It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO is Lt. Colonel Gibson? Does He Have The Key To WHO Gave 'Stand Down' Order?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Okay, it seems like there is very little about this officer, who Gregory Hicks spoke about yesterday at the Benghazi hearing. It seems he hasn't spoken publicly about the chain of command that resulted in the mysterious Benghazi 'Stand Down' order.
Obviously (according to Hicks), he was furious about receiving the order...and would definitely be able to tell congress from where his orders came. WHY hasn't he been questioned?

Gregory Hicks, the deputy chief of mission for the U.S. in Libya and the highest ranking official in the country at the time of the Benghazi attacks, testified before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday that Lt. Col. Gibson was “furious” after receiving a stand down order on the night of Sept. 11, 2012.

Hicks quoted Gibson as saying, “This is the first time in my career that a diplomat has more balls than somebody in the military.”

But who exactly is Lt. Col. Gibson, and is he the key to figuring out who specifically gave the stand down order on that fateful night?

That’s what a lot of people will likely want to find out in the coming days.

Here’s what we do know: Lt. Col. Gibson was a Special Operations Command (SOC) Africa commander when the U.S. compound was assaulted. As far as we can tell, he hasn’t spoken publicly about the Benghazi.

Further, a basic Google search on the Lieutenant Colonel yields surprisingly little information. Hicks testified on Wednesday that he believes the stand down order came from either AFRICOMM or SOCAFRICA.

However, he did not have any specific details on who ordered that the command be executed.

investordiscussionboard.com...
frontpagemag.com...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
*Time to put Truman's desk plaque on the current "Commander-In-Chief's" desk;
"The Buck Stops Here."

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Guess who is getting ready to commit suicide?

A couple of rounds to the back of the . should do it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Who would have given them a order? Leon Pannetta. Secretary of Defense. If he was not able at the time to make a order it would fall on John M. McHugh Secretary of the Army. Then it would go down the list Navy Air Force. The intelligence used to be second now they are 15th.

Newest.
Executive order 13533.

en.wikisource.org...

Previous.
Executive order 13394.

en.wikisource.org...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I think that only POTUS can order the stand down order.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yes, but if you read the current Fox on-line article about that affair, Gen. Dempsey is now said by a Pentagon spokesperson that:

"Asked to comment on Graham’s challenge to the chairman’s veracity, Pentagon spokesman Maj. Rob Firman told Fox News: 'They weren’t told to stand down. They were simply told not to go to Benghazi. They were told to go to the airport in Tripoli to provide security there.'”

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

How's that for Orwellian doublespeak?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

My question is why is the order controversial?

The plane they wanted to get on would have taken hours to get there...

There was already two Spec Ops teams en route...

These were only 4 Spec Ops guys armed only with 9mm side-arms...

There were protests at every embassy in the middle east...

And these guys were assigned to the Tripoli Embassy, the OTHER Embassy in Libya...

Would it not be a good idea not to abandon Tripoli embassy personnel? Given the possibility that both embassies would be attacked and that other, better equiped Spec Ops were already on the way and would arrive long before these 4 guys with just side arms?

I am genuinely confused why this stand down order is controversial...and BTW it was discussed, congressional hearings and all, months ago...the whole recycling of it seems partisan and politically opportunistic.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Yes, but if you read the current Fox on-line article about that affair, Gen. Dempsey is now said by a Pentagon spokesperson that:

"Asked to comment on Graham’s challenge to the chairman’s veracity, Pentagon spokesman Maj. Rob Firman told Fox News: 'They weren’t told to stand down. They were simply told not to go to Benghazi. They were told to go to the airport in Tripoli to provide security there.'”

So the Behngazi embassy personnel were evacuated to a CIA safehouse nearby and the CIA safehouse was attacked.

What does that tell you?

The four Spec Ops guys in Tripoli were evacuating embassy personnel to the airport...and wanted to leave them there standing in the airport unprotected and hop a flight to Behngazi...see info above...

Does that seem wise under the circumstances? Thier job was to protect that personnel...not leave them undefended, standing in the airport during a crap storm ....other fully equipped Spec Ops teams were already on the way and by any time estimate they would have arrived hours after it was over....and in fact the plane they wanted to get on didn't arrive in Behngazi until it was all over the next morning.

The Commander who told them to stay put made the right call...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
The Commander who told them to stay put made the right call...

You're probably right on that if they would have been leaving the embassy personnel in Tripoli unprotected. I wonder more about these questions:

1. Why were the 2 ex- SEALs at the CIA annex in Benghazi ordered not to go to the other compound to assist? According to news reports at the time, they chose to defy those orders and go anyway.

2. What about the statement by a congressman during the recent hearing that General Dempsey previously testified to Congress that they couldn't scramble a plane from Aviano Air Base in Italy for up to 20 hours because it was the middle of the night? Huh??? Shouldn't we have at least 1 fighter available faster than that?

3. Is it true that Rear Admiral Gaouette wanted to send help from his carrier strike group but was ordered not to and was then relieved of command when he said he was sending help against orders?

Those all seem like pretty big questions that weren't asked at the recent hearing.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A large special operations force is located in Naval Air Station Sigonella. A quick google search shows this to be true. It is less than a 2 hour flight from Sigonella to Benghazi in an AC-130. An AC-130 uses turbo props for flight. Basically a super fast propeller. No jet engines. If turbo props can get you to Beghazi in 2 hours, how fast would a jet engine get you there?

Drones bomb Pakistan without question violating the country's sovereignity. We don't ask Pakistan's permission to do this, but we asked Libya which caused a delay in response. They do so to kill terrorists, but won't to rescue fellow Americans?

I can not find a single instance anywhere on the internet or from reading where the State Department has been given ANY authority to deal with SOCOM. To the contrary they have been rebuffed of attempts in the past. Only the Commander-in-chief and a select set of DoD officers can order around SOCOM. So who gave that stand down order?

I don't want to hear about budget cuts and all that non-sense. I want an answer to these three questions.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
reply to post by JBA2848

I think that only POTUS can order the stand down order.

In a weekly email from my congresswoman, Ann Wagner, she stated:

On Thursday I appeared on the Dana Loesch show where I discussed the Benghazi hearings. As you may know, a team of U.S. Special Forces was denied authorization to go to Benghazi from Tripoli during the seven hour terrorist attack against the United States of America.

Dana asked me, "In your experience as a U.S. Ambassador, who gives such an order, who gives the stand down order?"

My answer: "The President of the United States"

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Over 700+ retired Special Forces veterans and 190,000+ individuals who signed an open letter demanding that Congress form a select committee to investigate the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi beg to differ with you.

The official story is full of holes.

This Administration lied straight face to the families of the fallen and told them is happened because of the Muhammed movie.

Talking points were revised 12 times.

2 ex-seals were left there to fight for 6 hours and the Calvary never showed. Who made that call to send them no back-up?

Too many questions were answered with lies.

edit on 5/11/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join