffee and I'm not happy.

Not a single one of you will be useful to others until you learn to meet them exactly where they are. Do you even understand what that means?

You little twerps are in no position to have an opinion about anybody's #ing conformity.

I resent you calling my fellow American citizens "death" and dumb.

Contribute constructively or cease to breathe..

Death to fascism!

Death to this Thread!

God Bless America!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I love the word sheeple and peep's it's slick hay though my friends in N.Ireland think i can't spell but hay that's slick to

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Apologies if i offended you. Perhaps that was my own demons surfacing for a moment. You are right to argue my wording.

I should say the majority are simply blissfully unaware due to todays fast paced, media overload, drug induced society they are often not to blame. It takes quite the moment of disgust or clarity to break the chains and start a new.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Some words become common usage in a language. If a word conveys an idea it is likely to become common usage. Do you have a problem with "conspiricy theorists" or "tin hatters"?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This link kinda sums up how the media see's people.

ATS Thread

Think you'll have to get used to the term 'sheeple'...it's going to be around for a while.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

I have gave you a SnF because i really do think this is one of the best written rants i have seen in a while.

keep it up dude

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Magister

I don't 'have a problem with any words as i believe in freedom of expression. What i don't like to see is people using a term to berate or otherwise look down on another group of people for no reason.

Sure, i to get frustrated that not every man woman and child is join together in the fight for truth and liberty but i see no reason to alienate myself from others with less understanding to make myself and my 'community' feel better. You catch my drift?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Although it does seem to be a commonplace term and perhaps your right in that it will continue, i'll stick by my values and stand for them even if i should stand alone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join